Brown Sugar Cafe

Serves meat, vegan options available. A variety of international cuisines are served, including some of which are vegan - please inquire. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Non-veg

First Review by begleym

Surprising find! - Edit

I was playing with my HappyCow app when we stopped here on a recent roadtrip and was surprised to see something come up!

Great service, and not only an awareness of vegan-ness, but also a willingness to oblige. I spotted at least two vegan sweets to go with my coffee (with almond milk). The fruit cake looked amazing, but I went for the choc raspberry tart.

They also had chocolate (pana), chips and other vegan items to take with you. I didn't ask, but there may have been more options.

Nice place to sit, inside or out. The best coffee I had in New Zealand, highly recommend if you are in the area.

Good place to stop on a journey - Edit

Brown Sugar Cafe is a surprising find in an area of NZ where there are not many other place offering vegan food.
If you are travelling up or down the North Island it is a good place to stop for lunch or a snack.

They have some vegan options available and are prepared to change items that aren't vegan if it is possible. I had a vegetable samosa with salads (and not just plain lettuce and tomato type salad but a selection of different ones).

They also have vegan cakes and snacks, I had a piece of fruit cake that was very nice and very fruity.

The cafe itself is in what initially looks like a shop and also has a lovely garden out the back to sit in and relax.

Pros: Good food and reasonable vegan choices, Nice relaxing garden to eat in

Return to Taihape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brown Sugar Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.