Boots Bakery and Lounge

• Vegetarian
Contact 509-703-7223

24 W Main St, Spokane, Washington, USA, 99201

Coffee shop, cafe, and bakery opened in summer 2012. The savory dishes that are all vegan and gluten-free. Try the carrot cake cupcakes. The only non-vegan item is cow's milk.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Bakery

First Review by Veggietaylor

nice selection - Edit

Our first stop on our road trip was Spokane, and Boots was our destination. We got an assortment of savory foods to split for lunch, they were all great. Their menu is always changing, but my guess is it will also be good. The food really shows that the people making it care about it.

While I was very pleased to find this spot, I can't lie that I wasn't a little disappointed in the baked goods. I'm from Oakland where we have an awesome vegan cafe/bakery (Timeless, if you are ever in Oakland), so I was expecting something more like that. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy Boots exists and I went there three times during my five day business trip to Spokane, but they aren't a stellar representation of what vegan baked goods can be. But I hope they keep at it and are around for a long time. The staff was hit and miss. The first day a super friendly gal waited on me and she was great. Gave me some tips on where to eat. The next two times was a guy that barely acknowledged my presence and acted like he was doing me a favor to make my soy latte.

Pros: Vegan!, Cool space

Cons: Baked goods could be better

The future is vegan and gluten free - Edit

Another great find by the Happy Cow app! We were in Spokane for the World Science Fiction (it was in London the year before and then ended up in our state - we had to go but did not expect a vegan feast). Located right next to the Spokane Convention Center and Main Market, the local co-op, this was the perfect landing spot for vegan, gluten free breakfast and lunch. The tofu scramble, sausage hash, Alison's breakfast and vegetable frittata were all deliciously seasoned savories. The boozy brownie, peach coffee cake, strawberry chocolate coffee cake and pumpkin waffle were wonderful sweets. Friendly staff and good service. Our celiac friend ate here safely too!

Pros: Location right by convention center, Dog friendly, Vegan pastries!

Nice place to visit - Edit

This was a solid find in Spokane. I'll be honest, I'm vegan - and not gluten free. As such, I have never found the gluten free foods nearly as tasty, and this was true here as well. That said, I think they do GF as well as it can be done, and I enjoyed the food overall. The Mac & Cheese was good - though not amazing - and I liked the salad varietals. They made a really good cake for my daughter's birthday, and were super accommodating, which we appreciated. The cake was - again - very very good. Great frosting and flavours, though it was not as moist and rich as a non-GF cake would be, obviously, and this was noticeable. Still I will say - and this is no faint praise - it was as good a GF cake as I've ever had. Definitely worth visiting.

Pros: Pretty decor, Accommodating with requests, Friendly staff

Cons: Gluten free

Vegetarian Cafe actually - Edit

This was my first time here and i ordered a triple latte. The server then asked if I wanted "Whole, Nonfat or 2%? (pause) Or uhh lets see. We also have rice, coconut, hemp and soy".
I was a bit stunned but I chose hemp and consumed it anyway. I should have just picked brewed coffee with a paper cup instead.
The establishment and staff aren't clean.

Pros: Mostly Vegan, Good Espresso

Cons: Misleading , Dumpy , Hovering staff

Favorite - Edit

My favorite vegan friendly place in the area. The food is always great, fresh, and service is good. The best thing in my opinion is that they label everything, so that you don't ever have to question what you are going to eat.

Pros: vegan, tasty, quick

Cons: little pricey, parking

Cute place, a bit pricy - Edit

I paid 8 dollars and change for a latte and a boozy brownie. The latte was great, and the boozy sauce on top of the brownie was wonderful, but the brownie itself didn't quite have the right taste/texture. Maybe it's because I'm not used to eating gluten free foods. On a separate occasion, I had a cupcake with similar results. The frosting was awesome, but I didn't really like the taste and texture of the cupcake. I'll try a non-dessert item next time.

The atmosphere is cozy and cool.

Everything dazzled! :) - Edit

We were in and out of Spokane for the last 2 weeks, and in our 5 days there we ate at Boots 5 times!!! We had pumpkin waffles (twice), mexican wedding cakes/russian tea cakes, apple cookies, thai rice sticks, spicy broccoli rice sticks, tofu scramble, macaroni, dijon potatoes, "Allison's breakfast," sesame cabbage, power greens, yam stuffed pasilla peppers, enchilada pie, corn chowder, a soy iced mocha, and boozy brownies. Now that's a list! But you know, we had to try as close to everything as we could! And with the huge selection Boots has, this was only about half of what they offered on any given day.

We love that their selection has steady options and new ones each day. The desserts are delicious and creative. The "salads" (what the dishes are called - anything can be served cold or hot) have amazing flavors. Boots knows how to use spices and is the most TASTY all-vegan restaurant we've ever been to. The tofu scramble topped everything! Everything we tried was excellent!

And best of all: everything is vegan! It is definitely worth a stop in Spokane! The people that work her are gems, so nice!

Try the pumpkin waffles while they are in season!

The flavors are fantastic! Keep it real [and spicy] Boots! :)
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 05, 2014

Pros: Wonderful flavors!, Creative, huge variety!, Fun and friendly environment!

One of the best choices in town... - Edit

... mainly because it's one of only two fully vegan choices in town.

I'd have preferred a warm hearty meal after the long drive in but this place had more cold selections. Think salads. (If you're into that sort of stuff this is your place.)

Nothing dazzled. But it was all vegan which is dazzling in itself. And the staffer was very nice too.

Pros: All vegan, Freindly staff

Yummy - Edit

I only have one night in Spokane so I searched out the vegan places ahead of time and went straight to Boots. Had a trio plate with curried veggies and rice, kale with garlic, and lentils. So, so good, and only $7! I will be back tomorrow before I head back to Denver.

Pros: Fresh, Price, Delicious

Happy to find this vegan outpost - Edit

I stopped in here last week at the beginning of a week long vacation in Idaho. I was so, so happy to find it. I bought half the items they had in the display case!

However, I do think they need to up their game a little. I did not enjoy the dressing on the kale salad, the tabbouleh was extremely bland and the tofu fish sticks, made using frozen and thawed tofu so they would be extra chewy, were not as tasty as I had hoped they would be. I purchased two of the cranberry coffee cake squares but they were very sweet and we did not finish even one. Of the six different flavors of cupcakes I purchsed, my children liked only the chocolate peanut butter.

Again, I am delighted to have stumbled upon this little bakery, especially since they are in an area with so few choices. I hope they continue to improve and refine their menu and grow in popularity.

Also, the staff are some of the nicest people I met in an area filled with very nice people.

A Goldmine!!! - Edit

I live in Spokane, and I never knew! There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy! We got 2 trios and a boozy brownie, and we didnt speak the entire time because our brains didnt have functionality left to communicate. All brain capacity was occupied in processing all of the pure, unadulterated flavor. Spicy, herbacious, savory, full-bodied, real, you just cant get this flavor from "flavoring" of any kind. Its my dirty little secret, but Im sharing it with everyone! Go here, and eat all the things! I threw my hands up and said, "stop world! I cant handle all this joy at once!" and then I shimmy-danced down the block.

Pros: excellent food, Star value, pure bliss

A Must Try Place In Spokane - Edit

I attended a conference at Eastern Washington University and found Boots Bakery nearby on HappyCow. I stopped by early in the morning and purchased six gluten-free cupcakes to share with colleagues. They were great - nice light texture and not too sweet. Based on this good initial experience, I came back for lunch.

For lunch, they offer a daily soup and a good variety of chilled salads/main dishes/veggies in their deli case. They offer a "trio" combo plate where you choose any three items from the deli case. I chose their veggie loaf with mashed potato topping, quinoa pilaf and a kale salad. I enjoyed everything on my plate. And, incredibly, this only cost $7 - amazing value.

Service was friendly and prompt. On this Saturday, this place was buzzing with customers. Definitely worth your time to visit and order some food and/or baked goods. When back in Spokane, I will make this my first stop.

Pros: Excellent Food, Gluten Free Options, Friendly Service

Vegan! - Edit

Loved the food and the fact they offer a wide variety. Have tried the bbq tofu and power greens, delicious! Will go back many times. It's wonderful to have this place in Spokane!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, variety

Cons: service a bit slow

Boots Bakery and Lounge - Edit

Alison is wonderful. I have met her a few times when she worked at Mizuna's and she made wonderful vegan chocolate cake. That's why I was surprised about the vegan/gluten free cupcakes from her lounge not as tasty as I wanted them to be. Perhaps because I am not use to eating gluten-free vegan food. The frosting was really good. I am not giving up on her and will return for other food.

Great atmosphere and great food - Edit

This was a great place to eat and hang out. They don't have a set menu because they make their dishes from local fruits and veggies they also had a large selection of bakery sweets. The majority of the food was vegan and they also had gluten free and vegan options. The atmosphere was very inviting and the employees were friendly and helpful. I would recomend boots to anyone in the area

Pros: Vegan food, Atmosphere

Return to Spokane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Boots Bakery and Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5294 times since Aug 2012.