CLOSED: Brookland Cafe

Contact 202-635-6307

3740 12th St NE (at Washington DC), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20017

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar and cafe with a separate vegan menu with that includes faux fish, chicken tenders, and veggie burgers made from beet, potato, and carrots. Has a vegan salad dressing. DEC 2015 REPORTED SHUT. Open . Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by hotirah

Very Cool Spot - Edit

When I went to D.C. to visit friends, we went here just to get out of the house. The place was a bit crowded however my food was great. I had the faux chicken & fish with french fries & iced tea. The atmosphere was very cool & eclectic (which is my type environment).

Pros: Great vegan options

Cons: Needs more staffing on Friday & Saturday nights.

American-style comfort food - Edit

When you walk in, you see a small space with a large, well-stocked bar and a bunch of high tables with colorful and comfortable seats/ stools. The atmosphere is very relaxed. Pretty easy to find parking, it's not in the "main drag" of the Brookland area, and if Metro is your transportation, pretty easy to get there, too.

There are about half-a-dozen choices for vegan entrees: veggie wrap, chikn tenders (jerk or regular), chikn sandwich, chikn curry with cabbage, chikn salad sandwich, bbq chikn sandwich, fish sandwich and a shrimp basket. You can choose a salad, as well, and add vegan shrimp or chikn. The sides are vegan friendly if you order fries, mixed veggies, spinach, cole slaw or potato salad.

What I really like about this place is they are really nice and attentive, and they know how to fry food. I hate when food is fried at the wrong temperature, and then it is just greasy. The food here was delivered perfectly, at a superb temperature with perfect crispiness. I ate my whole sandwich and sweet potato fries, and barely blinked! I didn't even mean to do that!

This is my go-to place now for vegan chikn sandwiches and sweet potato fries. Awesome. Except… if you're concerned for gluten/ wheat/ fake meat/ fried food/ calories… this is not a good place for you.

Pros: Vegan chikn, Vegan sweet potato fries, Staff is amazingly nice

Cons: Fried, Gluten, Fake-meat heavy

Best bet in Brookland - Edit

i've eaten at Brookland Cafe maybe 100 times now. i'll never forget my first visit--super unassuming exterior (you might not even realize it's not abandoned) reveals a tiny but high-swank little restaurant. The folks who work there are super positive, push vegan options DIY many if not most of the sauces. Everything's got a little zing to it.

Cuisine is American--burgers, fries and other sides.

The vegan options which are extensive--choice of about 8 sandwiches, a half-dozen sides (more if you're ovalacto).

i recommend bringing a friend so you can share the vegan shrimp appetizer (white yam). i'd get the vegan fish sandwich, fries (mixed spicy & lemon seasoning), slaw or carrot salad and a lemonade.

Sandwiches are in the $8 range.

i hear tell the chef used to work at Soul Veg, but i've no confirm on that.

Pros: Vegan menu section with like 8 options, Positive energy people, Mostly in-house-made sauces and drinks

Cons: Often crowded at night, Swank factor can be alienating, Not all vegetarian

The best vegan food I know of..... - Edit

I enjoy my trip to the Brookland Cafe everytime I go. They have the best vegan menu, I especially like their vegan chicken strip and vegan shrimp. These two item are a must try. One thing that I wish they would do is get the young lady that they had to serve on the morning shift back. I think she was a vegan chef too.She was the best when it came to customer service.But anyway back to the food, The bread that they serve on all their sandwiches is vegan and the vegan chef is the best around. Keep up the good work....
And the place is nice and clean and quaint. I wish they get some more comfortable chairs, but all in all a nice enviroment to have a nice drink and awesome vegan food.....

Pros: food, chef, price

Cons: uncomfortable chairs, not open on sunday

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Brookland Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1638 times since Nov 2010.