CLOSED: Bombay Spice Grill and Wine

Contact 312-477-7657

213 E Ohio St Ste 213, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60611

Serves meat, vegan options available. American take on Indian cuisine, with marked veggie choices, each menu item with lower calories than traditional Indian. Food is prepared with olive oil rather than ghee or butter. Moved from 450 N Clark St. MAR 2015 REPORTED SHUT, WEBSITE & PHONE NOT WORKING.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by happycowgirl

Better vegan food than most Indian restaurants - Edit

A colleague and I had dinner at Bombay Spice while in Chicago on business. It was an easy walk from our hotel downtown. First the negatives – the front door was very heavy; I watched people struggle with it upon arriving at the restaurant, and it banged noisily every time the server went outside to wait on the outdoor tables, which was every couple of minutes. The music was also very loud, although I guess I got used to it. The service was mediocre, and the food was decent. We both had the build-your-own entrée consisting of a base (all vegan), a sauce (all vegan), and entrée (veggies, chickpeas, tofu or meat). The food was actually better than most Indian restaurants I’ve eaten at where the menu is heavy on meat and creamy dishes.

Pros: Good food, Vegan options

Cons: Noisy front door, Loud music, Apathetic staff

Very Vegan Friendly - Edit

I've been here during the week in the evening three times now with my vegan husband. I love the service and the food. Their samosas are delicious and much healthier than typical indian restaurants because they don't fry anything. I really enjoy the masala with mixed vegetables and potatoes, but the sampler platter is great for a first-time to try out more of their sauces.

They only have one vegan dessert, so when we came here for my husbands birthday, I brought in vegan cake. They were extremely nice about it and helped me surprise my husband by bringing out from the kitchen with candles and singing.

Pros: Healthy, not fried, Large portions, Good food

Cons: No free papadum

Bombay Spice Grill and Wine - Edit

We recently dined at Bombay Spice and Wine (BSGW) and had a mixed experience, but overall we thought the food was good. BSGW is an Indian restaurant that promotes healthy eating, so I believe most of the ingredients are void of butter and cream (note that they do use yogurt). The menu also clearly states if items are vegetarian or vegan, this certainly makes the navigating the menu much easier veg*ns. One thing that differentiates BSGW from other Indian restaurants is their build your own menu. I admit I was a little thrown off by that at first, but I always order the same thing at every Indian restaurant I go to so this wasn't a problem. The build your own consists of one vegetable (+$1 for extras), one meat/tofu, rice/quinoa, and a sauce (all sauces appeared to be vegan). I ordered potatoes and cauliflower with curry, extra Indian spicy. I thought my dish was good and flavorful and would certainly order it again. While they actually listened to me and made my dish extra spicy, disappointingly they did not do the same with my bf's dish. The service was also very spotty, while our waiter was friendly he never brought water to the table (after we had asked three times - we had another waiter bring us water) and the service was just slow in general. Overall, we'd go back, but I'd say this place is more deserving of a 3.5 rating.

Upscale Vegan Indian Food - Edit

What I love*love*love about this place is the way they mark their menu. Not only is there a little green leaf next to the vegetarian items, there is a green circle with a 'V' next to the vegan items. As a new vegan, this makes surfing the menu so much easier for me. Wouldn't it be great if all menus were like this?

The next thing that impressed me was the way the items are listed on the menu. It's my personal pet peeve when restaurants - even veg-friendly restaurants - list the meat items first and put the vegetarian ones at the bottom of the list. Like we are an afterthought. Veg items are front and center on this menu.

Now to the food. I can vouch for the mango salad, samosas, and curry tofu with basmati rice (all vegan). They have a vegetarian AND vegan salads, cold appetizers and hot appetizers. Then the way it works is you crate your own entree by first choosing basmati rice, brown rice or quinoa (all vegan). They also offer noodles. Then choose from 8 kinds of vegetables or tofu and add a house-made sauce. All 5 of their sauces are vegan. It is awesome to have the menu so wide open for vegans.

Note: roti bread is vegan, naan is not.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bombay Spice Grill and Wine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1845 times since Aug 2011.