First Review by boglin

Vegan B&B on the Isle of Wight! - Edit

We stayed at Brambles for three nights in May 2011 and really enjoyed it. Even though they had to move to another, much smaller, location in Ryde last year, John and Angela managed to make it a cozy and enjoyable stay with great food, nice talks and good comfort. On the first night, we had the three course dinner consisting of creamy pea soup with garlic toast slices, baked veggies and quiche and vanilla fruit crumble along with fruit juice and tea and coffee afterwards - all of which was absolutely delicious and served in the most friendly manner.
We also tried the traditional cooked English breakfast in the mornings which was also very good (if you enjoy cooked food in the morning). For 4 pounds only, it had a reasonable price too.
Even the shampoo in the shower had a vegan logo so as a vegan you can really be sure of coming to a place where people know where you're coming from. Brambles is certainly not just a place for vegans to stay at but also for vegetarians looking for something else than the general food options and for meateaters, of course!

My only criticism would be the use of the microwave for heating up things. I would also prefer organic tea and coffee.
Pricewise, Brambles is really good value for what you get. It's 30 pounds a night per person in a double room - most places on the Isle of Wight would cost more.
John and Angela told us they were going to move to the mainland at some point, possibly soon, but that Brambles was going to move with them. Wherever this may be - I wish them the best of luck and am looking forward to going there.

Pros: All vegan accomodation!, Very friendly owners, Delicious food

Cons: use of microwave

A must for veggies visitng the Isle of Wight - Edit

Although primarily a vegan B&B, Brambles offers evening meals to non-residents. It works on a set meal served at a set time basis, but I was asked if there were any allergies or dislikes to be taken into account when I booked. It costs £12.50 for a three course meal, including non-alcoholic drinks and coffee - we had mushroom cocktail as a starter, a delicious traditional roast for our main (I had to palm off some of my potatoes to leave room for pudding), and a fantastic fruit crumble. And then coffee and a chocolate mint wafer. (You won't be hungry afterwards!) We arrived a bit early, but were welcomed in and settled on a sofa the downstairs lounge with grape juice whilst we waited for dinner. John and Angela, the proprietors were lovely, and the food was great. If you're visiting the Isle of Wight, make sure you go.

Pros: excellent value, friendly atmosphere, great food

Return to Isle Of Wight Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Brambles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 551 times since Aug 2007.