Bodhi Tree Cafe

Contact 857084998

13 Ratchadamnoen Rd Soi 4 (at Old City), Chiang Mai, Thailand,

Restaurant with room for rent, in old town on a quiet side street since 2015. Serves both Thai style and Western food plus smoothies, juices. Makes its own plant-based milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, salad sauces and dips. Directions: Rachadamnoen Rd Soi 4, turn left into Soi 4 looking from Thapae Gate, walk till the very end of the Soi, then turn left. Not to be confused with the defunct Bodhi Zhen. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Thai, Western, Juice bar

First Review by LilacHippy

yummy breakfast :) - Edit

Such a nice chilled out spot for breakfast - I had the porridge with plant milk, banana and maple syrup instead of honey, PB toast, and a mango, banana and pineapple smoothie. Delicious, and staff were lovely. Good coffee too!

Pros: western breakfast, lots of vegan options , friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: not all vegan

shocked - Edit

sadly this place seemed it was falling apart, no other customers there either, we were too afraid to order a meal due to the enormous amount of insects on the table and flying all around.... ordered a coconut and my sis got the banana nice cream and it seemed as if it had been purchased from somewhere else and chucked in the freezer, it came in a plastic packet with a wet plate.

Cons: no appeal whatsoever

laid back decent restaurant - Edit

came here to eat in the evenings sometimes, decent salads, food quality seems good, great place to come if you want to eat in a quiet laid back place, has wifi. I wasn't blown away by the menu though.

Pros: nice food, laid back atmosphere, has wifi

Cons: wasn't impressed with menu

Laid back and quiet - Edit

There's a feeling this place has become a little old and rundown. But the peace and quiet under a huge Bodhi Tree from the neighbouring temple is what brings me back here. The menu is the same the number 2 cafe up the road, but sitting in the pergola in the garden is the difference. If you want somewhere tidier and more switched on, try Bodhi Tree Cafe 2 up the road.

Pros: Quiet

Cons: Rundown

Fine small rustic restaurant on a quiet alley - Edit

I´ve had the burger twice and I do like it. The first time I thought that the patty was mock beef, but on the second time it was less "beefy" and I thought that it was a mushroom patty, I don´t know. They have home-made mustard-tasting vegan mayo (which I don´t think has much to do with usual vegan mayos).

Avocado-cucumber soup tasted mostly like fried sesame oil. Potato salad was fine, but not anything special. I haven´t tried the Thai dishes.

Rustic and charming are good words to describe the decoration, but they should keep the restaurant clean and clutter free, because it looks a bit messy. I´ve been here twice and service has been a bit awkward (but very friendly) so they should pay attention to that too.

Pros: Food

Cons: Service is awkward, A bit messy place

Hidden gem but a bit dirty - Edit

Hidden gem in CNX. Very tasty foods and drinks, mostly organic & vegan. Love the nature setting. Toilet is dirty, which often says something about the restaurant..

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-10

Pros: Nature setting, Very tasty food, Organic

Cons: Not very chatty people, Dirty toilet (!)

cute vegan outdoor cafe - Edit

Stayed at a hotel right next to this place. The workers and the owner are super nice and friendly. Over my trips here I had a green curry with rice, fresh rolls, and for breakfast a fruit platter with toast and a smoothie. Everything was fresh and delicious, not to mention extremely cheap.

Quiet, yummy oasis! - Edit

It was a nice surprise to arrive in the tranquil setting of the Bodhi Tree Cafe. While the rustic setting might put off some people I thought it was charming. There is a very good selection of vegan and vegetarian meals. We ordered the potato salad, vegan burger and a red curry. All were nice but the best part of our meal were the banana, nut and spirulina shakes which were yummy. I would definitely go back again.

Great Great Great! - Edit

Found this gem so late on my journey but oh wow, this café/restaurant really has the best atmosphere in Chiang Mai, tucked away from the noise of the traffic the only thing you'll hear here is the chirping of the birds.

The menue is perfect and you will always find something you like. The price is just a little bit higher than elsewhere, but not for the whole menue! You can get a soup for 50 Baht which is really cheap!

The chefs in this restaurant are all female and put a lot of love into their food, I like the thought of supporting them and their philosophy.

We had a carrot soup (50 B) as a starter, then ordered a sandwich (120 B + 30 B for hummus we shared), which was unreal, so tasty and fresh, and for desert because they were out of energy balls I ordered their delicious vegan yoghurt (30 B) which is made with passionfruit and I also asked for maple syrup.

The food was ssooooo good and left me completely satisfied without feeling heavy in my stomach so I would guess it's very low fat plus very fresh. They really do make everything from scratch so it takes a little while. Favourite place in Chiang Mai! So sad that I was only able to eat here twice :(

Pros: Fresh, Low fat, Amazing taste

Relaxing and friendly lunch spot - Edit

A great place with tons of vegan options. We had spring rolls, smoothies, papaya salad, and glass noodles--we loved everything! We will surely go back. Moderate prices.

Pros: mostly vegan options, decent portions, chill vibe

organic homemade food - Edit

The owner of the cafe really cares about environment and health. They have an awesome porridge with coconutcream, nuts and seeds! Extra requests are no problem. prices are allright.

Pros: very open minded owner, friendly staff

Amazing pocket of peace - Edit

In a really quiet location down side streets. Very well signposted. Really friendly service and the best gazpacho EVER!!! And a killer apple & celery juice!

Pros: Calm & relaxing, Friendly service, Amazing food

Do not order the breakfast sets! - Edit

We've been very disapointed by the breakfast set we ordered as it was NOT ALL ORGANIC AND NATURAL FOOD, which made us quite angry... And it costs 200 bahts (which is much more expensive than any other organic restaurants around, so it should be delicious but no...)

The set is: "set of organic fruit salad, home-made yogurt, pancakeS with organic jam/honey/butter, big glass of organic fresh juice, big cup of organic coffee/tea."

What we got:
- a bowl of fruits with "vegan yogurt" (it was not yogurt but more like a coconut, cashew purée but that tasted good),
- only one really tough pancake (I know we can't find any really decent pancakes here in Thailand but it was even tougher than any other places - pancakes requires to use baking soda!!) with sirup (this is not honey, and I'm not sure it is organic but can't say), no jam, no butter as said in the menu,
- a glass of orange juice which tasted as if it was mixed with chemical cheap juice (so, not sure it is all natural)
- I ordered a green tea that was definitely NOT natural. It was fluorescent green and tasted not natural. When I asked the waiteress if it was natural green tea she answered that it is "Thai green tea", it is made with powder. Yuk!

So, Bodhi tree cafe doesn't serve all organic and natural food as it pretends they do.

However, the place is nice and cosy. But you'd better stick to Thai and Burmese food, and smoothies are good too. But keep away from breakfast sets, it is disapointing. And the feeling to be cheated with bad products is just non acceptable to me.

Pros: cosy place, friendly staff

Cons: not organic and natural food, bad breakfast sets, bad value for money

Average offerings - Edit

I was pretty excited to try this place, but it was fairly average. Full of backpackers on laptops which kills the outdoor vibe a bit. My massaman curry was mostly coconut milk, a little lacking in flavour. Smoothie was great though! Come with mozzie repellant due to it being outdoors. The Thai staff were delightfully friendly. I would definitely try it again if in the area in case I got them on a bad day.

Pros: Lots of options, Smoothies

Cons: Mozzies, Laptops killing the atmosphere

Fantastic, a favourite. - Edit

Highly recommend the Burmese Tea Leaf Salad - wow! Massive flavour punch & a decent serving, 100tbh. Add rice & this is a very satisfying meal all on its own. I chose this almost every visit, it was my favourite.

Also, the vegan Pad Thai here is the best I have encountered in 2 months of Thailand. The fresh lime wedge & the finely ground peanuts make it. It's less salty than Pad Thai elsewhere, which I prefer.

The coffee here is good. The smoothies are excellent with optional "superfood" additions such as spirulina.

Visited at least 6 times during Feb. Love the food here-- organic, mostly vegan options.

The vibe is relaxed, non-rushed, friendly. There are tables with chairs or cross legged cushion options. Plenty of space.

The owners are wonderfully welcoming. At least one of them speaks French.

Take mosquito repellent. It's an outdoor setting & they can get annoying. The owner kindly provides natural repellent too.

Pros: Burmese tea leaf salad, Pad Thai

Cons: mosquitos

disappointing - Edit

the vegan yoghurt but it was quite foul. the passion cheesecake was frozen solid and not very nice flavour or quantity considering the price. my friend ordered a thai meal and that was much nicer.

like the food and relaxing - Edit

Healthy food and good to take a nap after :)

Pros: food is good, i like to take a nap after there

Cons: desserts are frozen and not self made, toilet water system is slow and hard to wash hands

Mixed bag - Edit

A good range of options on their menu.

Had a very nice som tam but they gave me green curry instead of red curry by mistake, forgot to bring me my rice, and served me a dessert that was still frozen solid.

Not great overall.

Restaurant also has quite a lot of mosquitoes cos it is outdoors.

Cons: Not very attentive service, Mozzies

Friendly and good food - Edit

They have really good food, I had their pad Thai and it was very delicious ! Also they have vegan pancakes so if you like pancakes here is a good place :) the staff is super nice and easy to talk to! It is a very different environment you sit in compared to other restaurants very "back to nature" which is very different and very creative :)

One of my favorite vegan restaurants in Chiang Mai - Edit

Right next to my co-working office, in the middle of Old Town in Chiang Mai is a little eco resort with it's own vegan restaurant: Bodhi Tree. It's a cute little place comprised of bamboo huts, seating pillows on the floor, old trees with hanging branches. It feels like it's somewhere on the outskirts of town, surrounded by nature, but actually it's just a few minutes walk away from busy Thapae Gate. There's a really positive and friendly vibe in this place.

I was welcomed by a sweet dog who approached me for cuddles, and a friendly and relaxed host who was very passionate about the food they were serving. She liked telling me about the origins of their ingredients (all from organic markets) and gave me tips on good menu combinations. I ended up ordering fried pumpkin in a mild curry with basil, fried morning glory with mushrooms, brown rice and a spirulina-banana shake.

All of it was very fresh and tasty. The pumpkin was fried just a bit so it still had a good bite, and the mild curry was great for dipping the rice into. The spirulina shake with banana, mixed nuts and seeds was a big size, I didn't taste the nuts and seeds so much, but the banana-spirulina combination was very good. The morning glory with mushrooms was my favorite. A very rich and spicy taste, in a hearty vegetable broth.

All in all the cost of this meal was 220 baht. The size was large enough for the remainder of my night. This is now one of my favorite vegan restaurants inside Old Town, as it's a lot more quiet and spacey than more well-known restaurants here.

Opening times: 08:00 - 21:30
Open every day

Pros: morning glory with mushrooms, relaxed and peaceful vibe in Old Town, Fair prices

Quaint Secluded Very Relaxing place to Eat - Edit

Firstly, I disagree with "Marcusnyland"... The Portion size was "same-same''
As Every Thai Place I have eaten...as far as price goes, the meal was also Comparable to most other places and Considering Bohdi Tree Source as much Organic produce as possible, the price is Excellent Value for money!

My partner thouroughly enjoyed her Poridge with Fresh seeds and Nuts, my the Western style omelet was Very Tasty and Hit the Spot....if you are a Coffee drinker and like Sweet Cffee, try the Smooth Thai Style Coffee!

Pros: Open air Cafe, Friendly Owner, Organic Vegitarian & Vegan , Fresh Food, Has Accomodation

Cons: Can be a little disorganised, be patient

A sweet little place - Edit

I had a breakfast buffet here that consisted of fruit, a soy yogurt smoothie some tea, white toast and vegan pancake. On the menu it said XL but this was nothing of the sort and I left feeling hungry. I wanted a proper feast! And for 200 TBH, I felt it was a little too expensive. Nothing special food wise, but the place is really cool. A nice place to chill out, read, write, etc.

Pros: location, nice place to relax, friendly staff

Cons: small portion sizes, overpriced

Lovely Restaurant - Edit

This lovely little bamboo garden cafe is just in the old city down a side street off Rachamendoen Road. Their menu is limited but they have an impressive list of raw options. Good prices. Great food. Nice place to sit. The owner is lovely and makes everyone feel really welcome. She will really take her time to make sure your experience is pleasant.

2 Responses

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bodhi Tree Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3223 times since May 2015.