REMOVED: Boxwood Cafe

Contact 403-265-4006

340-13th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2R 0W9

Serves meat, vegan options available. Local Canadian cuisine restaurant in Central Memorial Park in the Calgary Beltline. Be warned that a rotisserie is seen upon entering; otherwise offer veggie sides which are reported served separately from meat - best to specify! Casual environment. FEB 2015 REMOVED DUE TO LACK OF VEG. Open .

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8

GF option served on wheat bun, vegan with cheese - Edit

Had an awful experience here. I ordered a salad and specified that I was vegan and it came with cheese on it. My boyfriend who is celiac and vegan asked if a particular sandwich could be done gluten free and was told yes. We ordered it and when it arrived, it was on the most delicious looking GF bun I've ever seen! We asked to confirm and WOOPS no that's not gluten free... if you want gluten free you have to have it without the bun... were we not clear enough that was what we needed? Not to mention there was barely anything IN the sandwich so we would not have paid that price for it without the bun if we'd have known.

Service was slow and unhelpful and we did NOT get what we asked for. This restaurant should not market themselves as GF or Veg friendly.

So many great vegan options! - Edit

I had the Organic Chickpea Fritters Sandwich with Cilantro Salsa Verde (vegan), and the Warm Lemon Lentil Dahl (vegan without yogurt on top). Their bread is vegan and the sandwich was so good!. It was the best restaurant vegan food I've had in Calgary so far. I was very impressed.

The waitress was very friendly and helpful, she even marked on the menu for me which items were vegan or could be made vegan, which was most of them! Here is the current list of vegan options on the lunch menu: Spiced Chickpeas & Marinated Olives, Red Lentil Hummus, Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Toasted Organic Quinoa with spinach and delicata squash, Roasted Poplar Bluff Beets with shaved fennel and farro. There are also some vegetarian options that can be made vegan: Warm Lemon Lentil Dahl (ask for no yogurt on top), Spiced Chickpea & Wild Rice Ragout (ask for no Chevre Mousse on top).

As you can see, the menu is very vegan-friendly. I will definitely be going back.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Vegan Options, Nice Location

Cons: Serves Meat

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Boxwood Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2128 times since Oct 2011.