Bombay Spiceland Restaurant

Contact 818-701-9383

8650 Reseda Blvd Unit 4, Northridge, California, USA, 91324

Vegetarian Indian fast food restaurant next door to its all veg Indian grocery store. Most hot food items are already cooked and kept warm in a steamtable; there is also an a la carte menu. Authentic Indian style. Counter service.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by blueBox

For the brave - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Bombay Spiceland Restaurant review.

It's a well-lit place with a large counter steamtable and plenty of casual seating. Besides the already cooked stuff, there's also an a la carte menu where you can order foods stuff like dosas.

The family that runs this place is Indian, and the food style is authentic Indian. I ordered a couple samosas and a fried potato "cake." My stomach turned when the man who took my order took the potato "cake" and placed it in a microwave for 30 seconds, then felt it with his bare hand, and then tossed it into a kettle of frying oil that seemed like it had been sitting there for a long while. He told me that the potato cakes were only partially cooked and had to be cooked some more. I didn't like that he used his bare hand - the same hand with which he handled my money.

This may be a place for you if you are adventurous with an iron stomach and like authentic Indian style fast food at very cheap prices. I'm too squirmish for this and my stomach is sensitive.

Warming tray .. - Edit

Indian can be mighty, but this was a one star event. I should have known better when I had to ask what the translucent pineapple appearing chunks were? Perhaps there was a preparation for Paneer I had not tried. Instead of fluffy or light, the cheese was a tough rubbery texture from refrigeration, frying, and reheating. The sweets appeared fresh but obviously not made within the last few days. The grocery isles and non perishables were apparently fine. Not the largest selection, but some nice imports. The produce section was minute and not well cared for. Frozen selection looked good but containers were suspiciously worn. Maybe use this shop for chutney's or spices, but be cautious before ordering anything made there.

Return to Northridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bombay Spiceland Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1236 times since Jan 2011.