CLOSED: Breathe Bookstore Cafe

• Vegetarian

Contact 410-235-7323

810 W 36th St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21211

Bookstore cafe serving vegetarian food, bakery items, and beverages. Has gluten free, free Wi-Fi. Sells new and used books. Confirmed closed, Jan 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Indian, Organic, Raw, Take-out

First Review by lbohlen

Sunday Brunch.. Or Just Brunch - Edit

Breathe Books is one of my favorite places! My BFF & I love to have Sunday brunch here over Rainforest Muffins (my fave!) and coffee. I really love their organic, sustainable and local, largely vegan food with plenty of gluten-free and refined-sugar-free options. I love the soups and the vegan, gf, savory tart is my absolute favorite. I'm also a huge fan of their smoothies and chai tea lattes! It's also great to be surrounded by books, though I'm never sure if I'm allowed to look at them while I'm eating...

Breathe Books also offers lots of classes, and I think it's really neat that the owner (Susan) is usually around to answer any questions and brings a bright, happy presence to BB.

The only negative is for people who have sensitive hearing (my mom is easily affected by noise and crowds and didn't enjoy the set-up) or people who have walkers or wheelchairs or crutches. The bookstore is on the narrow side, so when I have a large purse, I have to be very careful not to knock everything over. In the summer, spring, and fall, though, this problem is mitigated because you can eat outside on the beautiful patio. The rest of the year, larger parties can eat upstairs - but eating up there pretty much feels a bit isolating.

Overall, I recommend it for brunch or for a cup of tea!

Pros: Great for Coffee, Good for an Outdoor Brunch

Cons: Accessibility an Issue

Really Pleased with It! - Edit

Food: 10. Everything I had was DELICIOUS: half of a tempeh/lentil patty sandwich, a cup of squash mac n cheese, and a piece of raw chocolate cheesecake.

Price: 8. It's sort of pricey, but considering it's all fresh, healthy, and hand-made, that's pretty standard.

Atmosphere: 8. Really charming and quaint, but on the tiny side. I love the tables that are shaped like tree stumps and the painted/colorful chairs.

Staff: 10. The guy serving me at the counter was super friendly and helpful! A woman who also worked in the store was also very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Many vegan options, Tasty, Charming atmosphere

Cons: Somewhat pricey, Small inside

yummmmmmm - Edit

Blue corn strawberry muffin is my favorite thing on the menu. Lunch of lentil salad on a bed of greens was very satisfying. The chili and the polenta with black bean salsa make a great meal. Counter Culture coffee chases down the chocolate macaroons nicely.
I'm a tall guy, so I wish the tables were a little bigger, but the coffee bar outside with a view of the Avenue more than makes up for this.
Updated from previous review on Friday June 28, 2013

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 27, 2013

Pros: great food, nice staff, wifi

Cons: smallish tables

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Breathe Bookstore Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2432 times since Jun 2013.