CLOSED: Bongo Cafe and Grille

• Veg-friendly

Contact 609-938-0680

1050 Bay Ave, Ocean City, New Jersey, USA, 08226

Serves meat, vegan options available. Breakfast and lunch place. Has an extensive vegan menu and a large sign on the door stating that they love vegans. SEPT 2014 PER OWNER SHUT.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by RoxiRae

A Friendly, Delicious Vegan Oasis at NJ Shore - Edit

Being vegan and gluten/dairy-free can be challenging at best when visiting the NJ shore (admittedly, my partner and I are a tall order!) but not at Bongo Cafe.

In planning our trip to Ocean City, we researched Happy Cow and found a few places to eat that seemed accommodating. At first glance of Bongo's online menu, it seemed that we would have more than a few choices as opposed to the one or two items included on other area eatery menus. Upon arriving, we knew this was a special place as we were greeted by a sign on the door which read "We Love Vegans". We were seated at a window table and promptly greeted by Demaris, a friendly and knowledgeable server at Bongo. For the next 3 days, we enjoyed 4 delicious and savory meals there (7 in total for the two of us as we doubled-up on our first dinner), one more flavorful than the next. Demaris and other staff at Bongo knew their vegan and gluten/dairy-free, so there was no mix-up and our seemingly complex order was greeted with patience, care and ease. Throw in the quaint beach/tiki bar decor and eclectic music mix of surf/reggae/Latin and Bongo was the clear runaway go-to eatery for us.

We especially recommend the 'Shroom Reuben, Seitan Fajitas, Tempeh Hash, Tofu Scramble and On The Way To Cape May herbal tea pot.

Thank you, Demaris and the rest of the staff at Bongo for helping make our three days in Ocean City even more delightful. We're planning another trip this summer and will be back!
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 15, 2014

Pros: Delicious food/diverse Menu, Friendly, knowledgable staff/Nice decor, Priced Right/Good Value

Great South Jersey Beach. Find - Edit

This place is a great find. I usually stay in Sea Isle City and have no where to get a vegan breakfast. The Tofu Scramble is consistently good, the home fries are made without butter and all of their breads are vegan.

Pros: Vegan breakfast, Cute atmosphere, Able to find street parking

Cons: Only one vegan breakfast option

Shore'ly the Best - Edit

Family of four all vegans. We absolutely love Bongo. Amazing vegan menu in addition to regular menu. Our favorite place to eat...it's nice to have a lot of choices. Usually when we eat out there is one or two things to choose from if we are lucky, not the case with Bongo. Between all of us have tried everything on vegan menu and its all delicious and so fresh. Love the owners too, great people! Wanted to give 5 stars but web site wouldn't allow???
Updated from previous review on Friday May 31, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Casual

Sunshine in Ocean City! - Edit

We had two amazing vegan meals at this retro decorated beachy cafe recently! The tacos with fresh grilled pineapple were amazing. My son had a tofu scramble, he asked for dry 12 grain toast, which was delicious, and he got Earth Balance on the side. Almond milk was available for my (organic, fair-trade)coffee! Second time we tried seitan fajitas....WOW!! Can't wait for summer to begin, we'll be in O.C. all summer and dining frequently at Bongo!

Pros: many vegan choices, very clean, great service

Cons: busy, not all-vegan restaurant, can only give 4 cows

Don't bother. - Edit

My boyfriend and I ordered a vegan tofu scramble. Waitress asked if we wanted toast and we said yes. They brought it out and butter was already on the toast. Their excuse was that they don't know that you are vegan and that you have to ask for plain toast. For a restaurant that proudly claims they serve vegan food, this was disappointing. I doubt the toast itself was vegan. I will not come back.

Pros: Good soy cheese, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: The entire dish tasted the same, Expensive, Not vegan

Return to Ocean City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bongo Cafe and Grille closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1913 times since May 2013.