First Review by Deano

Needs clean - Edit

Agree with previous reviews... it is very dirty and dark inside. The staff give it a very eery feel and the food is subpar, if your into watery oily curries and burnt rice then this is a good all you can eat buffet. Ive made better curries at home with a more authentic taste. For 5.95 you'd expect a lot better... the toilets are atrocious and i won't be going back.

Pros: Quiet

Cons: Hygeine, Staff not nice, Food

Disgusting - Edit

Have been here once before the food was decent. Not authentic or very flavourful but decent. Went here yesterday and the food was SHOCKING so watery every curry had the same flavour and consistency. It was awful. My 2 year old was charged for the kids buffet despite eating MY rice. The place is very dirty e.g toilets with wobbly seat and no sink. Will never be going back.

Pros: Empty

Cons: Dirty, Bad food, Rip off

Cheap and Cheerful - Edit

I go to Bombay Aloo regularly when in town. Staff are usually friendly and great range (you can look at the buffet from outside the window if unsure).

Pros: Cheap, All-you can eat, Staff

Cons: Quie crammed, Can become busy

decent & cheap - Edit

It hasn't changed much in the last several years. Decent food and cheap. You get what you pay for - a bit watered down with plenty of 'bulking' veg like potatoes and cabbage. Can get frantic on a Saturday night. Staff are happy to point out vegan dishes.

Pros: cheap, convenient for fast meal, decent quality

Cons: not much space between tables!

cheap & cheerful - Edit

Little restaurant that has an all you can eat buffet for £4.95 a bargain! All food is vegetarian and staff are very helpful in letting you know what is vegan (avoid the naan, bahjis & korma). Curries are a bit watery but the veg is fresh and each curry has a different flavour and heat, at that price who is complaining!

A Buffet to remember! - Edit

The Bombay Aloo is a wonderful restaurant that always has a superb tasty range of buffet dishes on offer. Here are the best simple and delicious meals I’ve had.
They also serve a great pot of tea.
Pleasant surroundings.
Excellent food at an affordable price.

Pros: Incredible range buffet, Taste!, Price!

I wouldnt eat here.. - Edit

Phones this restaurant to enquire about vegan options after hearing from a friend that the vegan options had improved. The man who answered told me that it was very inconvenient not to use milk in the dishes and so they only had one dish - a curry which was "vegan, but it might have milk in it"! I asked if he could find out for certain which dishes would be suitable and he said "no we wouldn't be able to do that". Oh well..in that case I wouldn't dare eat here.

Cons: Rude staff, Don't know ingredients of dishes on menu, Not accommodating to vegans

Affordable, tasty and almost entirely vegan. - Edit

Great for a quick bite - especially if you're visiting Brighton and looking for a tasty, affordable meal. The staff are more than happy to point out what isn't vegan - which is only a few items (naan bread, one of the battered items, yogurt and the korma curry, but double check when you're there). As much as you can eat for around £5 - but cheaper during the day and for takeaway. I think it's £2 for a curry and rice box. Quick service, don't expect anything amazing but sometimes you just want to eat quickly and move on!

Pros: Quick, easy and cheap., Almost everything is vegan.

budget price food - Edit

Average sloppy joe type Indian food at a budget cost. Huge chunks of boiled spud in each curry, most of which are utterly tasteless and bland.Tasteless bhajis and a similar potato creation that is utterly unseasoned and tasteless.
Food definitely not great but filling if you are really hungry.

Pros: cheap

Cons: bland, tasteless

Good budget Indian - Edit

The food is far from perfect but it's pretty tasty and very good for such a low cost place. I sometimes get takeaway from here (£2 a box for a pretty reasonable amount) or go for the £3.50 offer mid-afternoon.

Pros: Price, Good for all you can eat

Cons: Food quality not brilliant

Good, afordable food - Edit

I've eaten here quite often, they have discounted meals between 15-17. The food is good, plenty of vegan meals, and the naan bread is really good. The staff are friendly and happy to point out the vegan options.
The restaurant is a pleasant place to eat, not noisy, even though it is pretty much right next to the main thorough road in town.

charasi-i 18 Oct 2014 - The naan bread isn't vegan.

Nice buffet - Edit

We ate here about a year ago and we were veggie at the time, so I can't comment on dairy etc, but we thought it was good value and there was a good amount on offer. The staff were friendly enough and the place was busy, so it must be doing alright!
We're vegan now though, so if we did go back we'd check what was available before starting to be sure (after reading these reviews)

Good value for money - Edit

I used to love this restaurant. Each time when we were in Brighton we were eating there because it's in the centre, it's not expensive and the food was always good enough. They also always pointed out which dishes are not vegan.
Unfortunately last two times when we were eating there I ended up being unwell. I heard few times the waiters saying that they do own also a meat reastaurant so I do not trust them anylonger. After being unwell twice after eating there I don't think I will visit them again.

Pros: central location, cheap, friendly staff

Cons: don't trust them any more

Excellent value - Edit

I really love the value of this place, and for that alone it deserves voting up. They don't serve gourmet Indian cuisine, but it's only £4.95 for ALL YOU CAN EAT (or £3.50 all you can eat for a couple of hours in the after noon!)...

The staff are friendly and clearly point out what is not vegan if you ask - everything is vegetarian. There are quite a lot of options, including chopped salad, breads, deep friend onion things, various curries, dhal, chutney dips etc.

I wouldn't say 'wow, what amazing food', but it's a sweet place and an amazing option for anyone who wants to eat out on a budget.

Pros: Value, central Brighton

Great gem of a place. - Edit

I don't understand why this place is getting such a poor write up for lots of reviewers. The place has a great selection of food, and you can go back as many times as you like no quibble. They don't even mind if you ask for tap water and the price is so cheap it's a steal! Me and my husband go there every time we are in Brighton and found the food always ok, and staff friendly enough. Not on your case but then it's not the oxo tower. I don't know what people expect. You get at least 5 dishes to chose from, nan bread, popadoms, Onion Bhaji, chutney, salad. Come on....this place does not advertise as vegan, so any vegan complaining should understand it's not trying to be vegan. I'm sure you can work out a Korma contains dairy, only criticisms are its too small so you can't always get a table!

Pros: Value for money, Good selection of food, Prompt service

Cons: A little on the small side in there!

Good value - Edit

My partner and I have frequented this restaurant many times over the years. The food is quite basic in buffet style with most of the dishes vegan (ask the waiter when you go in). There isn't much selection for the buffet and you won't be blown away by the quality but it is great value for money - filling, cheap, and cheerful. As such, it is often busy and the staff are friendly.

Pros: good value, filling, friendly

Great all-you-can-eat curry house - Edit

No frills veggie curries with a few sides & fruit salad thrown in. Very cheap basic food, mostly vegan. Nothing to complain about

Pros: Price

Cons: Naan's not vegan

Return to Brighton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bombay Aloo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.