Bonnys Vegetarian and Organic Cuisine

514-931-4136

1748 Notre Dame St W, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,

Restaurant, bakery, and take-out counter. Food is mostly organic and includes items like spicy faux "tuna" (not real tuna) made with tempeh and seaweed, lasagna with tofu ricotta, soba noodle stir fry, black bean chili with quinoa, vegan desserts, and more. Gluten free options. Fully vegetarian and vegan friendly since late 2009. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by tragedia

Belle option santé dans Griffintown - Edit

Bonnys est un des rares restaurants complètement végétariens de Griffintown (si ce n'est le seul si je me fie à la liste de l'Association Végétarienne de Montréal!). Bien que les plats proposés, majoritairement de la comfort food, ne soient pas nécessairement originaux lorsqu'on compare le menu à d'autres endroits comme Lola Rosa, L'Gros Luxe 100% Végé, etc., il y en a pour tous les goûts ou presque: burger aux lentilles, lasagnes, plat du jour en fonction des produits disponibles en saison, etc. La nourriture est bonne mais sans plus (voire légèrement trop salée). Par contre, Bonnys se démarque par l'emphase mise sur la confection de plats maison, la présence d'ingrédients biologiques (plus de 90%!) et l'offre de grains entiers (incluant du pudding au riz brun!). D'ailleurs, les desserts végétaliens sont excellents. Don't miss out on them! Vous apprécierez également la sympathie du personnel et, globalement, l'ambiance chaleureuse du restaurant. Je recommande si vous habitez dans le coin (ou êtes de passage dans le quartier). Belle option santé dans Griffintown!
Mise à jour du 16 avril 2017: Le menu a récemment changé et il y a davantage d'emphase mise sur les options véganes. Les produits laitiers sont en option seulement. That's the way to go!

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-12

Vegetarin/Vegan Bland food at a high price. - Edit

We entered Bonnys and the restaurant looked cozy. It was a little loud though. The waitress seemed to have trouble working the three tables that were seated. She was concentrated only on sending out the orders placing them on the table, and did not stop to hand us the menu so we could at least look at it. Meanwhile the three tables were getting water refills and conversation.

When we finally got the menu, we chose the daily special which was a fajita with falafel. It came with salad, soup and pressed banana chips. The other meal was a boca burger, which was black beans heaped on half a slice of bread covered in salsa. What accompanied the burger was a salad and nachos. The food was so incredibly bland that I found it so hard to justify the price. I want to have solidarity with a vegetarian restaurant just to encourage them, but today I am less than happy. The pressed bananas and the nachos were store bought. The tomatoe soup came in a tiny restaurant cup, and had little taste. The portion was miniature. The boca "burger" had no consitancy and fell apart, and again the beans were obviously canned. The falafel was bland to say the least. Without any sides, the price of the meal came to $35, this was very expensive for the tasteless meal. Not worth going there at all.

Pros: cozy space

Cons: expensive, bland, canned food

nice - Edit

Happened upon this spot while in town. I like the many variety offered and I enjoyed my meal. I had the lasagna Whig came with a side salad. Large potions given here. I also tried the chocolate mousse. It was the perfect consistency but just lacking the sweetness I expected.

Pros: friendly staff, large portions

cozy and yummy - Edit

I love this little, nicely decorated restaurant. It is close to downtown, they always have interesting specials of the day, and the plates I tried from the menu are pretty awesome (Vegan Lasagna, japanese noodle salad (which is warm), and vegan empanadas ). Cute atmosphere and friendly place. It may take a bit of time before getting your plates, but it is quite normal as home-made plates cannot be done that fast!!

I recommend it!

Pros: nice atmosphere, good fresh food, Good value

Cons: waiting time

not worth the trek - Edit

Out of the way of the downtown core. We were visiting from out-of-town and went on a very cold and snowy night to find the place very quiet. The lentil dahl for appetiser was good, but only warm, not hot. We asked about the 'Japanese soba noodle stir fry' which is mentioned on the website but not on the menu, and were told it was the 'Japanese ''rice'' noodle' dish on the menu (so the menu (in the restaurant) was supposedly wrong). We ordered it but it did not taste like soba noodles. The tempeh special was warm, but also not hot, and it came with an excellent (and large) side salad. The wine, however, was excellent - an organic Tempranillo. The server, especially as it was so quiet, was quite inattentive - we didn't have the feeling of being made welcome there.

Cons: location, service

Cozy vegan-friendly restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is a cozy place where vegans can find something good and fresh to eat. Food is organic, homemade and usually tasty. I had a lentil burger, japanese noodles and and rice pudding as a dessert. I found the whole a little pricey but consistent with homemade and organic food. It could be nice if they can offer still more vegan options.

Pros: good, organic and fresh food, pleasant and cozy place, vegan options

Cons: pricey, could have more vegan options, location

Tasty food, good value - Edit

Nice cosy restaurant in Griffintown neighborhood. Daily special was lentil loaf with mushroom gravy. Nice salad with home made broccoli, potato and leek soup. Carrot cake for dessert. All vegan, made to order and delicious. Recommend this place. Omnivore hubby even liked it too.

Pros: vegan, fresh, cosy

Small Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

Great soups and sandwiches. Fully licensed so you can enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. Seitan "smoked meat" and lentil soup are our favourites! Good amount of vegan options.

Pros: Healthy, Vegan options, knowledgeable staff

Cons: Basic menu (variety not exciting)

Great place to eat - Edit

Between my girlfriend and I we got the Bruschetta as an app (actually it came after our meals because we ordered the vegan empanadas but then were told they were out), the Black Bean Chili with quinoa, vegan Reuben, brownie with soy ice cream and the chocolate mousse. All this came to about $60...you can decide if that's too much or not...felt a little expensive to me. The bruschetta and brownie were not labeled vegan on the menu but I was told they could be (or were) made vegan for us. The bruschetta came late but it was the highlight of the meal. The chili was really good too...a little bit of a kick but not overwhelming. My gf loved her reuben and the chocolate mousse (although it was more like chocolate pudding than mousse...very tasty). The brownie with ice cream was ok. The service was very slow but it was what we wanted...the ability to chat and sit around...if you're looking to get the service going more quickly, just ask as the server (there was only one) was very nice and helpful. Overall it was a great experience...the food was very good, the place is cozy and the service is warm and friendly.

Pros: Good food, Cozy environment, Friendly service

Cons: A tad expensive, Service is more on the slow side

Lovely food, lovely place! - Edit

I have eaten in this resto more than 10 times and took all of my friends there and I was never tired of their food! Service could be a bit slow, but the food is great and the place is authentic - so no problems to wait a bit. Reasonably priced and very worth a visit! Do not forget to visit ERA Vintage Wear just next door!- Jean-Paul Gautier shops there too!

Pros: great food, nice authentic place, fairly priced

Cons: a bit off the path

Eh... - Edit

This place was not very convenient to the metro, but thought we'd try it anyway. There weren't very many vegan things on the menu. The most exciting was the lasagna. I have to admit it was extremely yummy and the bread it came with was delicious. I even got a frozen lasagna to go. The price for the portion size was a little expensive. The service was poor as the waitress completely forgot about our drinks. Check out the lasagna if you're in the neighborhood, but there are better places to go for vegan food.

Pros: lasagna, atmosphere

Cons: poor service, lack of interesting vegan options, inconvenient location

simple, delicious and very very clean - Edit

If you are a veggie, or want to try, Bonny's is the Queen of the crop. Prices are okay, food very very good, ambience just fine. I am on my way back there now. Thinking about the menu has made me hungry.

Pros: very good food, okay prices, nice place and hood

I wouldn't.... - Edit

We had a particularly bad experience here, which can happen. We arrived for lunch when the restaurant was completely empty. Nonetheless, it took forever to get served and then our order took around 30 minutes to arrive. We had a hummus plate which came with four tiny squares of pita. And this was the highlight of our meal! Next up was a veggie burger which we ordered without cheese, as we are vegan. Naturally, it came dripping with cheese. We sent it back, and given how long it took to arrive, decided to leave. We also had a salad that was bland and boring. To top it all off, they tried to charge us for the burger, which we adamantly refused to pay for. Very poor experience, and we won't be back.

Pros: Nothing

Cons: Everything

Much Improved - Edit

I've been here a few times, most recently last week, and was quite impressed with the food and service which has definitely improved with time. Can't complain about the portion sizes. Home cooked, and healthy organic are tops in my book. Yes, a little out of the way, but worth it. If you work nearby, great place for regular meals.

nothing special but SO comforting - Edit

I went once in 2006 and thought it was a nice restaurant. small and warm place with a nice open kitchen.
home made food, nothing special but comforting.
i had a good stuffed pepper with brown rice.

Ok - Edit

This place is ok. It's a bit out of the way and the prices are high. They do have some wonderful choices like vegan lasagna though.

In general, I find the dishes a bit bland and two or three bites too small, but healthy and nice.

They also close now and then to take holidays so call ahead. There is nothing else anywhere near there if they are closed.

Pros: healthy, friendly

Cons: expensive, bland

tasty - Edit

Did a takeaway order for a small group of people trying different things. Some quite bland (samosas, carrot cake, nachos), some quite good (veg burgers, hummos). Wish they had more vegan options...

Meh - Edit

My wife and I went out of our way to try this place out and were pretty disappointed. The menu selection for vegans was pretty slim, but that was okay, so I ordered something like a sloppy joe and my wife got a mushroom burger. They didn't have tops to the buns, which was a little weird, and not very satisfying. Generally the portions were small; most of the plate was taken up by a boring salad.

The menu items are not clearly marked as vegan, vegetarian, or non-vegetarian, so make to ask for clarification if that's an issue for you.

All in all not so bad, until I got the bill, which ended up being over thirty dollars for two people (and we were still hungry).

I would definitely recommend ChuChai or Aux Vivre over Bonny's.

Pros: Healthy, *, *

Cons: Can be expensive, Forgettable service, Forgettable food

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bonnys Vegetarian and Organic Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.