Breda Murphy Restaurant

+44-1254823446

41 Station Rd, Whalley, England, BB7 9RH

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family run restaurant and delicatessen offering a vegan menu, which will change four times a year, as the main menu does. Vegan options might be the soup of the day and items like confit cherry tomatoes bruschetta, pickled carrots & cashew granola, penne pasta with roast plum tomato sauce, leek marjoram & spinach gratin, roast pepper couscous salad, panfried mushrooms on toast, plus sorbet and chia pudding for dessert. Chef is aware of the vegan diet.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by Veganolive1

Vegan Menu Available - Edit

Breda Murphy underwent a major refurbishment earlier this year and it looks fantastic. I have visited several times with its good transport links by train. I have sampled all the current vegan menu, so dishes like mushroom soup, salt baked beetroot salad, penne pasta, leek, spinach & chickpea gratin, pan fried mushrooms with tenderstem broccoli & lemongrass curry oil on toasted bread, apple compote & sorbet, chia pudding. My only critique is portion sizes, the mushroom soup for example was a substantial portion served with bread but compared to the beetroot starter I had last visit and the sweet potato falafel dish my husband had, was tiny.... for those with big appetites you would be feeling hungry. I did comment on this to our waitress.

I researched the wine list prior to my visits and found several vegan wines on the list, but sure if I dug deeper I would find loads more, maybe one day they will be clearly labelled.

The food is perfectly cooked, delicious, well seasoned and presented on the plate, so you want to dive in and eat. As much as possible is made on site like the bread. However on my last two visits, the soup was not vegan (although it is on the vegan menu), so it reduces your starter options to two. With main courses you need to order sides, but then the cost ramps up. So if you are looking for huge piled up plates of food, this is not the place for you. Service is friendly, always with a smile and I will return, as I like to support places offering vegan menus, but perhaps they will look at the soup & portion sizes perhaps add bread to bulk some of the dishes out like the beetroot salad.

Updated from previous review on 2017-10-03

Pros: Vegan Menu, Vegan Menu will change seasonally, Great transport links especially from Manchester

Cons: Vegan wines not labelled but there are some, Small portions

Return to Whalley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Breda Murphy Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.