Bo De Tinh Tam Chay - Beach Blvd

Contact 714-891-4455

15352 Beach Blvd (at McFadden Ave), Westminster, California, USA, 92683

Orange County Vietnamese vegetarian food restaurant. This is its second and larger location. Features extensive food and beverage menus. Nice Asian bamboo decor.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Catering, Vietnamese, Buddhist

First Review by max123

Favorite Vietnamese Restaurant - Edit

We love this restaurant. We eat here every time we are in Long Beach area visiting family. Even our omnivore friends enjoy it. Staff has always been very helpful navigating the extensive menu.

Pros: excellent food, helpful staff, extensive menu

Cons: can be crowded on Vietnamese holidays

At the top of my list! - Edit

This veggie oasis jumped right to the top of my list of veggie joints from the first day. Yes, it's an asian restaurant, so you have to immediately dismiss any factors on service. With luck, you'll get a waiter who is nice and speaks english, but really, authenticity is usually negatively correlated with customer service and english is bonus. Just bring a friend who can speak the language if it's a huge concern.
That out of the way, the 50 cent charge for water didn't phase us. I think everywhere should, and it would hopefully remind us it's not an unlimited resource. Since the portions are huge, just see it as a price for the food.
As for the food, I couldn't order enough. It's veggie, it's delicious, it's great vietnamese food (with a few pan-asian items). The best sign is I saw monks happily eating here or getting take outs and that usually makes my day. Go with a large party and share as much as you can. The birds nests seem especially popular as they were on most of the tables that I could see. I loved the soups I've had there as I'm always on a quest to get good veggie soup,(we've tried the noodle soups, wonton soup, mixed mock seafood and meats soup), and very importantly, non-herbivores are pleasantly surprised at how much they enjoy the mock meats. Yes, there are people out there who are not fans, but the beef was complimented and mentioned as a favorite. If you prefer the tofu and not-mock type of proteins, they have them here as well. Lots of vegetables, everything was delicious and fresh. Sad to see the comment below about MSG since I usually don't care for it, but if they do indeed use it, I couldn't tell so maybe it really was just a little. I'm usually crazy thirsty if it's in there. I'm a bit surprised though, since popular-with-buddhists places usually don't add enhancers like that. Hopefully that was only in a few dishes or they decided not to continue using it?
That said, get an assortment of appetizers, main dishes and if you're up to it, some of the colorful sweets at the counter to end your meal, and again, bring others with you or just order a ton to take home. The prices were very reasonable and we all had leftovers to take home. The ambiance is great, it's always packed with folks, and omni/carnivores will be fed to the brim as well. Lucky for me, my last visit had friendly staff who got by just fine in english, so don't let the gamble stop you from what will definitely be a great and satisfying meal.

Pros: large shareable portions, delicious, huge selection

Cons: sometimes pretty packed

amazing - Edit

This place is absolutely amazing. Every dish you get is sure to please. I've had my meat eating friends try it and they have all been so pleased. It is truly a hidden gem in the middle of some strip mall in Westminster.

Pros: price, variety, quality

Cons: parking

too many drawbacks - Edit

I rarely review restaurants. However, since I feel safe when patronizing a Happy Cow restaurant and had several bad experiences in one visit, I felt inclined to tell my story. Poor service is not unusual;I became quite thirsty since my waiter left me alone for quite a long time and eventually went up to the counter and got in their face for more water. But when I felt that strange slightly paralytic sensation I get when I have ingested MSG, I decided I needed to review this restaurant and warn Happy cow people who may have very strong opinions about MSG. When I politely mentioned the MSG to the hostess, I am pleased to say that she admitted that they do use "a little" MSG. This is disappointing because these days MSG in Asian restaurants is much less common; My hope would be that with real Vietnamese in the kitchen, perhaps even experienced vegetarian/Buddhist cooks, that good flavor might be obtained without MSG use, sadly, not so here. Another unpleasantness was likely a condition difficult for the owner to remedy. My table was near the back and halfway through my meal i began to smell an unpleasant bathroom smell. Any of these things alone would have been OK but I was hoping to take a vegetrian friend here, now I will find another restaurant. Too bad. Nice try, BDTTC, but too many black marks. Try harder and challenge your cooks to get rid of the MSG. We appreciate the all vegetarian oasis.

Pros: extensive menu-easy to find grain-free , better decor than most in 'hood

Cons: disinterested service, poor ventilation-bathroom smell in DR, MSG used

Great food & ambiance!!!! - Edit

Great food and ambiance. If you don't speak Vietnamese, then they will find someone who speaks English for you. This place is authentic so expect to not only eat authentic food, but to have a Vietnamese experience! This restaurant is now my fave!

Pros: Authentic food

Cons: Charges for water

Bo De Tinh Tam Chay-Charges for Tap water! - Edit

They don't speak English very well and will charge you for a glass of tap water on top of a $30 bill($1). The waiter brought us the wrong food at one point and expected us to accept/pay for it. The food was OK. I won't return here, though; unfriendly atmosphere.I really feel this place deserves 1 cow but it won't let me do that...

Pros: ok food, pretty decor

Cons: charges for water!!, dirty/sticky floor, unfriendly, poor English.

Absolutely Fantastic! - Edit

Bo De Tinh Tam Chay, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... Delicious food at very affordable prices, the staff is ALWAYS friendly and helpful! Also the interior is very interesting - a fun place to hang out with some good friends and enjoy a wholesome vegan meal.

Pros: Curry Bread, Vermicelli dishes, Atomosphere

Cons: More booths would be nice...

really really really BAD - Edit

Pass on this place people..Never had anything so bland in my life..Over priced and the staff wasn't that friendly.

There are many other great vegan places in the area.

Pros: nice clean place

Cons: food is terrible, overpriced

We had a good experience here, This place has a gr - Edit

the staff is friendly and The environment is incredibly beautiful and the food is incredibly good!I highly recommend this place for family dinners,lunch, going with friends, etc.
The price is very reasonable, they definitely have food presentation in mind, They do a great job of creating traditional fleshy Viet dishes for the veggie denizens of the OC. Try com Phu Chuc Ca Kho To,Vege. fish stew wiht rice and Banh mi carri, French bread with vege. carri SOOOO GOOD LOVE IT!

Return to Westminster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bo De Tinh Tam Chay - Beach Blvd closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6048 times since May 2009.