First Review by SynthVegan

My favorite spot in NYC! - Edit

I spent a week in New York, and I ate here four times. It's nothing fancy, but the food is consistently great, the staff are very friendly and helpful (my experiences were much, much different than the other reviewer's) and I like the space. It's a nice little cafe with no pretension. It's laid back and a nice place to chat over a meal or to read if by yourself. I love all of the natural light, too. The Sag breakfast sandwich (scrambled tofu, sausage (or tempeh, I had both) and daiya cheddar on a kaiser roll. Wow, I loved it (and had it twice). I also enjoyed the Reuben and the hummus. I had the pleasure of stopping in for Sunday brunch, and devoured the tofu benny. Their coffee drinks and chai were also nice. I didn't get a chance to try the Polish sausage sandwich, but saw someone else enjoying it, and I look forward to ordering that on my next trip. I typically don't give five happy cows to a non-100% vegan establishment, but I'm going to make an exception here because I enjoyed my time at Boneshakers so much.

Pros: great breakfast and brunch, great space, great vegan options

Bad Service, Decent Food... - Edit

During our NYC trip, we went out of our way to go to Boneshakers in Brooklyn one evening. The cabs in total cost us $40.00, so you can see that I really wanted to try this place. When my bf and I arrived at the restaurant we walked in and were not acknowledged by the waitress. She was busy having a conversation with three men for a long period of time, if we didn't spend all that money on a cab we would have walked out and gone elsewhere. I understand if they may have been regulars, however, there is no excuse to ignore and allow other customers to wait for the employees to finish personal conversations...awkward.

I got the Merckx Werkx sandwich and thought it was decent, but they put on too much olive tapenade. It was spread thickly on both sides and was just overkill; after I scrapped a bunch off it was much better. My bf's sandwich was really good and I felt the salads were really good as well. I didn't mind the decor of the place and understand they'll add more to it in time; hopefully their customer service improves as well.

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Boneshakers closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 223 times since Nov 2008.