Broken City

Contact 403-262-9976

613 11th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, AB T2R 0E1

Serves meat, vegan options available. A social club and live music venue. Has happy hour. A few labeled vegan choices such as cauliflower wings, chickpea fries, grilled vegetable salad, and hummus plate. Possibly uses same fryer as meat - ask. Mon-Sun 11:00am-2:00am

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8

Wicked Music and Food - Edit

Don't come here if you expect to eat with a serviette on your lap, this place is chill, laid back, great music and great food. Cauliflower wings were delicious (especially eaten on the patio on a nice sunny day). They have awesome reggae and drum and bass playing, which is even better when you're eating from the Jamaican menu cooked by Chef Ouda. Bean stew was sooooo good and they even have the proper hot sauce for it. Definitely recommended if you're tired of having the same Asian inspired veggie dishes!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 14, 2016

Pros: Vegan options, Music, Jamaican Menu

Vegan Pub Food - Edit

Really great experience, went with my (non-vegan) boyfriend for a couple beers and food before the Flames game. The Bartender/Server was very friendly and the food was delicious. I had the lemon pepper jack cauliflower wings which were awesome. My boyfriend ate a non-veg meal and said it was great too so I think it's a good place to go if your group is dynamic with their eating habits. We joked that the place was kind of a whole in the wall, but that's all part of its charm I wouldn't have the scratched up beer-stained tables any other way.

Pros: Vegan Pub Food, Good Service, Great Atmosphere

Cons: Outside looks run down

Vegan pub food! - Edit

HUGE fan of the chickpea fries! Veggie burger is also vegan and gluten free, as is the vegan chili.
One of the only pubs in calgary with such diverse options for us and one of the only places where we can go and eat late.

Acceptable Vegan Options - Edit

We went for brunch and had the apple cinnamon pancakes. They were ok. They came with maple syrup. They were a bit healthy tasting for me, as they were made with whole wheat flour or buckwheat or something. I never understand why people seem confused about the fact that white flour is vegan! Anyway, they were alright. Then we had the breakfast bowl, which was supposed to be vegan chili over hash browns, with fried tofu on top. It came with eggs on top the first time. I noticed right away and the server apologized and fixed it. But when the tofu version came it was pretty good. The chili was good, the tofu was thin and crispy, and the hash browns were ok too. My only suggestion would be for them to marinate the tofu first because it was a bit tasteless. Despite that, I enjoyed the breakfast bowl more than the pancakes.

Pros: Vegan options are clearly labelled

Cons: Dingy bar atmosphere

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Broken City closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2455 times since Nov 2013.