Bouldin Creek Cafe

Contact 512-416-1601

1900 S First St, Austin, Texas, USA, 78704

Coffeehouse turned full-service restaurant. Offers breakfast all day, salads, sandwiches, hot meals with tofu, veggie tacos, blueberry cornbread, and beverages. Soymilk and almond milk available for chai and coffee. Mon-Fri 7:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 8:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out

First Review by Masalaflower

Superb for Vegans...especially brunch - Edit

Bouldin Creek is my go-to in Austin. Bouldin Creek is excellent for vegans and vegetarians any meal of the day: breakfast is served all day, lunch, dinner, dessert. Some dishes require modification to be vegan, like the Renedict, but the staff are very helpful. The portions are always so big and a great value. Save room for dessert because their pastry case is overflowing with vegan baked goods.

Pros: Many vegan options, Excellent food, Large Portions

Cons: Parking

simply the best breakfast place in South AUSTIN - Edit

I visit Bouldin creek cafe weekly. they have tons of vegan options and all are quite tasty. I especially enjoy the veggie burger and the BLT at anytime, but it's the only place that has so many tasty vegan breakfast options!

A Favorite! - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants serving Vegan dishes in Texas. Always a very unique menu that changes a lot so always something new to try. If you haven't tried it give it a shot. Sit at the bar and have a great craft beer along with an amazing vegan dish. Staff is also VERY friendly!

Favorite place in Austin - Edit

Came here three times in one week (while in town). Was easily the best place we ate at on our vacation! All meals can easily be made vegan. Full coffee menu is available and the coffee is soooo good. You have to try the tofu scramble! Have to!

Pros: Parking available, The best tofu scramble

Cons: Wait for seating during peak hours

True Austin staple! - Edit

Bouldin is our favorite place to eat in Austin. We typically go for breakfast but also have stopped in for lunch and dinner. I loooooovvvveeee the tamale breakfast! Two delicious sweet potato pecan tamales with the tofu scramble... best way to start your morning. Oh and make sure to get the Bennie to drink, it is great! If you happen to go at lunch or dinner, you can order breakfast but I would highly recommend going for the Veggie Royale Burger. It is beyond good, it's hard to decide which treat I like best so I say, try them both! I get the Chipotle pecan pesto as my topping of choice with kettle chips. The burger is served on a chibatta bun with lettuce and tomatoes. It's delicious!

Pros: food is great, nice staff, good location

Cons: wait time

Incredibly good! - Edit

Ordered the El Tipico (breakfast) sub'd the eggs for tofu scramble, which was excellent. This place knows what time it is. Everything was perfectly flavored, large portions and the dish was $6.50! Unheard of!!! I highly recommend Boudin Creek when in Austin. You will not regret it.

Pros: Flavorful, Large Porttions, Fresh

Great all around - Edit

I went with as the only vegan with 3 meat eaters. Everyone found something that they liked and when I got my "eggs renedict" they all had to try it! Super good and so many options! The customer service and atmosphere were great. However, if you go for Sunday brunch, be prepared to wait for a little bit. But in my opinion, as long as you're with friends and not in a hurry, it's worth the wait.

Pros: Options, Customer Service, Nice vibe

Cons: Wait time for food

lovely little coffee house/cafe - Edit

The artsy lofty atmosphere reminded me of shops in Chicago. I tried a cold veggie sandwich with the Asian coleslaw.Mmmmm I am not usually a coleslaw fan, but this is the yummiest, not slathered in gagworthy mayo, side ever. I got the lavender lemonade too. Everything was fresh, healthy, and delicious. The people are sweet and knowledgeable and answered all of my questions about ingredients used. I am pretty critical of what I put into my body and I am grateful for helpful and intelligent information.
My coffee was dark and toasty, just how I need it to be.

Pros: artsy atmosphere, plenty of seating

Cons: not all organic

Breakfast Burritos! - Edit

Went for brunch and loved the tofu scramble and vegan chorizo! My husband got the renadict which was very yummy as well. Our waitress was friendly and let us know that they were super busy and it was taking a bit longer to get to our order because there were a lot of people ordering tofu and they only use specific pans for the tofu! (Props for that)

August 3, 2014 - Edit

I got a to-go order of the sweet potato pecan tamales. My food came out in 5 minutes and was exceptionally tasty! The staff were all very friendly too! I look forward to having a sit down meal there sometime

Pros: quick, tasty, affordable

Cons: crowded

Tofu Renedict - Edit

I came to try the much hyped tofu renedict. I didn't care for the vegan hollandaise sauce so it was a bit of a miss for me. The scramble was decent, though. I liked the ambiance but be warned, get here early for weekend brunch because there can be long lines (and the renedict can sell out)

Rockin' yet relaxed veg cafe! - Edit

Visited Oct 2013. Busy yet spacious with heaps of seating options: sit at the bar, take your laptop to the communal tables, sit inside/outside, whatever! Brick walls & wooden fit out makes it feel warm & homely & the decor is kinda rustic & distinctly Austin. The food is nourishing, whole food vegetarian dishes. I had the tamales & ooohhh they were good! Both gluten free & vegan options available. The servers are friendly & cute & not pretentious! The wifi is free! The atmosphere is relaxed! The prices are reasonable! Go here.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 28, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday October 28, 2013

Pros: All veg, Fantastic atmosphere, Cool servers

Cons: No more breakfast burritos!?

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere - Edit

A funky, eco-friendly vibe is trumped by outstanding meals at Bouldin Creek. Luscious salads and filling sandwiches are available vegan. We took my husband's elderly parents, who are picky non-vegans, and they absolutely loved it. Anytime we're in Austin we make several trips to Bouldin.

Pros: healthy, yummy fare, reasonable prices, funky vibe

Royale with Cheese - Edit

My wife and I visited Bouldin Creek Coffee House and Cafe in their new location this afternoon, and absolutely loved our meal on the patio. I ordered the Veggie Royale with chipotle pesto and added cheese. The house made veggie patty was incredible, and the pesto sent it over the top as the best veggie burger I have ever had. I washed it down with the locally brewed Live Oak Liberation Ale.
My wife ordered the chickpea mock chicken salad sandwich with asian coleslaw, which was also excellent. The new location has more space and parking than the old, and is very clean and trendy. Highly recommended!

Pros: Dog Friendly Patio, Clean, Delicious

Affordable, Vegan Friendly and Great Vibe - Edit

This was an excellent brunch place for vegans! The prices are surprisingly cheap and the food was delicious and plentiful. My biggest surprise was the almond milk option for coffee (delicious). Highly recommend.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Very Busy

Best Breakfast in Austin - Edit

Every time I go, I tell myself I'm going to order something new, and every time I fail. I love the breakfast sammich so much that I order it every time. But I manage to steal food from friends, and it is all good too.
This is the first place I bring out-of-towners for breakfast, and everyone leaves happy.
they are dog-friendly, they have a new location which is great and the service is excellent as well.

Pros: food, atmosphere, service

Love Love This Place. - Edit

From the atmosphere to the food, it is one of my favorite spots. I frequent there most weeks for a delicious cup of organic coffee with just a hint of lavender and the "slackers banquet" is a delicious protein filled dish with a wide variety of veggies. Even my non-vegetarian friends can't get enough!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, GREAT food, GREAT coffee

hands-down fave - Edit

we sometimes joke that we moved to south austin to be closer to bouldin creek. it's that good and hands-down our favorite place for breakfast with the kiddo, lunch and/or dinner. on our list of most ordered - chickpea "chicken" salad sandwich, cool summer sandwich, veggie royal, all the breakfast plates, rose lemonade, nutella cold brews.

Pros: awesome staff, casual atmosphere, THE FOOD!

Cons: hot days, long waits for food at peak hours, can't eat there every day

Best Breakfast EVER - Edit

Luckily I read all the other reviews before going to Bouldins and had the tofu scrambler tacos. I had the vegan version of "The Neal" which is scrambled tofu, sauteed mushrooms, and some kind of heavenly pixie dust that made it not only the best breakfast I've ever had, but the best taco I've ever had. I'm serious- it was amazing. I won't be happy now until I figure out how to reproduce those tacos at home.

Pros: Tofu scrambles are amazingly delicious, Super cheap vegan food, Great coffee, wifi

Best Vegan Breakfast in Texas!!! - Edit

Hands down this is the best vegan breakfast you will find in Texas! The tofu scramble is out of this world and the portions are amazing! A must if you're in Austin.

Pros: Vegan Breakfast!!, Great Portions

Veg Cafe in the Heart Of Texas - Edit

I didn't think anyone used more nutritional yeast in their cooking until I ate at this place. The Tofu Scram is literally caked in it! It is an interesting take on the dish, a little dry, but good.

This is a pretty good veg diner. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful to vegans. The food is good, the coffee is good and they have lots of vegan pastries, cookies and such. I will definitely revisit this place when I am in Austin again.

Pros: friendly staff, relaxing ambience, good coffee/food

Good Food/Slow Service - Edit

Pros: Good Food and ambiance (it's a funky place that is super comfortable - like hanging out at home) : )

Cons: Service is slow and whenever I have been - they are not very friendly : (

*Note - the cons bum me out because grouchy vegetarians give the rest of us a bad name - causing non-vegetarians/vegans to say things like "Gee someone forgot to take their B-Vitamins etc.

Pros: Good Food, Ambiance

Cons: Slow, lackluster service

The best breakfast ever! - Edit

This place is great. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is great, and the food is beyond great. The tofu scramble and blueberry cornbread cake are to die for and the potato hash is yummy.

Pros: Great vegan food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: flies by the outside tables, i don't live close enough

Contributions +32

definitely the coolest coffee shop in austin! - Edit

this place rules; friendly staff, good food, fair trade coffee, and reasonably price! The scrambled tofu is great!

Pros: Cheap, Great Staff, Great food

Cons: busy at lunch

Awesome Breakfast!!!! - Edit

I typically am not a huge fan of breakfast, but not at Bouldin Creek Coffee House and Cafe. I took the advice of some of the reviews below and opted for the "El Tipico" and my friend got the "Blueberry Cornbread". We shared each meal and we both were pleasantly surprised, as the food was quite good. Their tofu scramble is made with nutritional yeast, but it appears as if they dip it in the nutritional yeast after cooking the tofu - good idea, it was really good! The decor was neat; I liked the bent up forks attached to the overhead lights. The employees were also very nice!

Best Breakfast in Texas - Edit

Their tofu is amazing. My boyfriend and I came back the next day. El Tipico with a side of veggie chorizo is quite frankly the best way to start any day. Their blueberry-corn oven cakes are amazing, as well. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. Perfect for dining alone with a book or laptop or with friends.

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Atmosphere

One of the best vegan breakfasts in Austin! - Edit

I love the Predictable with tofu. The Bouldin folks led by the aswesome Leslie make a mean scrambled tofu, one of the best anywhere! It's full of Nutritional yeasty goodness! Plus, they have yummy potato hash brown patties and collard greens! Try the Fire for some added delicious heat.
It's a hippy/ punk rock sort of joint, so the service can be uneven and it's not the cleanest joint in town, but the patio is a great place to eat breakfast any time of the day!

Pros: Delicious vegan food!, COmfortable patio seating!, AN owne3r that cares about veg issues!

Cons: uneven service, can be slow-ish

Good Stuff - Edit

Great veggie and vegan food and coffee. Big menu with lots of variety.

Small counter where you order when you first walk in. Indoor seating area to the right. Small covered outdoor seating area right in front. Beautiful tree-shaded outdoor seating area to the side BUT for some reason it is garbage-smelling stinky there but I could not figure out where the odor was coming from. Great atmosphere, pooch-friendly with dog water bowl and treat station. Small parking lot right in front. If this were my place I would nix the parking spaces (there is street parking you can use) and expand the nice outdoor area in front (where it was NOT stinky). I would have given this 5 cows if not for the smell outside.

Highly recommended but sit inside or outside in front.

Pros: great food & drinks

Cons: smelly by the oak tree

Bouldin is Fantastic - Edit

Some of the best vegan coffee in Austin. Try the Soy Benny, a mix of chai, soy milk, and expresso. This restaurant is wonderful if you are looking for some vegetarian comfort food, healthy breakfast, or a small snack. All the egg dishes can be substituted for tofu, and Bouldin's vegan tofu recipe never ceases to amaze me. The blueberry cornbread is the best thing on the menu to me. They have sandwiches, soul food,TACOS!, hearty salads, and more. Don't miss this if you are traveling through Austin!

Try the Neal Taco veganized...

Pros: Open til Midnight, Amazing Food, Friendly Atmosphere

Cons: .........?

Hmmm, quaint or redundant? - Edit

For those who take comfort in retro hippiness and trailer park fantasy, go for it. I, however, prefer my veggie food in a stink-free environment: there are way too many smokers and cig stubs around Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse... and the vegan desserts can be quite dicey. God bless the old oak tree though.

Pros: easy parking, friendly staff, cool interior paint

Cons: smokers galore, unpredictable cuisine, retro decay

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bouldin Creek Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7573 times since Aug 2007.