Buddha's Thai Bistro

Contact 904-712-4444

301 10th Ave N, Jacksonville Beach, Florida, USA, 33250

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food restaurant. All sauces and curries reported to be vegan suitable. Has tofu and mock meats like chicken, fish, and shrimp.

Category: Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by djmichael

Delicious - Edit

Many vegan options. They offer soy chicken, soy fish, soy shrimp and tofu as protein alternatives. Was very good. Definitely would eat there again.

Pros: Vegan "meats"

Cons: Menus doesn't list meat alternatives

Good But Small Portions - Edit

The food was delicious, I tried the drunken noodles with soy chicken and extra veggies. I see that other people stated that the portions were worth the price but mine was extremely small for almost $20 for just the noodles. I dont know if it was because I did take out instead of dine in but I was expecting alot more food for the price.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Small Portion, Price

many options for vegans - Edit

love this place! a bit pricey, but that's why I suggest to go during lunch for their special. a lot cheaper. I love the yellow curry with soy chicken or the pad Thai. both are excellent. if you have a sweet tooth go for the Thai tea with coconut milk. all of the servers are really helpful for vegans so don't be shy to tell them when ordering.

Pros: options for vegans, great lunch prices , good atmosphere

Cons: low staff, pricey

There's a Vegan Menu! - Edit

I love that there is a well written truly vegan menu available, it really makes the communication and choosing what to eat easier. Because it is all delicious. This is the place I first fell in love with green papaya salad. It's amazing. I've had it so many times I can't count, and it's consistently well prepared. Their vegan Tom Kha is unbelievably flavorful. I recommend these two items with the tofu satay and the tofu summer rolls. My vegetarian kid loves their egg rolls as well.

Pros: Vegan Menu, Priced Reasonably, Consistent Excellent Quality

Cons: A little more variety might be nice., There's only one server working usually.

excellent! - Edit

I enjoyed the tom yum soup and they made the massamun curry without beef and added tofu. It's some of the best curry I've ever had. The staff was friendly. I'm visiting from out of town and can't promise I'll be back soon, but I will return to this restaurant when I return to Jacksonville.

Great For Vegans - Edit

I am always excited to go here! What I usually order is:
lunch special (usually around 11 dollars and you get a nice amount of food)-
appetizer- summer rolls (no meat)
soup of the day is usually the veggie soup which is good
salad that comes with it
and my entree is the drunken man noodles with NO egg and soy chicken which is absolutely amazing. I recommend this place to all vegans/vegetarians
I would give this 5 stars if I could!!

Pros: vegan, vegatarian, low cost

Cons: slightly under staffed

Wish there were more like it! - Edit

I found this gem on Happy Cow (thank you!) while searching for friendly eateries near Ponte Vedra FL. I took some friends who are non-vegan and a little conservative on the food front, so it was a little risky. Thankfully the food wowed ALL of us, especially me. Great menu full of choices and so customizable a vegan feels like a king in this place. Great spices, great preparation, really friendly and caring waitstaff. One big downer was the long wait, and there also was an issue with the food timing. Some guests recieved their soup, some didn't. Some had entrees, some were left waiting. But in their defense, the place was PACKED and it hit them fast. We walked in and groups of people started streaming in at the same time. I think they did the best they could, and did comp our soup to try to make it up to us. I just wish more places like this existed, especially in our home town. Highly recommend this place!!

Pros: Many Choices, Great Taste

Cons: Service a little slow

Formerly Buddha's Belly: Great service and food - Edit

It was my good fortune that the place I'd planned to go was closed on Mondays. Thanks to Happy Cow, I found instead Buddha's Thai Bistro, where I received perhaps the best service I've ever gotten at a restaurant. If money were no object, I would have left a 100% tip for my waitress. And the food was great, too.

Name change: Apparently another business by the name of Buddha's Belly brought legal action against this establishment, forcing it to change its name to Buddha Thai Bistro. However, as of August, 2012, the shopping center sign, the building sign, and the menu all still say "Buddha's Belly."

Thanks to the listing on Happy Cow, I knew that this restaurant had mock meats and was vegan friendly. You have to know to ask, because the menu does not make that clear.

I was surprised that this Thai restaurant had a mostly American wait staff. Most of the diners in the restaurant were American, too. But the owners and cooks are Thai--it is family owned.

Aside from tofu, one can get dishes with mock fish, shrimp, or chicken. One of the several questions I asked of my waitress was the source of the mock meats. If I recall correctly, it is a place called VegeUSA, out of CA. Though I'm not big on mock meats, the fake chicken I had in my dish was quite good.

Each time I asked a question of my waitress, she went back to the kitchen and came back immediately with an answer. I found that to be an amazing level of service.

The prices are a bit higher than I'm used to seeing in Asian restaurants, but this place is a cut above the rest, including its upscale ambiance. I got a kick out of seeing "Jeopardy" airing on the TV above the bar.

I ordered a dish from the Curry section of the menu called "Pra Ram (Amazing)," which is a "rich peanut curry sauce over spinach and steamed broccoli on a sizzling hot plate." I chose mock chicken, a generous portion of which came atop the vegetables. A large amount of sauce came in a gravy boat, so that I could pour it myself. Though not listed on the menu, carrots were a part of the dish.

For dessert, I wanted to try the vegan taro custard, but it was out of stock. So instead I ordered mango sticky rice. It was great, with perfectly ripe mango atop purple sticky rice, sprinkled with black and white sesame seeds and presented on a plate complete with a drizzle of kiwi dipping sauce.

Don't miss this place if you get the chance.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 18, 2012

Pros: Excellent service, Great food, Nice ambiance

Cons: Higher-than-average prices

Return to Jacksonville Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Buddha's Thai Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1306 times since Aug 2011.