Branto Pure Indian Vegetarian Club

• Vegetarian
Contact 2366-8171

1/F, 9 Lock Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Long-time operating place in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui. Popular among Indians. Always busy so be sure to come early. Try a dosa. From Peking Rd make first right into Lock Rd. Open 11am-3pm, 6pm-11pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible

Indian for a change - Edit

After several days of primarily Chinese Buddhist food, we took a break with something spicier.
The place is small, rundown and cozy.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Despite our love for Indian food we are not familiar with all of it and they were helpful trying to explain to us.
Food was good and well priced.

Would not recommend the tomato soup, but everything else was perfect.

Pros: location, vegan options, big selection

average food, but cheap and rather nice place - Edit

Lunch today. The plain dosa was good. Arguably better than at Saravana Bhavan or Sangeetha. But I was disappointed by the Thali, especially by the rice and the bread that were below average. So mixed feeling about the food. Price is lower than peers. I also quite like the room, typical of old small HK restaurants, sadly disappearing. I shall come back and try other South Indian dishes.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 25, 2016

secret door to a slower pace - Edit

this restaurant is located on the first floor with access through a locked door. there is just a little sign next to the door outside. it took me a good 10 minutes to find with help! once inside you'll find an extensive menu to choose from. dinner sets are $79 hkd. simple atmosphere in a chilled environment. a mini harbour from the manic speed on the streets.

very good food - Edit

on our recent trip in July to HK, we had dinner at this place on two nights and let me say that the food quality exceeded our expectations.
We had Paneer butter masala, Dal makhani among others and both the preparations were too good.
One other plus is very fast and good service.

Pros: excellent food, good service

Cons: absence of tandoori items, cramped for space

Branto, Hong Kong - Edit

I've been here a couple of times now. It's a reasonably priced cheap and cheerful type place. I've had a vegan thali on both occasions and thoroughly enjoyed it. They also do a big choice of dosas and a large selection of Punjabi dishes.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food

Very good indian with fast service - Edit

Went there with an Indian friend. He said it was a very good Indian restaurant. I agree!
We took a masala dosa, a kind of long sheet rolled with some potato and herbs inside, and sev puri like a small snack/entrance a bit spicy.
Overal, seems clean, foods is really tasty, they have a set for around 75HKD. For one person cost = around 50-75HKD.
Totally recommend this place !
If you want vegan, you can ask the waiters for dishes with no cream or milk, still plenty of choice.

Pros: Really tasty, Wide variety of indian dishes, Quick service

Cons: Menu doesn't say if vegan or veggie

Great Indian Food - Edit

There are not many places where I consider it worth to queue up. But this place is! Great Indian food whit many choices for a reasonable price.

Pros: great food, big portions

Cons: short opening times

Reliable Indian fare - Edit

The first time I discovered Branto, it was by chance, before I even knew about this website, and it was a fortunate discovery. It became my standby in Hong Kong.
I've always enjoyed my food there, although generally I choose their Dosa and Idly. I havent tried many of the Northern style curries there.
Everything I've tried there has been great, or at least good.
The place gets very busy which is generally a good sign in Hong Kong.

Pros: Food, Price

very good thali - Edit

Vegans, ask to the owner (not the waitress) what you can take. There are 3 thalis, the second is vegan, very good, big portion and cheap.

Very nice indian vegetarian restaurant - Edit

Delicious indian vegetarian food.
The restaurant has a nice view on the street. The staff is very friendly and helps you to choose a dish if you're not used to indian cuisine.
The food in itself is delicious and traditionnal.

Highly recommended.

Pros: delicious, cheap, well located

Flooting noodle in burned oil - Edit

I visit once during stayed a night in tsim sha tsui with my family after seen all online reviews, we had dose was good and we liked to taste fried noodles but the noodles they served was floating in full tray of burned oil when I showed it to one of the staff and he accept but there's no action from him and billed 49 H$ for his thins and service they don't care about the food is able to eat or not, they don't have basic simple service procedure a single sorry has million $ value.

Will visit again! - Edit

It is not visually pretty, but don't let that stop you. I really love So. Indian for a change. It seems most places I visit are more No. Indian these days. So, I dropped in before dark and ate a wonderful dinner before racing down to the waterfront to see the "symphony of lights" on the Hong Kong harbourfront. Since I speak english only, the staff actually took some extra time to make sure I got what I wanted. They did their best to answer my questions. The place was super busy and everyone was still very polite to me. I found the food to be fresh and tasty.

Pros: fresh food, lots of choices, helpful staff

Cons: ambience lacking, busy busy

Good food with reasonable prices - Edit

Came here for dinner with a friend of mine. I've always loved Indian food and everything was very good. They should be pretty authentic too considering all the other customers appeared to be Indians. No English menu but they do have a folder of their dishes with pictures to help you with your selection. Would definitely come back again.

Pros: tasty, reasonably priced

Cons: could be too spicy

Best Dosa's - Edit

I have been making Branto a stop for great indian veg food now for a couple of years and it is always consistantly good. The dosa's are the best I have had anywhere in Hong Kong. Nice lunch beffet on Tuesdays also.

Pros: food , service, price

Great selection of Indian Food and nice ambiance - Edit

We went here in June 09 on the recommendation of a friend.

Its a strange place to find, look out for the pink neon 'Branto' sign outside, then you go up a lift to what feels like someones living room, but its a nice ambiance once you get there and very colourfully decorated.

We arrived when it was quite busy but didn't have to wait long for a seat. We sat next to a local girl and her two Korean friends who had been chatting to the indian people at our table previously who recommended the Puri, so they recommended the Puri dishes to us! Nice to meet such friendly people on our first night in Hong Kong.

Anyway, the Puri starter was lovely (once we'd been told how to eat it i.e. make a hole in the hollow cracker-like thing and fill with the sauce) then we ordered a couple of quite hot curries for mains which were very tasty, but spicy (lets just say our digestive systems didn't thank us the next morning!)

There were lots of Indian clientele which is always a good sign. I'd definately recommend this place, but be careful if you aren't used to really spicy food (though the waitress does warn you when you are ordering)

Pros: Great choice, friendly atmosphere, reasonable price

Cons: Can be spicy, be careful!, can be difficult to find

Great place! - Edit

I ate at this restaurant just recently (Sept 08) and thought the food was great. Its in a bit of a weird location. When you get there you need to go through what looks like a private entrance, the use the lift to get to the restaurant. Its worth a try!

Subcontinentl local's restrnt, good for others als - Edit

Press buzzer to be buzzed through the security door to go up to the first floor - floor above ground level.
Restaurant has a dinerish ambience, decor is Subcontinental for Subcontinental people. Bollywood or Subcontinental talent shows play on a couple of screens. Seats about 60. Perhaps the ceiling is low or the colours of the decor collude to create a closed/crowded sense but it is not cramped at all and both times I have visited, ample seating available.
Clientele is families at dinner and work associates at lunch of Subcontinental background. Casual enough for singles to dine in, in which case a waitperson may talk to you a bit. Service is casual, fine, space is watched over - casually - by the manager/ till operator. Some wait staff speak better English than others.
Menu has amongst it some South Indian food and three thalis. Ordered wadas, jalfrezi, biryani rice and lassi and second time a thali. Wadas were okay. Jalfrezi was delicious with lots of fresh vegetables, although there were a few too many onions at the expense of other vegetables. They were cooked through just right though. Biryani was quite good too. Lassi was alright but a bit on the thin side. Thali had was alright but much preferred other dishes.
Fair value at $165 for starter, main course, beverage for one.

Pros: Some delicious food

Cons: Closed in? feeling

great selection - Edit

you have to say this place has a hell of a choice, both north and south indian dishes. the thali selection is great value for money and the food is very tasty.
main dishes start around hk$35, thali's priced between hk$50 and hk$ 75.

Pros: selecton, tasty

"Bollywood" on the TV - Edit

I recommend the Thali's. Vegans you will have to speak with the owner at the cash counter / not with the waiters - the owner will choose butter / yoghurt / ghee free dishes for you. I have always had good / tasty food there. North Indian dishes tend to be overly heavy with oil & spices. Customers are mostly local Marwari / Gujurati & Jain Indians. TV usually on playing "Bollywood" movie clips. Phone in the evening if you have a group of people. Funky entrance - ring a doorbell & wait to be admitted - either walk up one floor & turn to your right - or go up in the elevator & exit to your right.

Pros: Bombay ambience, Fast service, Fair value

Cons: Waiters watch TV &, dream - sometimes hard, to get their attention

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Branto Pure Indian Vegetarian Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6971 times since Aug 2007.