Brown Sugar Bakery and Cafe

Contact 215-472-7380

219 S 52nd St (at Chancellor), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19139

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has roti with mock meat and vegan cake. Casual, mostly takeout, with 2 booths for seating.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out, Trinidadian, Non-veg

First Review by veganbuttercream

unique place, and so delicious! - Edit

I really think it is well worth cupporting this kind of spot. I love Soul-veg and other kind of Afrocentric spots like this to eat. I think that veganism can be a really complicated thing when you factor is class and race issues. Anyway, about the food! This place is so filling and you can get one with your broke friend and almost almost be full, right? But you and your friend will be sitting in Malcolm X Park basically licking the wrapper! Anyway, I don't think it's worth worrying about this spot being ina bad neighborhood- just use common sense and be respectful and thankful that this yummy food exists. Overall a total Philly punk-vegan classic place to eat! Hurrah!

Pros: rastamen with huge dreads , cool music , not annoyingly white and squeaky clean

Cons: a little out of the way , not fully veg : ( , wish it'd be a teeny bit cheaper!

Amazing veg roti - Edit

I have scoured the east coast looking for a similar roti, because no one will go with me into this area of West Philly to get another, and as a young white chick with little street sense, it's probably not smart for me to go alone. Sigh. I tried their roti, deliciously packed with curried potatoes, peas, and mock meat, when someone brought me takeout. I desperately want to return. It is so good, and such a rarity to find a place that sells Caribbean roti with a mock meat option. I haven't found any others! Definitely try this place. Good, inexpensive, delicious.

Pros: delicious, huge, filling roti

Cons: area?

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brown Sugar Bakery and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1506 times since May 2010.