Brass Monkey Leith

Contact 0131 5545286

362 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH6 5BR

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pub offers a vegetarian option for many item on menu, of which a few can be made vegan. Try the spicy veggie burger. Food is made-in-house. Laid-back atmosphere with music playing and comfy sofas. Free Wi-fi. Has cinema on premises. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Mon-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 12:30pm-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by ainjeldust

decent - Edit

The Brass mo key is a great pub, has a good selection of beer and really nice staff. i have visited on many occasions and finally had some food.

the have a decent vegan menu and i went for the chilli dog. it was a good size portion with vegan slaw and chips. although the bread and dog were not the finest the slaw was good and the chilli was healthy, full of lentils and chickpeas.
overall it was decent value, but lacking in taste a little. more flavours required, even a bit of seasoning. its worth a visit if in the area.

Pros: good value, decent vegan menu, great pub

Cons: meat, a little bland

Bless The Brass Monkey - Edit

We used to live right nearby the Brass Monkey, and would go whenever we could justify it. They work hard on their vegan and vegetarian options and you can tell.
Their vegan sharing platters are probably our favourite thing on the menu, but their vegan veggie patties are also really great. The vegan chillie dog is also a blessing.
The only complaint I've ever had was when they got their kimchi burger, and it was not actually my food soul mate (it wasn't nearly spicy enough and didn't taste strong enough).

The staff has always been very friendly and chatty, the quiz they do on Monday nights is usually good fun, and sometimes they do live music for no apparent reason. We're not even 100% sure it's always planned.

Oh and the beers are good, their recommendations have a tendency to be spot on, and the cocktails aren't bad either.

Pros: Good booze and beer, Great vegan and veggie food, real effort involved , Lots of variation

Cons: So loud, Fills up quick

Come for the Beer, Stay for the Nachos - Edit

I actually come here for the beer and the pub quiz on a Monday, but the vegetarian nachos are also pretty decent, and delivered in a hefty serving. The beer choice is spectacular, and the staff and clientele are both friendly. Recommended.

Clearly labelled vegan options and great beer - Edit

Was in for the Pub quiz with a vegan meetup group was was delighted to see that they had several labelled vegan options on the menu; they did always have vegan options but I think the menu had changed a bit since I was last in, so I loved that I new dishes to try.

I had the vegan chilli dog (£9) - which I suspect is Linda McCartney sausages - which comes with skinny fries. Normally I find skinny fries a bit mediocre to wedges/thick cut chips but these were really tasty. Service for most of us was pretty quick, though one of my friends had to wait some time (an hour?) because of an oversight somewhere leading to lack of a matching table number.

I went in that week for a second time opted for the vegan burger. It's a good firm patty and comes in a seeded bun with sauce on top and bottom of the patty - I think a salsa of some kind. Unless it's unwelcome mayo and it's vegan I'm not too fussy and I don't always notice these things! It comes with the skinny fries, and a non-creamy coleslaw.

I'm told by friends that many of the drinks on their menu are vegan - I opted for an Innis & Gunn beer on Monday and today I got a Williams Bros 'Midnight Sun' ; otherwise the beers aren't labelled so if you're bothered about alcohol being animal product-free checking the Barnivore website is often a good bet.

Their soup is labelled vegan, and they have a vegan special (this week was tarka dal) and a dipping platter with a few things including hummus and pesto and flatbread.

The decor is made up of dark red walls featuring movie posters, and both sofa areas and tables with chairs to suit whichever seating area you feel like having. I feel quite relaxed in there and could easily sit with a pint (or two) for an hour. The TV was showing a movie with subtitles, and although maybe a little anti-social, I was pleased to see it as so many times I have seen pubs showing TV programmes or movies with just the picture and no subtitles (or audio) - what is the point in that?!

It's 50p charge if you want to use a credit/debit card, but they do also offer cashback.

Fun, Tasty and Unique - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here one Thursday evening for dinner. We were surprised to see it so busy and exude such a buzzing vibe! There were a handful of vegan options and they have a vegan soup that they change daily! The food was very good and very unique for what you usually see at vegan restaurants....I would call it delicious vegan bar food.It would be a perfect place for a fun weekend with vegan and non vegan friends.

Pros: Very Tasty, Great Pub Scene, Affordable

Cons: Not big enough for the amount of traffic

Lovely bean burger - Edit

I came here for dinner last week and had a wonderful bean burger with chips and salad. It was lovely to be able to have a pub meal in a place where vegan options are marked on the menu! The food was absolutely delicious although rather more expensive that you might normally expect for pub food at £7 for the burger and chips.

Pros: Several vegan options marked on menu, Tasty food, Good beer selection

Cons: Expensive, Can get very busy in the evenings

Makes you feel at home - Edit

My favourite is a vegetarian pizza with roasted veggies and no cheese - love it. They do nice chilli, I think every day there's a vegan curry option. Nice bean burgers. They also do veggie hot-dogs - unfortunately not for us vegans - as they are quorn sausages with cheese. Suggestion to the chefs: if you could do a vegan sausage option (Linda McCartney or Fry's hot dogs) it would be amazing! Also would be great if there were vegetarian wine options. But still, I love this place:-)

HIYA!!! - Edit

Hello Monkeys! Unfortunately our description of ourselves has been ever-so-slightly tweaked....we are just 3 ladies in the kitchen who create yummy homecooked pub grub and are incredibly pleased to offer a veggie version of everything on the menu and many vegan options too. Come down and give it a go and please remember when ordering to say that you are vegan (you guys get special treatment ;))Cheers!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 21, 2012

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Brass Monkey Leith closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.