First Review by Salopian

Tasty vegan burger - Edit

It's a nice place, conveniently in the same building as my hostel and indeed right under my room. Normally I prioritize going to vegan restaurants but I appreciated the prominence they had given to their vegan option on the blackboard so I thought I'd give it a go. It's four months old but already seems well known in the city: a schoolchild for whom I did a tourism survey in the main square and her mum recognized the name instantly.

It is run and I assume owned by a very warm and attentive couple, an I think French guy and perhaps a Peruvian girl. She helpfully corrected him the first time I went after he had accidentally offered me pesto. He calls her "mi amor", which is very touching. Sometimes there was a third member of staff who was just as spot on. The first time I had ever seen her, she brought the basket of sauces over to me and seemed to read my mind, as I was anticipating turning it round but she did so instead, so that only the mustard and ketchup were towards me, saying "You're vegan, right?"

Each time I went I had the burger as part of a combo for 15 sols. There were quite a lot of sauce options (of which I had aji and mustard each visit), as well either sweet potato or normal chips (both of which I tried) and a drink of either purple maize or passionfruit (both of which I also tried). Paying an extra 2 sols for mushrooms was worth it.

The food was well presented and tasty. (The venue and in particular the presentation on a rustic wooden tray were pretty hipster, but that's fine by me.) Instead of a normal bread bap, it was in a kind of equivalent made from rice. This tasted nice but made it impossible to pick up with my hands, so I would have preferred bread, but they told me they cannot source vegan bread (which I can really empathize with as Peruvians, like most South Americans, for some reason like to ruin bread by adding mad ingredients to it without managing to make it in any way nice), so I really valued their making the effort to create an alternative. It also certainly did not stop me having it again.

I can't give a non-vegan place five stars but I hope within their vegan options they keep up the great work.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-17

Pros: Prominent vegan option in a non-vegan venue, Good location, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not all vegan

Return to Arequipa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Burger Chulls closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.