Buddha's Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant

• Vegetarian
Contact 416-603-3811

666 Dundas St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5T1H9

Veggie restaurant serving Hong-Kong style Buddhist Chinese food. With a change of owners brings new menu options, and some others have been removed. Been around 1993. Mostly vegan with many soups, noodles, and other savory dishes. The e-fu noodles contain egg.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Buddhist

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom

Great local spot - Edit

Super popular with locals, this hosts a diverse range of authentic Hong Kong options. It's a busy, bustling place with limited tables, but there's a steady stream of folk passing through for their favourites.

Pros: Huge portions, Healthy tasting , Fast and inexpensive

Bland - Edit

We decided not to cook in the house tonight and made the road trip to Buddha's. We've heard lots about it. The prices were good and the food pipping hot and fresh.
Egg plant/tofu in black bean sauce - I found the tofu chunks too big.
Hot/Sour soup - It was bland. Not really sour or hot.
Noodle dish - perhaps their best go to item. Very tasty.

Pros: Noodles dishes ate best.

Cons: Bring your own chili oil.

Delicious, big portions - Edit

The food is delicious. The portions are huge. This is my restaurant of choice when I'm really hungry. The staff are wonderful.

Vegans: I believe the only thing on the menu that is not vegan is the e-fu noodles, which are made of eggs.

Pros: Big portions, Delicious, Wonderful staff

Cons: Not completely vegan

Well worth a try - Edit

To be frank, if I wasn't famished the first time we stumbled accross this place i would have looked in and walked out. It is now a family favorite - even impressing a very carnivor family member. The front has about 6 tables, but there are more tucked in the back. it us always a hub of activity but the food arrives hot within minutes of ordering. Our favorite dishes are the general taos chicken and the duck. The dishes are larger than you would expect. ( a word of caution - we usually leave with left overs) The prices are very resonable.

The front of the restaurant also sells veggie meats .

Pros: inexpensive , delicious , appeals to a variety of diners

Cons: older building

Cheap and yummy - Edit

went with my sister and her husband while visiting Toronto, they are carnivores. We all loved the food (i had the best thai noodle soup i ever had). clean, friendly, and in a great location. Price cant be beat.

Pros: Good amounts, Yummy, Nice atmosphere

Cons: TV on the wall with marketing media

Highly Recommended - Edit

I've been going to Buddha's Vegetarian for over 10 years, and it is definitely one of my favourite Toronto vegetarian restaurants. The food is delicious, comes out fast and hot, and the price - you can't get better than the price. I agree with others - don't go here alone. Bring a friend and if you order more than 1 entree, be prepared to bring some home. I also love the no-frills attitude. It just works.

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable price, Great atmosphere & staff

I love this place - Edit

This is still my favourite restaurant in Toronto after over 15 years!!!! They use very fresh ingredients and if you like huge meaty shitake mushrooms, look no further. I love the crispy spring spring rolls, imitation duck, soy rolls, and hot and sour soup... the cashew dish is also very nice or try the beancurd with mixed vegetables, like the duck, but loaded with veggies and Chinese delights like black moss and bamboo fungus. Bring a container for leftovers and eat all week!!!!

Pros: Huge Portions, Excellent Food , 100% Vegan

Cons: Atmosphere...., No Credit cards, No Bottled Water

Best hole in the wall ever - Edit

don't go here looking for charm. accept what it is. it's a hole in the wall. it's amazing. anyone who gives this place a bad review doesn't know what to order or is looking for something that this place is not. the people who run this place are friendly as long as you're not a prick. the fake duck is absolutely outstanding. the spring rolls are delicious. anyone who likes veggies should be able to appreciate that the veggies are always fresh. the veggie dish with cashews is really good. i no longer live in the area but i make a point to come back here every time i am in the neighborhood. i love this place beyond words. it's cheap. big portions. good food. go get some fake duck already!

quantity over quality - Edit

Well, they definitely have massive portions. When my boyfriend and I went I wasn't expecting such huge portions and thought it was weird when our server walked away halfway through our order. I guess they assumed we knew we'd be getting a huge casserole dish of food! So we ordered two dishes plus the large appetizer special. I can't say I really enjoyed any of it though. One of the things in the appetizer was okay, it was really the only thing that had a distinguishable flavour from everything else (it was gluten that had a sauce that was a bit sweet and acidic). It seemed like the sauce they used was just soy sauce, corn starch and water. Same sauce on both things we ordered.

I've heard that it's changed a lot in the past few years and it used to be amazing. I had heard a lot of great things so had been looking forward to it.

Pros: huge portions

Cons: huuuge portions, small, limited seating, not very good

Great food, Great Price. Great management - Edit

Well, the ambience isnt exactly 5 star, but its cozy, the service is friendly, the food is magnificant and very reasonable, and as an added nice bonus, it's very very vegan friendly. Also they have heaps of free buddhist literature. Great place. If you're in the neighbourhood, give it a try!

Pros: Good Price, Great food, friendly service

Great for those on a budget - Edit

I am a fan of Buddha's. This is the only place where I will order a mock meat - I love the duck here with the spicy sauce. I also enjoy the soy roll, a lot. The sweet and sour soup is a must if you are coming here for a meal to share. The rice and noodle dishes are good for the price, but not too impressive. You get a really great deal for the price - big portions, quick service even if the atmosphere is lacking somewhat.

Pros: Cheap, Quick service, Big portions

Cons: Atmosphere

Great value for your money - Edit

The portions here are huge and the prices are very inexpensive. If you are going for the first time, go easy on the ordering (one appetizer and main is more than you need) and be prepared to take home leftovers. The food is plain but reasonably tastey. The service is pretty fast. The washrooms and decor are not that great.

Pros: cheap, inexpensive

Cons: decor, washrooms

great veg deal - Edit

Looks like a hole in the wall. It's bigger inside. Friendly staff. Hearty, tasty food. Busy atmosphere - but cosy enough. Unbelievably inexpensive. Three of us (adults) got stuffed for $23.

Pros: cheap, good, friendly staff

The best deal in town - Edit

My gf and I go here with the express purpose of taking care of our next six meals. We order 4 or 5 dishes and take most of the food home having stuffed ourselves to the gills.

The atmosphere is also probably the worst in Toronto: low ceilings, harsh florescent lighting, not clean by any means. You aren't there to admire the decor.

Avoid the yam rolls at all costs. Most other items are safe. There's one dish which comes with approximately 2 kilograms of mock duck-ish tofu along with various veggies in a clear sauce (non-noodle). Ridiculous and ridiculously tasty. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure you could describe it successfully to the waitstaff.

Pros: best value in the city

Cons: dirty and potentially depressing int.

Huge Portions / Okay Food - Edit

We definitely should have read the reviews about this place--the portions are HUGE. 3 - 4 people could easily share a dish.

The food was pretty lackluster--it was like every other generic chinese food place with a good mock meat selection. We got 3 different dishes (whoops!) and they all tasted about the same--just with slightly different mock meats. The veggies were pretty weak as well--though I'm generally not happy unless my meal has broccoli.

Pros: cheap, huge portions

Cons: boring, huge portions

Don't go alone.... - Edit

I just went there for the first time and the portions really are HUGE! The staff is friendly and I kinda liked the busy atmosphere, but there was still some dirt on the bok choy in my meal- vegetable, rice, tofu and dirt?! not a mouth watering combination.
But I'm definetly gonna give it a secound chance, sometime in the future...

Pros: huge portions, cheap

Our go to - Edit

We go to Buddha's at least once a month. Most birhthdays we celebrate begin at Buddhas. Bring a few people, order a few dishes and the bill will likely be under 10 bucks per person including tip. There are two keys to a successful buddhas meal. First order appropriately. Portions are huge, one main dish will easily feed two people.
Second, order the right menu options. Some dishes are defintley better than others.

Best dishes
1) the duck-amazing. We get it every time we go
2) spring rolls-huge and amazing
3) #33-rice noodles-my favourite
4) #35-curry noodles-my partners favourite
5) cashew nut vegetable-vegetables, tofu and a generous portion of cashews
6) the sauces-the sweet and sour sauce and the chili sauce can't be beat.

Avoid:
1) yam rolls-very gross
2) wontons-very dry
3) The gluten plate-horrifying

Questionable: The hot and soup soup. This was a favourite for years but in the last couple months its been off more than 50% of the time.

All in all, Buddhas is a favourite and probably the vegetarian restaurant we frequent most often. Highly recommend it for a casual dinner with friends or a quick weekday lunch.

Pros: inexpensive, food quality

Cons: ambiance, the gluten plate

AMAZING value. - Edit

Buddha's is pretty amazing. The food is dirt cheap- even when I've been really poor I could justify eating out here. If you get Buddha's special with fried noodles ( under $7) it's enough to feed 2 hungry people and you'll probably even have left-overs! I've taken a bunch of people here over the years and they've always enjoyed it. I recommend the faux duck! My non-veg boyfriend is addicted to it. The only potential down-side is the complete lack of decor, it's a pretty austere place with white walls and harsh lighting. Nonetheless, food is amazing value, tasty and the servers/people who own it are pretty swell people too.

Pros: cheap, huge portions, faux duck!

Cons: food can be pretty greasy, ambience

Small place - HUGE portions - Edit

If I ate there every day, there would only be room for me in the entire restaurant. Each main course (about $8) is more than enough for two hungry people. It's basic food but the value for money is incredible.

Pros: Crazy cheap, Amazing value, Good wontons

Cons: Small dining area

Always Bring Containers or Order Just Half Portion - Edit

Mountains of Foods for 8 CND (excluding gratuity).
Both of us and our food container were totally full. Very nice tea (no tea bags- tea bags= bad for your health). We found it refreshing that none of the veg places we've been so far (in Toronto) uses tea bags. Most of them, including this place uses styrofoam for take outs. So, do bring your own reusables whenever possible, :)!

Pros: SUPER HUGE PORTIONS!, A MUST VISIT for Budget Travellers!!! , Will Be Back With Our Friends, :)!

Cons: Don't like their chili sauce (condiment), Very TINY SPACE, so do tip generously,:P, !!!

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Buddha's Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6041 times since Aug 2007.