CLOSED: Bodhi Choi Heung

• Vegetarian

Contact 604-873-3848

3932 Fraser St, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, BC V5V

Offerings such as curry sang kung, gluten, Szechuan bean curd skin rolls, Buddhist style veggie stews, and various stir-frys. OCT 2015 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NO ANSWER.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by

Vegans: avoid!! - Edit

We recently went to this restaurant, to check out further veg Chinese options in Vancouver... First of all, our waitress did not speak a word of English so that was impossible to ask questions about the menu. She called the manager or owner to talk to us. She said they could make anything vegan but when I asked if their mock meats contained dairy products - which they often do, she completely dismissed me and said everything was vegan. Clearly not because the menu is egg and dairy heavy. I decided that we should keep it safe and order tofu and things that we know are actually vegan. We also ordered rice, which never came. We decided that we would not come back to this place again, because our confidence level in vegan options was low, service was not very good and frankly it was expensive and the portions not that big. To top it off, it was on the bland side. We look forward to Panz reopening soon in that same neighbourhood. This place has nothing over Panz. If you are vegan, the are much better options in Vancouver. For vegetarians this is a safe option.

Cons: Don't know what is vegan, Pricey for quality, Bland

A mixed experience - Edit

I decided to try Bodhi Choi for dinner last night. I arrived just past 8pm. There was only one couple inside and they were getting ready to go. I saw no posted hours and when I entered the lady at the front end seemed surprised. I asked "are you still open? I never got a straight answer, just a suggestion: "this is to go, right?" I can take a hint, the only thing worse than being alone for dinner out, is being the last guy in the place too. So to-go, it was.

I ordered some fried oyster mushrooms with a gluten type stir fry. The waitress said it came with mixed vegetables and broccoli. I asked if they could prepare it with Gai Lan, which is a Chinese style broccoli that I am partial too. She seemed very surprised that I knew what that was let alone asking for it.

Sometimes I think I startle people at these places, especially if it is after work like last night. I'm a fairly big guy, work clothes and steel toe boots. Due to my status with the rental car companies, I always have some high performance car sitting out front. Guess I must look like I'm lost, more often than not the first thing out of their mouth is "you, umm, know this is vegetarian, right? It has no meat." It must just be a weird sight.

Anyway, we got past those formalities and I was offered some hot tea while I waited. The food came pretty quick and I promptly took it back to my hotel room, 45km away in Surrey.

The fried mushrooms were unfortunately soaked through with oil. I put them on a napkin and in a few minutes it looked like the Exxon Valdez had parked on my desk. I *think* maybe they were shutting down for the night and had to re-heat the oil real quick. I wouldn't be surprised. Could only manage to eat a couple of them. Probably shouldn't have done that.

The dish was OK, but bland, most Buddhist places won't use onion or garlic at all, should have asked for some chili sauce. But the Gai Lan was perfect, fresh and crunchy, so they got the job done.

Leaning towards 3 stars, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that I came at the wrong time. An hour earlier probably would have been a 4 star report. I will try them again one day.

Pros: Real Chinese vegetables, Nice staff

Cons: Way too greasy, could use more spice

Worthy of Many Repeat Visits - Edit

This place is incredible. We drove up from Bellingham looking for a great vegetarian foodie experience and totally found it in Bodhi Choi Heung. The food is served in the authentic "family style" fashion typical of many traditional Chinese restaurants, which appealed to me considering that my mother is Chinese, and the staff made us feel very much at home. The menu is huge, the prices were great, and there were choices suitable for any person looking for a non meat-based culinary adventure. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to any of my vegetarian friends - and those who dabble in the realm of eating hearty yet healthy.

Pros: great taste, large menu, welcoming

Good Chinese Veggie Food - Edit

The same family had a restaurant in a really BAD part of town near Main and Hastings called Bodhi. It was great food though, and when I started eating vegan food, it was one of the few places to get good cheap vegan food. For $18 I'd STUFF myself with a dinner for two. It was great. I was sad when it closed, but happy when another reopened by the same family in a better neighbourhood. I always thought their vegetarian duck was really interesting (taro rolled in soymilk skin). I still go here at least a couple times per year (remember, Chinese restaurants are closed on Tuesdays). I always go at non-busy times, so haven't had any probs with service etc. Really good tasty food. Similar to other vegetarian Chinese food, but different.

Little video on it here:

Pros: Tasty, Reasonable Prices, Good friendly service

Cons: Not on my regular travel routes

Tofu and mushrooms! Hurray! - Edit

This is the best restaurant I've tried in Vancouver so far. The food is delicious, and you get a good value. Four of us ate dinner for $26. There are well over a hundred things on the menu, so it's hard to choose. The atmosphere is nice, too. It's clean and the staff are friendly. Unfortunately, it got a little crowded toward the end of my meal when two large noisy families came in for dinner. It's kind of got an open layout rather than partitions like most restaurants have.

Anyhow, if you like tofu, this is the place to eat. They cook tofu very well here. Also, it's a great place to eat if you like mushrooms, they put all of the good ones in your food, like enoki and shiitake and oyster, and those black and white fungi that aren't technically mushrooms at all but they're still tasty.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Great value

Cons: Noisy

Great variety, excellent taste and inexpensive - Edit

We go to Bodhi Choi weekly and have never been disappointed. We end out comparing other Vegetarian restaurants to Bodhi Choi and the variety, taste and prices surpass any other place we try. The set menus are an excellent way to try numerous different dishes and figure out which you like best. The Spencers.

Pros: great menu, affordable, nice staff

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bodhi Choi Heung closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4894 times since Aug 2007.