Breads on Oak Cafe & Bakery

• Friend
Contact 504-324-8271

8640 Oak St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70118

Serves meat, vegan options available. European boulangerie atmosphere bakery and cafe. Makes artisan bread of which many are vegan. All of the muffins, brownies, cookies, and cakes are vegan and mostly organic. The breakfast and lunch items that are vegan suitable are marked with (V). During Mardi Gras season it offers vegan king cakes which are available for shipping. As of Jan 2016 it is offering vegan beer and organic wine. Connected to the cafe is a house & studio apartment for rent (inquire for details). Open Wed-Sat 7:30am-3:00pm, Sun 7:30am-1:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by peterlcho

Breads on Oak...Very Vegan Friendly - Edit

The vegan selection at Breads on Oask will blow you away! There are displays upon displays of vegan pastry galore (all labeled!) and a crew of very knowledgable staff behind the counter! I ordered the tofu scramble on a pumpkin "cheddar" biscuit that came served nice and warm from the toaster. Breads on Oak is the best quality baking I have had in a long time, and I highly recommend it. There are a few inside tables and some outdoor seating.

Pros: Vegan selection, Clearly Labelled, Delicious

So Wanted to Try - Edit

When we learned that Seed had closed, we were told this was the only place in town to get vegan beignets, and only by special order. Alas, they are only open a few days a week and none during our visit. No one answered the phone when I called, hoping to order some beignets to pick up on the way out of town.

Pros: vegan beignets?

Cons: limited hours, no way to order

Exceptional and stupendous! - Edit

This wonderful place has a superb vegan menu, and the absolute best bread in New Orleans. Everything is made from scratch and onsite. There is not a single item that is not delicious and mouth watering, as I have tried it all and keep coming back. The staff and the owners are so friendly and helpful, one would have to try to not smile the entire time of placing your order. Fantastic coffee, free bread samples, homemade preserves (on occasion). Outside seating in a intimate, closed courtyard tops off the ambience. Do not miss this eatery/bakery when you visit out wonderful city or miss out on a most rewarding experience, great customers and superb food!

Pros: Many, many vegan options, superb staff/owners, Excellent coffee

Cons: I can't eat here every day., They do have to close sometimes.

My Eyes Popped! - Edit

I walked into Breads on Oak not knowing it offered vegan food. At first I was speechless; then kept saying 'And this is vegan! And this! And this!' This place is vegan heaven. Vegan paradise! So many options, from sandwiches to breakfasts [biscuits with tofu fillings of various sorts; tortas; quiches] to all the sweets we never fine unless we cook them ourselves -- wee pies [the chocolate one; Oh my!], croissants, cookies, truffles, muffins, breakfast cakes. I went back every day during my trip to New Orleans, ate something different each day [took their sandwiches on my daily jaunts], and EVERYTHING I tried was super deliciously fantastic! There are a few non-vegan items but primarily their offerings are vegan, organic, and much is from local sources. If you visit New Orleans, DO NOT MISS Bread on Oaks.

Pros: Many vegan options, Each option is fantastically delicious, Both savory and sweet products

Cons: none, none, none

Hooray for Breads on Oak! - Edit

Absolutely wonderful food. The vegan king cakes they had during Mardi Gras were so good! We tried 2 different flavors: cream cheese filled (yep, that was vegan), and cinnamon. The cinnamon was the favorite and was eaten in 1 day. I say that with no shame, you would understand if you had it. Delicious freshly baked goods, SO MANY vegan options, and a super friendly/helpful staff.
Beautiful outdoor seating in the back and a few chairs inside and out front.
Follow them on Facebook to stay up to date on what goodies they have in store for you that week, sometimes beignets make an appearance, sometimes eclairs, you just never know! They've mentioned that they may choose to stay open later than their current hours too!

Pros: Delicious, Vegan King Cake during Mardi Gras, Friendly Attentive Staff

Delicious - Edit

I am so glad I found this place during my quick stop in New Orleans. My husband and I are vegans and made a road trip with my sister and her boyfriend (both carnivores). One of the reviews here advertised the vegan croissants that this place offers. We decided to stop for breakfast. On the day we stopped by, they had no vegan version of the croissants prepared as they seem to rotate their offerings throughout the week.

No reason to be disappointed though, none of us left hungry and everything was just delicious. I was particular impressed with the vegan Quiches, the sandwich with raw food toppings and the non-dairy milk options. We could get the cappuccino with soy or almond milk as an alternative. Even a Chai almond latte was made for me, although it was not really on the menu. Our breakfast was so delicious that we bought two more breads for home and another Quiche for the road. What a wonderful start into a day!

The staff was extremely friendly and told us that they will expand their vegan offerings in the near future and still experimenting with recipes.

The baked goods are all organic and hence the prices are a little higher. To give you an idea, we bought 4 sandwiches, 4 cappuccino type of drinks, 1 juice, 2 Quiches, 1 piece of cake, 2 loaves of bread for around 75$. That was a whole lot of really really good food!

Pros: plenty vegan options, healthy and 'richer'options, very friendly staff

Exceptional Vegan Food - Edit

I recently went to Breads on Oak while visiting New Orleans last week and I must say it was a pleasant surprise. I probably would not have gone had it not been so close to the apartment I was staying in but I am glad that I did. I would say at least 80% of the offerings there are vegan and they are clearly marked. The workers, owners and clients are very friendly and I talked with all of them and each gave me their recommendations on what to try. I enjoyed everything and order 3 or more items daily. The mushroom pate sandwich and the chocolate pecan brownie are delicious.

It was very motivational for me to be in a setting where veganism was so well supported and to be able to interact with other vegans. Furthermore, it was a plus for veganism to show that one can have a commercially successful eatery without (mostly) supporting the slaughter of animals and still create tasty food.

This is a great place to eat/snack for vegans and non-vegans. My best friend is not a vegan but she really liked the food here, too. The prices are reasonable enough; they are what you'd expect to pay at Starbucks or any cafe like it. If I am ever in New Orleans I will definitely return to Breads on Oak. I already asked them if they planned on shipping out of state soon!

Pros: Friendly Staff , Great Vegan Food

Cons: Weird hours/days of Operation

Triple happiness - Edit

Vegan eclairs + vegan croissants + southern hospitality = triple happiness! The owners treated me like royality. Even without the red carpet treatment the baked goods speak for themselves. Let me repeat again vegan eclairs and croissants! This place is not to be missed.

Pros: Super friendly, informed and helpful staff, Great value

Cons: ***, ***

The Greatest Thing to Happen to New Orleans - Edit

This bakery is very close to my heart. The owners Chamain & Sean O'Mahony are the most genuine and friendly people around, almost as sweet as their baked goods. If you go inside and have the chance to meet them, let them tell you about their stone hearth oven or their love for amazing food. Walking into the bakery feels like home, and the production is thorough and can be seen thru the glass windows as bakers are constantly at work kneading dough and making levain starter. Beyond aesthetics, the croissants and baguettes are by far the best in town, perhaps the entire southern region. The levain breads, like mulitgrain, miche, and pain de campagne remind me of being in Europe and don't even compare to store-bought bread. One can go visit the bakery in the morning for locally roasted french roast or chicory coffee, delicious organic muffins or cinnamon-walnut coffeecake. Or, try it out for lunch and order a roasted veggie sandwich with housemade pesto on ciabatta bread, mushroom pate with spinach and red pepers, or for the raw lovers the life food sandwich is where its at. Another wonderful thing about Breads On Oak is that they cater to people of all dietary needs, especially with their monthly vegan croissant assortments. In fact, they recently switched to all organic flours in January 2013! I know, eating organic is not always the most feasible or affordable choice, but you can really taste the difference here! Honestly though, it doesn't matter if you a carnivore, omnivore, herbivore or something in between- everyone I have ever taken to the bakery has not stopped talking about it since. I urge you to please go and experience the magic, because there is so much love and hard work that can be appreciated from each item, it would be a shame for you to miss out.

P.S. Try the pecan toasted chocolate brownies or the carrot cake ..they are so dreamy you won't be disappointed!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 31, 2013

Pros: Super Friendly Staff, Mouthwatering Food, Outdoor seating-courtyards and in front

Awesome food - Edit

This place has become a favorite! It's very vegan friendly (still not common here in New Orleans), with delicious vegan pastries, breads, and soups regularly appearing on the menu. I love their pineapple muffins, so good! Good coffee too, with non-dairy milk available. New Orleans can be a tough town to be vegan, but new places like this popping up make it a lot easier. Note their hours though, because I've shown up after they closed.

Pros: vegan friendly, nice staff

A Real Gem - Edit

One word: vegan croissant. They aren't always available, and you may have to wait a couple hours to get your hands on them, but it is well worth it. The vast majority of the muffins, cakes, cookies, pies, soups, sandwiches, and breads are vegan. All vegan items are clearly marked and the staff have "vegan" and "nonvegan" cutting boards in the event something needs to be sliced. Natural sodas, juices, and coconut water also available. Everything I have eaten there has been out-of-this world delicious. Very high quality and typically a good bargain. The owners are real salt of the earth, too. My only complaint is their limited hours: Thurs-Sun 8am-3pm

Pros: Quality, Taste

Cons: Business hours

Mouth watering - Edit

The moment you walk in to Breads on Oak you know you are about to experience something great. From the display of freshly baked breads to the counter filled with so many baked goods. The owners, Chamain and Sean are the nicest people you will ever run into. The first thing you hear upon entering the bakery is "would you like to try a sample?" And then the fun begins. Chamain and Sean are available to answer any questions you may have from descriptions of their products and how to store or freeze them.

Only the best ingredients are used and boy can you tell the difference compared to other bakeries I have tried. Chamain's brownies are the BEST I HAVE EVER EATEN, and to learn they are vegan was a surprise. Such rich, dark chocolate. I thought they were my favorite until I tried the peanut butter cookies this weekend. Oh my gosh! And the muffins! Strawberry vanilla, cranberry orange, blueberry, pineapple coconut, with chunks of fruit. So much flavor. Oh and the coconut macaroons were amazing!

I also had Sean's grape bread this weekend. It tastes as good as it looks. The olive loaf is fantastic. So many fresh herbs throughout each and every bite.

Everyone must head on over on Friday and Saturdays to give it a try. I guarantee you will be back over and over again.

Breads on Oak is Awesome!! - Edit

For those who have not heard of Breads on Oak, you should do a Google search for it. It is by far the best new bakery in New Orleans. The owners, Sean and Chamaine have done an incredible job in transforming an old parts and appliance store into a great new neighborhood establishment.

First of all, Sean bakes the most authentic French artisanal breads around. His Baguettes and Croissants are phenomenal! So is the sourdough loaf. He is the only one in this area that has trained with world famous breadmakers in order to learn his craft. His custom-built ovens are also really excellent.

Wife Chamaine's contributions are also top-notch. Her Vegan fare is on par with many non-vegan selections. Her muffins, brownies and other treats are totally organic, totally vegan, and just delicious. It will make any non-vegitarian or non-vegan a believer.

If you are lucky, and get to the store when things are coming out of the oven, you just might get to sample some of the delicious offerings from the oven. They also offer espresso, coffee, and other drinks, and have convenient tables to enjoy your snacks.

This place should become a staple of good food here in New Orleans.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2012
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2012

Pros: Great Food, Vegan, Take Credit Cards

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Breads on Oak Cafe & Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8716 times since Jul 2012.