CLOSED: Bobencek

• Vegan

Contact 031203283

Trubarjeva 34, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 1000

Small place offering a few daily meals like pasta, falafel, seitan tortilla, veggie kebab. Has salad and smoothies. Located close to the tourist area. Previously named Piknik but not to be confused/not affiliated. FEB 2016 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Vegan, Western, Take-out, Slovenian

First Review by Maruda

Pretty bad - Edit

They didn't have most things on the menu - including coffee, half the smoothies, a lot of the food. Theres only one table in the place, playing really terrible music (I guess that's subjective). Food was in generous portions and pretty cheap but it was also very tasteless. Worst smoothie I've ever had, in fact the only really bad smoothie I've ever had, it was ridiculously watered down. If I lived in the city and I needed something really quickly on a lunchbreak from work or something I may consider this place - but I would never choose it, and I certainly won't go back next time I visit the city.

Slow, Disappointing, Distinterested - Edit

We were so disappointed with this restaurant. From the beginning, the girl working there showed very little interest in us, ignoring us for the first five minutes inside the restaurant, though we were the only people there.

We placed our orders for four people and she didn't write anything down and said she didn't know how long it would take. She was very spacey and not conversational at all. We asked her several questions and she didn't know how to answer any of them.

Our smoothies were chunky and the flavors were off. We ordered two Asian noodle dishes, a falafel, and a seitan wrap. The falafel was the best of the bunch. The Asian noodles used regular Italian pasta, had a few vegetables scattered on top, and zero flavor.

We would not recommend this restaurant if you're visiting Ljubljana and looking for quick, delicious, vegan food. There are other options.

Cons: Service, Food, Ambiance

Really disapointed - Edit

Went here on our last day as the perfect finish on our stay in ljubljana. We were really excited (based on the reviews here and other sites) but sadly we left disapointed. We had three different meals: Pasta bolognese with overcooked penne, Tofusallad, hardly with any tofu, containing dry vegetables and Burek which was OK. We all were still hungry when we (after waiting 20 minutes in line to pay) left.

BUT we absolut had some sandwiches to go since we were taking a train right after which were good!

Maybe we are spoiled but I have had so much better vegan food for the same price.

Pros: Cheap (but not worth it), good sandwiches.

Cons: Bad food, the staff didn't seem to care about anyt

small but good - Edit

This super small take-away/restaurant is stated in a cute street.
The foodchoices aren't in overload, but the food is good!
Wraps, "kebab", soups, salads, sandwiches, rice, pasta, coffee and smoothies.
There's usually just a small menu available to chose from.
I wouldn't recommend taking the smoothies there, we had 2 and both weren't quite splendid. The ingredients weren't really combined in right amounts...
But the FOOD though! Amazing!!

Pros: small cute place, good food!, great price!

Cons: the smoothies aren't good, almost no place to sit, some meals sold out before you're there

I ate here every day...sometimes more than once! - Edit

Fantastic place. Gorgeous, cheap, vegan food. So, so happy –totally expected to starve here! I had vegan versions of meals that I hadn’t had for decades (Kebab, Spaghetti Carbonarra).

Its paralell to the river but on one fo the back streets.

Pros: Lovely grub, Cheap, Vegan

Cons: Not much seating - but you're , in Ljubljana. Go outside!!

Health hazard - Edit

When we arrived, the only employee was very distracted by her daughter and dog. We explained that my husband has celiac disease which means he can't eat anything containing wheat or gluten. She showed us which menu items would be safe and he ordered a risotto dish. I ordered a sandwich.

While preparing our food, the employee had to run after her dog, and after handling her dog, did not wash her hands. She also picked up her daughter and sat her daughter's behind on the food preparation counter, again not washing her hands afterward even though she went straight from that to handling my sandwich with her bare hands.

I watched her preparing my husband's risotto, first with horror as I saw her eating food and placing her fingers in her mouth (not washing her hands before returning to the frying pan), next with horror as she poured soy sauce into the frying pan! I said, "That must be gluten free soy sauce, right?" And she said, "No, it's SOY sauce, not WHEAT sauce. You said your husband is allergic to WHEAT." I asked to see the bottle and showed her where the ingredients included wheat.

We left, realizing we had dodged a bullet. I can't recommend anything about this place. It may be run by nice people, but they know nothing about hygiene and they don't understand how to cater to (life-threatening!) dietary restrictions.

Cons: Employee doesn't wash dirty hands, Employee doesn't understand gluten-free, Staff licks fingers while preparing food

Amazing! - Edit

Agree with everyone else - this place is amazing! I tried the grilled veg sandwich and it was delicious. My boyfriend had a falafel wrap and he said it was great. The woman even made the falafel fresh right in front of us! I also tried the dessert of the day (a peanut butter ball) and it was delicious. We also went back to try the burek, which I was excited about because they seem to be all over this part of Europe and as a vegan I can never partake. It was really delicious! We're already planning our second and third visits!

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap, Friendly service

Great for everyone - Edit

I loved the sandwiches! My favorite was cheese and salami. My mother also liked them a lot, she ordered one with avocado. She's not a vegetarian or a vegan. I visited Ljubljana in summer 2014 and this was definitely my favorite vegan place. I had a sandwich pretty much every day for breakfast. One day I also ate a burek and it was so good!

Updated from previous review on Monday March 30, 2015

Pros: friendly staff who speak great English, very good prices, awesome food

Cons: limited seating, no toilet

great sandwiches! - Edit

This tiny but lovely and centrally located eatery sustained me with breakfast every morning on my short visit to Slovenia. I had burek, coffee, smoothies and various sandwiches. Everything was delicious but I have to highlight the sandwiches because all of them were really great: crusty buns with grains, yummy spreads and lots of salad and fresh veggies. They also make a super snack to take away.

On top of that the staff is very friendly and makes sure you feel comfortable - and your belly happy :)

Pros: great fresh sandwiches (and cheap!), excellent location + long opening hours, very friendly staff

Nice Small Restaurant In Veg. Friendly Street - Edit

Nice restaurant in interesting and vegetarian friendly street. A lot of food options for a small place. Tasty seitan kebab. Veg burek is ok, but too much garlic. Stuff is friendly, the place is very busy, location is excellent.

Pros: Tasty seitan kebab, Friendly stuff, Busy restaurant

Cons: Needs a kitchen smell eliminator

Best vegan place in Ljubljana - Edit

I stumbled across this gem on the way to the main square and as soon as I walked in, I knew I found my eatery for the next 3 days. Over that time I had the tofu sandwich, curry soup, falafel wrap, bolognese, a smoothie, and an avocado sandwich.
Nothing disappointed, the service was fast and friendly, the prices were cheap and they always looking to make you feel more comfortable. There's only 1 table but in 3 sit down visits it was never an issue. I'd eat there every week if I lived in Ljubljana.

Pros: delicious food, prices, location

Best value - Edit

As from the first moment I stepped inside, I felt comfortable. Really nice and really cozy small venue!
I had a great risotto, a fair smoothie and a great cookie, all tasty and best-value.
The waitstaff was friendly, so was the small white dog watching the bar.
Unfortunately there is only one table inside; there are a small bar with two stools and an outdoor seating option though.
I would go there daily if I were living in Ljubljana.

Pros: very cozy!, best value, big menu

Cons: not much space

Small Place, Big Menu! - Edit

Visited on 04/10/14. We both had vegi kebabs, these contain ​​seitan, a great salad and good sauces. €3.80 each and worth every penny. Ate them in Tivoli park, really tasty :) It was difficult to decide what to eat, the menu is really big and everything sounded amazing!

Bobencek - Edit

The sandwiches are really good, there are lots of options (vegan meat, cheese, vegetable...), I also tried falafel which is very tasty and the smoothies are also very good. The price is very good.

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty food

Cons: Small place

Nice take away! - Edit

I bought a falafel wrap and a banana-strawberry-vanilla smoothie. Both was really good (I really recommend those 2) and not expensive. This little store is perfect for a take away snack. My friends bought another smoothie (vitamin, which was okay) and an avocado sand which (was okay too). The waitress was a little grumpy and unfriendly which annoyed me a bit but I would definitely come again!

Pros: price, taste

Cons: staff, not comfortable to sit in

Great good, even better price - Edit

Good selection of hot food, salads and amazing biscuits. All 100% vegan and very good price too. Location is easy to find.

Pros: Good selection, Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: No toilet, Limited seating

Delicious and very inexpensive - Edit

Very nice little restaurant, 2 min from Preseren square, offers many different dishes, everything take-out possible. My favorite vegan restaurant in Ljubljana!

Pros: cheap for students, generous portions, in city centre

Cons: only one table

Small restaurant near the center - Edit

One great thing about traveling in Ljubljana is many vegan and veg-friendly restaurants are located on Trubarjeva street near the city center. Piknik is a small vegan outlet with a wide variety of vegan sandwiches, soups, smoothies, etc. I had a hot lentil soup with a bread. It was tasty and filling. The smoothies are great as well, but I found them to be a little pricey - Euros 2.5 for a small glass. I didn't like the veganized Burek. The staff is friendly and speak English.

Pros: Diverse options of sandwiches, smoothies, Student discount, English speaking staff

Cons: Tiny restaurant, No toilet

New Veggie Restaurant in Ljubljana - Edit

Piknik is a very small veggie restaurant located right in the heart of Ljubljana. The selection is surprisingly good for such a small place and the food was delicious. There are a number of vegan options and it is open later than the few other veggie places nearby. The owner is very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Delicious, Wide selection, Open relatively late

Cons: Small quarters; very little room to sit

good food, friendly people - Edit

I found this restaurant by chance as I was on my way to another restaurant. The restaurant is small, but you can sit and eat there. I did try the vegan Kebab, very good and the next day, try the Rainbow Risotto. I was very pleased with the food. I should as well mention that the cooker is very friendly and we had long chat, very pleasant.

Pros: price, close to the city center, friendly

Return to Ljubljana Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bobencek closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5161 times since Sep 2013.