Bombay Chaat House

Contact 503-380-3087

804 SW 12th Ave (at SW Yamhill St, Downtown District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97205

This is a red and green food truck with some seating. Serves vegetarian Indian food including basmati rice dishes, snack/chaat food, vegetable dishes, tandoori breads, drinks. Chai with soymilk (when available) for extra 50 cents. Daily special plate costs around $6. Some vegetarian items can be made vegan upon request. Vegans to specify. Note: this truck is stationed right next to the Indian Chaat House, which is also a Indian vegetarian food cart that is the original Indian veg cart operated by the same owners.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Chia

Cheap and filling lunch - Edit

Where else can you get a meal with four types of curries, rice, and a massive piece of freshly prepared vegan naan for just only $6? Tell them vegan when ordering and they'll sub out whatever's not. The curries weren't bad, just a bit too tame for my taste. The naan, though, was absolutely amazing and more than made up for the weaker side dishes. Overall I was very happy with my experience here and wouldn't hesitate to come back!

Pros: great value, vegan naan

Cons: could be spicier

All veg and super affordable - Edit

Located just a few blocks north of the main downtown area, you can find this Portland food truck to satiate your Indian fast food cravings. The food is fast and dished out steaming hot in a huge serving that really can feed 2 people… unless you are really into the food and really hungry.

They have a website that tells you what is vegan, but you can also just tell them what you want, and they will quickly let you know if it is or is not vegan. Some items can't be veganized. Much of the food is prepared in advance, so, if they're out, they're out.

There is street food, as well, like samosas and chips, lentil donuts and puri. Fun fun fun to eat, but well, not the most healthful.

It's fabulously filling though, and super affordable. Order the 6 item (rice + naan + 4 dishes) meal for $6.50 (with tax). Umm, yes, please. It is more food that you really should eat, but it's so good. The problem though, is that it's not really healthful eating. Great protein source with the chana and dal, but lots of carbs from the rice, naan and potatoes. The dal and chana dishes are my favorite.

Also, the veggies are severely lacking and lackluster. The spinach/saag dishes must use frozen spinach, because it is so spinach green in the bad sense and so finely pureed, I can't imagine doing that to fresh spinach. The vegetable khorma has hidden veggies so thickly coated in sauce, I have never known what I was eating.

The sauces are phenomenal though, but some of them are heavily coconut-based… and they don't skimp on it, so the calories are HIGH. Who cares though, if you are eating at a food truck for $6.50, you're probably not really worried about calories and high veggie content. Right? Yummm….!

Pros: 100% vegetarian, Easily veganized 80% of menu, Vegan chai

Cons: Not healthful, Huge portions easily consumed..., When out of items, out of items

Ridiculously Tasty - Edit

Note: Bombay Chaat House and India Chaat House merged again. The food is soooo delicious and though it does take a while, the staff is very friendly and authentic and the food is always steaming and flavorful.

I've gotten a couple of things there, and it was all wonderful, but the last time I went, I was still vegetarian, not vegan. I'm sure that they have some vegan options or could make some adjustments to accommodate a vegan customer, but the staff doesn't speak English very well, so it might be difficult to ask. I'm sure they get that kind of question a lot though, and would be totally willing to help. They're really great.

It's kind of out of the way, not with the rest of the food carts at all, but definitely worth the walk and definitely worth the wait.

Pros: huge, steamy meals, amazing staff, very authentic

Cons: hard to find, not much seating

Food Cart Fantasy - Edit

I am a huge Indian fan so when I moved a few blocks over from this cart, I was insanely pleased to be within walking distance of a curry house! Traditionally on the east coast, Indian food is fairly hard to find and very expensive. Bombay Chaat house is very affordable and very tasty. Adding to my excitement, the cart is 100% vegetarian, allowing me to avoid special orders or interrogations about the ingredients. Each time I have ordered from here, even when ordering quantities for me and my boyfriend, the cost has been under $15 and we've had enough food for lunch the next day, or later that evening per my tastebuds' calling. The food is always very hot and fresh and the taste proves it to be homemade. The staff is always very friendly and happy to see all patrons. I highly recommend this cart to anyone who desires a nice curry or anyone willing to try one!

Pros: Great Food, Great Prices, Very Friendly Staff

Indian Food Cart - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to stop in on my Portland trip a while back. Here's my Bombay Chaat House review.

This is a food cart, not a restaurant. The guys working in the truck were friendly. I ordered a tandoori bread with potato stuff and a chai with soymilk. There was a small line of people getting food here. Very cheap food. Tasted okay. But the chai was too sweet for me (likely sweetened with regular sugar).

Street food feel, nothing gourmet, but fills a craving for quite Indian bite.

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bombay Chaat House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2238 times since Sep 2009.