Boca Fiesta

Contact 352-336-8226

232 SE 1st St, Gainesville, Florida, USA, 32601

Serves meat, vegan options available. Located in the Sun Center, this Tex-Mex food offers veg choices for burritos and tacos, such as tempeh, tofu, textured vegetable protein, and vegan queso.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by aadams1217

Vegan Tex-Mex - Edit

The stir-fry filling is the only vegan option on the menu but as mentioned you can sub out vegan queso for cheese with the TVP & tempeh tacos giving you a few more selections. My favorite is the salad with tempeh. The succotash is a great side - a mix of beans, corn tomatoes and a zesty dressing. I would skip the kale salad as it was just kale with a light dressing (was hoping for more toppings - shredded carrots, tomatoes, cakes, etc.). I love the food but service can be slow at rushed times. Drinks are also good and usually pretty strong!

Pros: Vegan Tex-Mex, Good margaritas

Cons: Slow service during busy times

Hearty and Delicious! - Edit

Editing to update that my review is rather outdated now 3 years later. Last I was there, they no longer offered the vegan queso. I'd say they're still a pretty good vegan option, especially if you're craving Mexican, but it's not the same as it used to be.

They have 4 veg filling options, and they're easily converted to vegan by eliminating the cheese or subbing it for the vegan queso. And there was no upcharge for the substitution! They also had a raw taco, that I hadn't noticed on their online menu, that contained vegan cashew cheese. Fyi, the veggies in the "Stir Fry" option were cabbage, onions, and carrots.

I tried the TVP burrito and the Tempeh burrito and subbed the vegan queso for the cheese in both. Also got the beans and rice. Both of the burritos I tried (the TVP and Tempeh) were super, super delicious!

TVP-Ground beef style
The TVP was seasoned just like what I imagine spicy taco meat to be like (it made me think of a chili-cheese burrito). It was filled with lettuce, tomato, onion, whole black beans, and rice (and a TON of the TVP--it was overflowing). I think I will be dreaming about that TVP until I go back there. I love places that offer hearty, flavorful options.

Tempeh--w/acovado
The Tempeh had great flavor. The texture of the tempeh wasn't overly apparent, but it did add a great flavor (and the flavor was distinctly different from the TVP), but the tempeh wasn't overflowing like the TVP was. The avocado isn't incredibly prevalent either; everything kind of melds together inside. So if you're dying for some guac, I'd suggest ordering an appetizer of it. I was told that the Tempeh is not spicy on its own (but it was quite spicy because of the queso). It, too, was filled with lettuce, tomato, onion, whole black beans, and rice.

The black beans and rice (side) were very good as well. They had your usual south-of-the-border type flavors (cilantro, etc.), but the preparation was unique, because the beans were whole black beans, and the rice wasn't Spanish rice. They were very tasty. They appear to be the same whole beans and rice that are in the entrees. I really enjoyed the chips and salsa, too. The chips were super thin, crunchy, and not too salty. The salsa was slightly fruity.

The potions were quite filling. The two of us got 2 burritos and 2 sides and were completely stuffed (with leftovers).

The service was great, too! They are very veg friendly!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 14, 2012

Pros: vegan-friendly, hearty, quality

vegan friendly! - Edit

I went with some friends from Gainesville and was so delighted. I had a vegan tempeh empanada and a friend and I split the vegan mac n' cheese. The empanada was really tasty and filling on its own. The mac n'cheese was actually two giant mac n cheese balls. It was more creamy than cheesy. Would definitely recommend though!

Went downhill - Edit

This place used to be wonderful, but our last 3 visits have gotten progressively worse. The service is terrible. The rudeness and apathy fell over our table like a wet blanket on our last visit. The food was passable, but one dish out of six was returned, and there were a few mistakes with the other orders. The drinks we ordered from the bar were also disappointing, which was a change - that used to be one of the main attractions. Seems like a case of poor management or maybe new management(?)...whatever the case. I'm done, three strikes, you're out!

Cons: rude staff, hit or miss on the food, terrible bartender

Yummy food, definitely returning! - Edit

We went on a Sunday early afternoon, vegan items marked on menu and servers knew what was vegan and offered suggestions. We got the vegan breakfast burrito and the most amazing appetizer ever, the fried vegan mac n cheese!!!!! Loved that.

Burritos were packed and filling but a bit too spicy for me but really good. Others in my group thought spice level ok. The mac n cheese though was amazing and I will be going back just for that. You have to order it.

Pros: Vegan items on menu, Servers knew vegan options, Good food

Cons: A bit too spicy

My favorite vegan taco! - Edit

We stopped by Boca Fiesta around lunch time on a Sunday. The place was pretty much deserted so I was a little nervous at first. BUT it was amazing! I got the TVP tacos with a side of rice and beans and watermelon and I think they were the best vegan tacos I've ever had! Just the right amount of spice! I loved that watermelon was a choice for a side. We got some cocktails too that were delightful. The service was great and everyone was very nice. We were on our way home from a vacation at the beach and it couldn't have been a better stop. There were fliers for all kinds of events, movies nights, trivia, etc, which made me wish we lived close by! We were traveling with a meat eating couple and they loved their food as well. It was a little strange to see good vegan options on the same menu with exotic meat choices but I always appreciate a restaurant that doesn't just have a few options for vegans, but caters to them!

Pros: delicious, good price, nice staff

Cons: served meat

Casual, Fun Restaurant and Bar - Edit

I've been eating here ever since it opened a few years ago. The vegan options are great and the vegan queso they make is really quite good. I love their hot sauces, the guacamole and the fresh veggie tacos. They have a vegan breakfast burrito on the weekends too. This is a great place to go for the night - have dinner on the porch under the string lights and then stay for drinks, music, ping pong or pool on the back porch. Service is friendly but can be slow so relax, order a beer and settle in for the long haul here.

Pros: good vegan options, great atmosphere, good prices

Cons: can be slow

De-lish-us - Edit

I'd heard of this place before and knew it had an indie reputation and offered some vegan plates.

Let me just say that I'm so so glad that I went even though I didn't know much about the restaurant beforehand.

The ambience is casual and everyone is chatting and having a good ol' time. The service is relaxed but good. I would say that if you go here, don't expect speedy, push-button service like any other chain restaurant. The servers all help each other out and give you plenty of time to take in the ambience, talk to your friends and enjoy the amazing food.

I ordered a tempeh burrito with veggies, avocado and vegan cheese. I was so pleased to see vegan cheese offered on the menu. Everything tasted wonderful. I will definitely be going back.

Pros: tasty, fun, relaxed

Return to Gainesville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Boca Fiesta closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2702 times since Sep 2010.