Bunte Burger

Contact 022166942129

Hospeltstr. 1, Cologne, Germany, 50825

In addition to its food truck which began service in 2014, Bunte Burger opened this storefront in 2015. Serves vegan burgers plus wedges and dips, smoothie and lemonade. Happy hour from 12:30-5:30pm on Fridays. Its truck parks at different locations - check webpage schedule. NOTE: Dec 2016 at the Roncalliplatz Xmas market (booth 94). Open Tue-Thu 5:30pm-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 12:30pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:30pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by bibliophile

Not vegan! - Edit

They serve vegan food — but a restaurant which uses flytraps in the summer IS NOT VEGAN!

Pros: Food is okay

Cons: 1. It’s not vegan

2 Responses

Upupu 15 Dec 2016 - I live vegan, my business partner lives vegan, we have a vegan power provider, all our dishes and and beverages are vegan, our soap and cleaning supplies are vegan, our bank is a "sustainalble" bank etc.
We succeed to have 70 - 80% non-vegan guests and they see us as a good tasting alternative to non-vegan food, so they don't eat animal products when they visit us. We have plenty of (regular) guests who recommend us so the positive effect to attract even more non-vegan guests increases and lifes are saved. We contribute a lot that vegan lifestyle is more socially accaptable. We want to go on this way and therefore we have to take action so that neither the health authorities close our restaurant nor the guests stay away. The vegan flytraps we tried didn't work in the kitchen. If you have have a better idea ask for Ulrich at the restaurant.
We respect life and nature and we are happy that there are people around who are the incarnation of the perfect vegan being and achieve even more than we do.
BTW: I can find a shortcoming with every PERFECT VEGAN BEING. I'm trained by loads of omnivores since years ;-)

Clara3000 02 Jan 2017 - I understand your position – but flytraps are not vegan. Sorry.

very nice - Edit

I went there on a nice sunny day, and found the atmosphere of the restaurant very nice. There are many options of burgers and it took me a while to finally choose one, which was very delicious. Also the sweet potato sticks with the aioli dip were great :) I totally recommend it.

Pros: nice atmosphere, great food

Went a few times, were sort of disappointed every time - Edit

We went to Bunte Burger's restaurant after having a delicious burger at their food truck - and were disappointed. To be fair, our hopes were quite high. We'd heard from many people that the burgers were awesome and everything was regional and organic.

Since we knew the charity burger from the food truck, we wanted to try something different from the menu. Sadly, all burgers we tried, except the pulled pork burger that was on special one time, were lacking flavour. They were not bad, but sort of boring. They sounded so delicious on the menu! :(

The fries were just bad. They are made from fresh potatoes, which, I think, is supposed to indicate higher quality. Unfortunately, this means that the potatoes are soggy and soaked with fat, not crispy at all. I think there's nothing wrong with using frozen and pre-fried fries. In this case, I think it'd probably end up being healthier, too, as the pre-fried and frozen potatoes don't soak up all the oil from frying. The onion rings were delicious but soaked in fat as well.

I had a salad there, one time, with a grilled portobello mushroom. The salad was good and the portobello delicious. A chocolate mousse I had there was delicious as well.

Considering that all ingredients are organic and mostly regional, I expect slightly higher prices than at a regular burger restaurant. However, I think that Bunte Burger is overpriced, especially keeping in mind the taste of the final product.

What's a plus is that the staff has always been very friendly.

I think that Bunte Burger has lots of potential and I'll come back every now and then to see if burgers are more flavourful and fries are less soaked in fat. So please please please, change something! There's nothing wrong with using a frozen product if it ends up tasting better! The burgers sound great on the menu, the combinations are creative and well thought-through. They just need some more flavour. When all that checks out, I'm more than willing to pay the prices that are on the menu now.

Pros: Potential!, Organic and regional products , Charity Burger

Cons: Soggy fries and onion rings that are soaked in fat, Overpriced, Burgers lack flavour

nice burgers but very pricey! - Edit

Bunte Burger is nicely decorated vegan bar/restaurant in Ehrenfeld.

Service stuff is very friendly and helpful but it took more than 40 Min. to get our burgers. I think, it is way too much.

The burgers were delicious but also pricey. I found the burgers from Hans im Glück better, but i would like to support my local and fully vegan bar. I will give another chance to this place and try another burger soon.

Pros: local beer, friendly stuff, fully vegan

Cons: service is extremly slow , pricey

Great Location - Edit

The location is awesome: Great architecture. The food is okay: The Burgers are quite good, the fries very bad. To expensive.

Update: After more visits I’d like to specify: The fries are better now, the quality of the burgers varies. But most important: It is absolutely overpriced!
Food: 4 Stars
Price: 2 Stars

fab junk food - Edit

Went here on Valentine's Day and it was pretty much booked up but they were able to find space for us 2 thankfully as it was awesome vegan junk food galore! We had the pulled jackfruit burger and the American 'chicken' patty with mushroom 'bacon', fries and onion rings - all amazing.

great spot - Edit

I came here with an omni friend of mine who's usually not a fan of meals not including any meat.
He had the Don Carleone, me the Bob Marley and we shared the sweet potato fries with curry mayo. His burger wasn't quite as tasty but he liked mine (so did I) and both kumara and mayo were incredible! Make sure to try the curry mayo!!
All in all the place has great food which even non-veg friends of mine like and very friendly staff. The place itself is a little clean and less cozy than other places but definitely worth a visit.

Pros: different, tasty

Cons: could be cozier

Sehr lecker! - Edit

I really liked the vibe, the peolpe and the food!
I had the Desperato Tex Mex Burger, the Vegetables in Bierbatter(?)and for dessert I had the mousse aus chocolat which was especially good...Kann ich nur empfehlen!(German for I strongly recommend it)... :)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good portions

Vegan and organic but fast food - Edit

You get a wide range of different burgers and pommes. The portions are big, the quality is moderate (our food was very salty). Although it is all vegan and organic, it is fast food and not very healthy.

Pros: Very friendly stuff

Cons: Very very loud place, Fast food, moderate quality

A true find!!!! - Edit

I recently eat at Bunte Burger and found the atmosphere inviting, the service staff fun and happy and the Tex Mex Burger scrumptious. I had a nice talk with the owner and shared some nice thoughts.
When in Cologne, I strongly urge you to visit this gem. I know I'll be back there soon. Enjoy.

Pros: Delicious food, Delightful outdoor seating , Fun and friendly staff

einfach nur sooo gut - Edit

soooo gut. lecker, frisch, regional. viele verschiedene burger, von denen bislang alle für extrem lecker befunden wurden (von mir ;)). meine favorites sind der alpen und der bob marley burger. bei den pommes (nach anfänglichen startschwierigkeiten - die pommes waren nicht lecker, mittlerweile seeehr gut) unbedingt die thousand islands sauce probieren. die Bedienungen sind bis auf eine etwas grummelige ältere super nett. insgesamt sehr empfehlenswert!

100% organic delicious burgers - Edit

I went there with one plantbased and one omni friend and all of us loved the burger. We all had the "mother teresa burger" of which 1 EUR goes to a charity. The wedges and the dip were also super yummy. Highly recommend!

Pros: organic ingredients, delicious burgers, great to wow omnis

The best vegan burger! - Edit

So far it was the best vegan burger I've ever had!
Very friendly staff who explained me their menu in English.
They have 4 choices of burgers. I had the Italy burger with a polenta steak. Very tasty and delicious although it became a bit messy to eat as the polenta was crumbling. I also had potatoes with a hint of paprika (I think it was that) and a very good lemon grass sauce.
Altogether this combo costed 8.90 eur. Definitely worth it!
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 18, 2014

Pros: great burgers, friendly staff, vegan and organic

Cons: no seating

Really great experience - Edit

My and my girlfriend were in Cologne about two weeks ago and we stopped in at Buntes Burger on a rainy day out. The staff were very friendly and both spoke excellent english, so any english speakers out there need not worry about language. I ordered the Charity Burger and my girlfriend got the Italian Burger, they were both fantastic! We also both got the potato wedges, which were extremely good, we both chose the same dipping sauce, but half way through the meal the staff offered us another dipping sauce for free, which was very nice of them, and the one they gave us was even better than the one we had chosen! :)
I can't recommend Buntes Burger highly enough, it was delicious and affordable, with fantastic service to boot! :)

Return to Cologne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bunte Burger closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.