Branto Pure Indian Vegetarian Club

Contact +852-2366-8171

1/F, 9 Lock Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Long-time operating place in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui. Popular among Indians. Always busy so be sure to come early. Try a dosa. From Peking Rd make first right into Lock Rd. Open 11am-3pm, 6pm-11pm. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

Indian for a change - Edit

After several days of primarily Chinese Buddhist food, we took a break with something spicier.
The place is small, rundown and cozy.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Despite our love for Indian food we are not familiar with all of it and they were helpful trying to explain to us.
Food was good and well priced.

Would not recommend the tomato soup, but everything else was perfect.

Pros: location, vegan options, big selection

average food, but cheap and rather nice place - Edit

Lunch today. The plain dosa was good. Arguably better than at Saravana Bhavan or Sangeetha. But I was disappointed by the Thali, especially by the rice and the bread that were below average. So mixed feeling about the food. Price is lower than peers. I also quite like the room, typical of old small HK restaurants, sadly disappearing. I shall come back and try other South Indian dishes.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 25, 2016

secret door to a slower pace - Edit

this restaurant is located on the first floor with access through a locked door. there is just a little sign next to the door outside. it took me a good 10 minutes to find with help! once inside you'll find an extensive menu to choose from. dinner sets are $79 hkd. simple atmosphere in a chilled environment. a mini harbour from the manic speed on the streets.

very good food - Edit

on our recent trip in July to HK, we had dinner at this place on two nights and let me say that the food quality exceeded our expectations.
We had Paneer butter masala, Dal makhani among others and both the preparations were too good.
One other plus is very fast and good service.

Pros: excellent food, good service

Cons: absence of tandoori items, cramped for space

Branto, Hong Kong - Edit

I've been here a couple of times now. It's a reasonably priced cheap and cheerful type place. I've had a vegan thali on both occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it. They also do a big choice of dosas and a large selection of Punjabi dishes.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food

Very good indian with fast service - Edit

Went there with an Indian friend. He said it was a very good Indian restaurant. I agree!
We took a masala dosa, a kind of long sheet rolled with some potato and herbs inside, and sev puri like a small snack/entrance a bit spicy.
Overal, seems clean, foods is really tasty, they have a set for around 75HKD. For one person cost = around 50-75HKD.
Totally recommend this place !
If you want vegan, you can ask the waiters for dishes with no cream or milk, still plenty of choice.

Pros: Really tasty, Wide variety of indian dishes, Quick service

Cons: Menu doesn't say if vegan or veggie

Great Indian Food - Edit

There are not many places where I consider it worth to queue up. But this place is! Great Indian food whit many choices for a reasonable price.

Pros: great food, big portions

Cons: short opening times

Reliable Indian fare - Edit

The first time I discovered Branto, it was by chance, before I even knew about this website, and it was a fortunate discovery. It became my standby in Hong Kong.
I've always enjoyed my food there, although generally I choose their Dosa and Idly. I havent tried many of the Northern style curries there.
Everything I've tried there has been great, or at least good.
The place gets very busy which is generally a good sign in Hong Kong.

Pros: Food, Price

very good thali - Edit

Vegans, ask to the owner (not the waitress) what you can take. There are 3 thalis, the second is vegan, very good, big portion and cheap.

samden 10 Mar 2013 - At least today, the second Thali (Gujrati Thali) came as well whit curd. The two curries which where different to the Sout India Thali where a bit sweet. I could not find any other difference.

Very nice indian vegetarian restaurant - Edit

Delicious indian vegetarian food.
The restaurant has a nice view on the street. The staff is very friendly and helps you to choose a dish if you're not used to indian cuisine.
The food in itself is delicious and traditionnal.

Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious, cheap, well located

Flooting noodle in burned oil - Edit

I visit once during stayed a night in tsim sha tsui with my family after seen all online reviews, we had dose was good and we liked to taste fried noodles but the noodles they served was floating in full tray of burned oil when I showed it to one of the staff and he accept but there's no action from him and billed 49 H$ for his thins and service they don't care about the food is able to eat or not, they don't have basic simple service procedure a single sorry has million $ value.

Will visit again! - Edit

It is not visually pretty, but don't let that stop you. I really love So. Indian for a change. It seems most places I visit are more No. Indian these days. So, I dropped in before dark and ate a wonderful dinner before racing down to the waterfront to see the "symphony of lights" on the Hong Kong harbourfront. Since I speak english only, the staff actually took some extra time to make sure I got what I wanted. They did their best to answer my questions. The place was super busy and everyone was still very polite to me. I found the food to be fresh and tasty.

Pros: fresh food, lots of choices, helpful staff

Cons: ambience lacking, busy busy

Good food with reasonable prices - Edit

Came here for dinner with a friend of mine. I've always loved Indian food and everything was very good. They should be pretty authentic too considering all the other customers appeared to be Indians. No English menu but they do have a folder of their dishes with pictures to help you with your selection. Would definitely come back again.

Pros: tasty, reasonably priced

Cons: could be too spicy

Best Dosa's - Edit

I have been making Branto a stop for great indian veg food now for a couple of years and it is always consistantly good. The dosa's are the best I have had anywhere in Hong Kong. Nice lunch beffet on Tuesdays also.

Pros: food , service, price

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Branto Pure Indian Vegetarian Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.