First Review by

A big disappointment - Edit

I love Indian food and was looking forward to eating here. Unfortunately, the food was not nearly as good as we have here in Provo, Utah. Worse, I specifically said we wanted vegan food when we ordered, assuming the woman would let us know if something we ordered was not vegan or would modify it to be vegan. It was not until the food was done that she let us know that one dish was vegetarian, not vegan. The other two were vegan, but one was not at all tasty. The naan was also so-so. Fortunately, the last dish was both tasty and vegan! The "treats" they have are quite unhealthy: lots of sugar and fat.

Pros: Good prices

Cons: Not very tasty, Difficult to get vegan

A Milwaukee Staple - Edit

Bombay Sweets is easily one of the best loved vegetarian restaurants in Milwaukee. They have a large pure-veg menu that features appetizers (man, I miss the aloo tikka!), main dishes, breads, and desserts. They have a large counter where you can buy dried nuts, snack mixes and sweets in bulk to take home. Every time I've been there it's been the same adorable, older women running the kitchen and taking orders (sometimes they seem a little crabby but I would be too if I worked everyday). While it's pure-veg you do have to watch out for dairy. Many of the entrees come with yogurt but if you ask for it to be left off they usually will give you double the main dish. This may sound odd but it's because of the types of plates: disposable picnic-style trays that have one large area for rice and the two smaller areas for sides. This, of course, is the main detraction of Bombay Sweets. Everything is served on styrofoam plates and cups and plastic utensils bu they have a self-serve water cooler so you can bring your own cups, or utensils for that matter. Also, its bright florescent lighting, mirror covered walls, and general school cafeteria atmosphere makes it a little odd but the food is so good and cheap that it's totally worth it. If only they'd get rid of the plastic utensils!
P.S. They accept cash and credit cards.

Pros: great food, super cheap, right next door to an India grocer

Cons: plastic, styrofoam, location can be hard to get to for some

second only to indian food in india - Edit

hands down the best indian food i've ever had in the states. they feature an all vegetarian menu (if you're vegan, ask about ingredients as some dishes are made with cream). One could easily order 4 entrees and two appetizers for just about $20. There's also a very conviniently located Indian market next door so makre sure to stop by there as well.

Pros: very authentic, inexpensive, delicious!

Cons: at times salty

Return to Milwaukee Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bombay Sweets closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3007 times since Aug 2007.