Brickwall Tavern

732-774-1264

530 Cookman (at Bang Ave), Asbury Park, New Jersey, USA, 07712

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar atmosphere offers comfort food with vegan dishes and ones that can be made vegan.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by pandora_13

Pleasantly Surprised! - Edit

We'd passed this place a million times before, but never thought to go inside - it looked like just another sports pub. But this past weekend we were out with a craft beer loving friend, who caught sight of the Founders sign in the window and convinced us to give it a shot. I'm really glad we did!

The space itself has a good vibe. Its brick and wood interior imparts a warm, inviting feel; simple, lighthearted décor keeps it fun. I could see hanging out here over a few drinks with friends. However, on this occasion, we were here to eat...

I was happy to see several menu items were marked with a "V" for vegetarian – a thoughtful gesture that takes the guesswork out of things, which I always appreciate. A few items were vegan (or easily veganizable) as well. I went with the Black Bean Burger: a simple bean-based patty paired with smoked cheddar, sliced avocado, and a flurry of super thin and crispy deep fried onion strips, all atop a Kaiser roll. (I think there were some corn kernels on there as well... but honestly, most of them rolled off the thing.) It wasn’t the best or most exciting bean burger I’ve had, but it was fresh and tasty... and a few dashes of hot sauce added just the right amount of zing. (And honestly, it was nice just to not get served a Boca Burger.) I asked them to substitute Tater Tots for the homemade chips, which they did without fuss. There were a ton of tots on there, too. They’re not stingy with the sides! I also sampled my boyfriend's Aged White Cheddar Mac & Cheese; it was a bit dry, and a bit bland – but not bad at all.

Our omnivorous friend had the Port Wine Cheddar Burger, and Chicken Wings as an appetizer. He was pretty happy with both. Definitely a place for "mixed crowds".

I’m not a huge beer fan, but even I was impressed with their selection. This stuff’s not cheap, though; my beer cost as much as my burger. Eek! Luckily the food was reasonably priced...

All in all, this place was a pleasant surprise. I’m glad we finally tried it out. It will definitely be added to our list of go-to food joints in the Asbury area!

Pros: Several clearly marked Veg options, Warm, fun, casual atmosphere, Great place for "mixed crowd" gatherings

Return to Asbury Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brickwall Tavern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.