brennNessel

Contact +49-3514943319

Schützengasse 18, Dresden, Germany, 01067

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cozy place in one of the oldest houses in the city. Offers primarily vegetarian food except for a couple non-veg items. Has a separate vegan menu. Menu items can be read also in the English translation. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, European, Non-veg

First Review by Petesternz

Same menu for years, serve meat - Edit

We have been here a few times, every time we visited Dresden, but as there are good all-vegan alternatives now, we probably won't come here again.

It's a very busy place, so if you haven't booked your table, you need to be very lucky to find a free one. Last time we went there, we booked a table on their website, but as we arrived, they denied having received our reservation, so we had to wait until someone left. As most people don't tend to stay there for hours, we luckily didn't have to wait very long.

You have to ask for the vegan menu specifically, for whatever reason they don't bring it with the normal menu.

The restaurant would be vegetarian but for the few meat dishes and I don't understand why they can't be consistent and ban the meat from their menu and become a real vegetarian (or - even better - vegan) restaurant. They actually call themselves "vegetarian restaurant" on their website!

I have to say I can't warm to their (vegan) menu. I have never been in a vegetarian or vegan restaurant where there was hardly any option that really tempted me. On the normal menu, everything seems to be drowned in cheese, and on the vegan menu most dishes are served with a vegan cream cheese. They don't seem to be capable to do real sauces, so everything is quite dry and uninspiring. Usually it's dry vegetables and a carbohydrate side, there is just one dish on the vegan menu that comes with tofu and one stew with chickpeas.

Having said that, the quality of the food is good and everything seems to be freshly made.

Pros: beautiful old house with wooden beams

Cons: also serve meat, very busy atmosphere, always crowded, uninspiring menu

Innovative food - Edit

They have an interesting menu with an exciting combination of ingredients, making you want to try them all. Nice soups, salads and pasta dishes. Highly recommended !

What i didn't like is that they charged us something like 3 euro's for a caraf of still water. I don't know if it came from the tap or from a bottle, but i think that water should come free, anywhere and everywhere.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 24, 2015

Cozy Place - Great Food - Edit

The interior and outdoor seating of this place is very cozy. The staff is very friendly and they provide a separate menu with vegan options. We had some vegan casseroles, which were absolutely delicious. All was prepared freshly. The portions are quite big too. I can only recommend this place.

Pros: Vegan options on a separate menue, Nice interior, Friendly Staff

Cons: Even more vegan options would be nice

Wide variety - Edit

The brennNessel offers a wide variety of interesting dishes on their menu. We went for the cauliflower pecan and the sweet potato casseroles. Both were very tasty. Service was also absolutely impeccable.

Absolutely delicious - Edit

Perfect place for a nice dinner. Bring enough time, because everything is being freshly prepared. Menu is being changed on a regular basis, so even locals won't get bored with it. Meals are usually very creative, everything I tried was delicious.

Ask for the vegan menu AND point out you would like a vegan option while you order (some dishes have a non-vegan option on the regular-menu, so sometimes staff mixes up things...). Waiters are friendly (yet sometimes a bit stressed out).

Pros: VERY delicious, vegan menu

Cons: stressed-out staff

Delicious! - Edit

Thanks to the Happy Cow app for leading us to this charming spot. It felt like a warm and cozy hobbit's house. We ended up coming back for a second time, it was so tasty. The first night, I had the manicotti stuffed with squash, chestnut, and mushrooms baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheese and toasted walnuts. It was amazing! It captured the dense, and heavy quality of a german meal, while adding unique ingredients. My german finance had the curry bake with sauerkraut and feta. He said it was very good. For the second time around, i had a soup with pear, squash, and coconut milk. best soup ever, and i make a lot of soups! for the main, i had a pasta dish with gorgonzola and pear. it was good, but the manicotti had more oomph. my fiance had a mediteranean feta bake. unfortunately there was no room for desserts, these dishes are so generous and filling. Reservations are recommended, as both times it was full and luckily each time people were friendly enough to share their table with us. It is also animal friendly, as one of the ladies we were sitting with had her dog with her, which was great. I've seen quite a few other places like this in germany, i wish if restaurants here in Montreal were more pet friendly like this place. My only regret is not having tried the nettle soup. Ah well, next time!

Pros: Unique and interesting flavour combos, Nice ambience, Pet friendly

Cons: reservation highly recommended

Very Good Restaurant - Edit

Large variety of dishes, with unusual combinations and nice ingredients. Taste was very good. We had a bead root salad as a starter, black lentil curry and gnocchi with dates rosemary feta cheese and dates as main dishes. The curry could have been a bit more flavourful, the gnocchi were outstanding. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere. Good selection of drinks.

Pros: Many Vegetarian Dishes, Good Quality , Prices Ok

Good place to go - Edit

We visited Dresden in May at the start of a very wet spell of weather. Finding BrennNessel wasn't easy as our map was poor and soon got wet, but it was certainly a worthwhile expedition as the restaurant was excellent. Busy when we arrived, the staff made us welcome and found a table, looked after us without fuss and generally helped us to understand what was on offer
We had two veg bakes, big portions and some beer. Excellent food. We noticed that the extensive menu did have a few dishes containing ham (though referred to in the ingredients) but there were lots of vegetarian options available.
We tried to return the following evening but there were no tables. A very popular restaurant and recommended.

Pros: Good choice of dishes, Popular, good atmosphere, Good beer and wine

Cons: Watch out for the ham in some dishes

never again - Edit

I was in the restaurant for the second time yesterday, 12th of May 2012, for celebrating my Birthday with my boyfriend, as the first time we went there the food was quite good. We asked for the vegan menu and ordered something little before the main course. We got not exactly what was in the list, and we noticed that there was butter on it. But, as we ordered vegan, we thought it was margarine. Then, the rest came and it was covered with cheese. That was not easy to change with fake cheese.... The waitress had forgotten to say the chef that everything should have been vegan. That can happen, the waitress was young and probably new. But when you make such a big mistake, you shoul at least say sorry or bring something to kill the time, some bread or something. The manager was quite nervous and almost giving us the blame of what happened. We were sitting there almost 2 hours waiting. And what we got was quite terrible. My course had almost no taste, the gnocchi for my boyfriend had a very strange taste - and for the price, they should have been hand made, but they were from supermarket-pack for sure (I am italian and know gnocchi very well). Anyway we ate it beacuse we hated the idea of another course thrown away. We said anyway the waitress-manager what we thought about the meal and her answer was "you know, it is vegan...." that has made such a bad impression! how can you say such a thing?? if it is vegan then must be terrible??? this is not the answer of someone running a vegetarian restaurant, it is the answer of someone ignorant about food and about dealing with customers. The customers are always right! and we would have been really happy to talk about the meal, but we met a wall in front of us. I am sorry to say that, because the idea of a vegetarian restaurant is very good, but I have a very bad feeling and will never go there again.

Pros: nice place, good idea of a vegetarian restaurant, vegan menu

Cons: unfriendly stuff, bad food, high prices

Separate vegan menu - Edit

My husband were looking for a dinner place and this happened to be around the corner from the hotel. When we first saw the menu we noticed very few vegan options, so we asked the waitress. She immediately brought us an all vegan menu with pretty good choices.

My husband had gnocchi and I had an asparagus salad. We also had drinks and a bottle of wine and paid 35€ including tips. We will probably go back tomorrow.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Extensive vegan menu, Good wine

Cons: A little on the slow side

Veg or Not? - Edit

We went here last month and sat waiting for some time for a server. I asked for a menu in English and the one we got was confusing with very odd translations (I speak a bit of German). While they now claim to be a vegetarian restaurant, I can't verify that. And almost nothing seemed vegan, with some sort of kase (cheese) in the descriptions.

I finally got up and asked the waitress for some help with the menu and she told me to sit down and wait for her. I thought I didn't understand her at first, so I said I just had some questions. (The restaurant was nearly empty and I went up to her at the bar/counter) She was pretty surly and told me again to go sit down and wait for her. I walked back to the table, we grabbed out coats and left.

Pub Like atmosphere - Edit

Seemed quite a vibrant place. There were english menu's provided which - although we were practising our german - was a nice touch so we could compare and learn words. Food very pleasant as was the drinks. Place clean and friendly.

Pros: Excellent food, English Menus

Best experiences in Dresden - Edit

Lovely, cozy place. The food was super good (and the portions huge), as were the drinks. We were served by a waiter who was so friendly and smiling happily all the time. If we ever visit Dresden again, we'll definitely have lunch at this restaurant.

A delightful shelter from the world - Edit

This restaurant is located in an environmental centre in a delightful old building close to MItte station. There is a plant-strewn courtyard to the rear, where we chose to sit.

The main menu is over 90% vegetarian and available in German and English ("Kann ich die Englische Speisekarte haben, bitte?"); the separate four-page vegan menu is only in German, but the dishes are nearly all adaptations of the standard ones. There was so much choice it was hard to make up my mind.

We'd been travelling all day, and appreciated the late opening hours. I opted for the vegan soylanka - a rich tomato and gherkin stew with fried tofu, served with bread. To my surprise, my partner did not go for one of the few meat dishes, but had a classic mozzarella and tomato panini. The meat in the meat dishes did look like an afterthought, which makes a change from the usual situation.

Our meal was accompanied by a couple of beers from the small but interesting beer list. It included local specialities and organic beers from all over Germany. The restaurant also has its own wine and herb liqueur. The courtyard was a lovely and relaxing place to be, and helped us get over a day in the hands of the airlines.

This would be 5 cows if it this site wanted to reward and encourage non-veggie places that go well beyond the call of duty (and this is Germany we're talking about, where anything other than a bit of bread and cheese is a blessing), but I'm not allowed to give it the rating it deserves. I had a much better meal here than in nearly every exclusively vegetarian restaurant I've been in, and I've been using vegetarian restaurants for over 25 years now.

Pros: lots of vegan options, late opening, beautiful atmosphere

Cons: slightly hard to find

great atmosphere, great food - Edit

quaint, romantic place with a great menu. mostly vegetarian, english menus if requested. lots of variety in the menu. i had a great salad and soup. in a bit of a strange location, but still only 15min walk from historic center. highly recommended if you are in dresden.

Pros: atmosphere, great food, friendly english-speaking staff

Cons: location

Nice place, with good food - Edit

BrennNessel is a (mostly) vegetarian restaurant that caters to vegans. They have a special vegan menu available on request, though it is only in German. The restaurant is beautifully designed, and a treat to visit. It is really cozy, all set out in wood, with a lovely deck if the weather suits. We ate there twice, and the food was really quite good on the whole, though not particularly adventurous for vegans. As a previous reviewer noted, the vegan dishes tend to be the vegetarian dishes minus the cheese. Still, we ate well. The minestrone soup was an excellent one of its type, and it is a huge portion (though it should be given the price). The mushroom and couscous salads were also really tasty. We did not choose the hotter dishes, as they did not particularly inspire. Service was really friendly on both visits. Overall, well worth visiting, and the best vegan option in Dresden we found.

Pros: big portions, beautiful venue, separate vegan menu

Cons: not much vegan

Return to Dresden Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has brennNessel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.