Bluegrass Kitchen

Contact 304-346-2871

1600 Washington St E, Charleston, West Virginia, USA, 25311

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fresh farm-to-table comfort food with a modern edge. House-made specialties are made from ingredients naturally sourced within West Virginia and the Appalachians and include dishes such as Nagari Ricotta, Tofu 'Wings', Beer Cheese Fondue, Bluegrass Veggie Burger, Mock ‘Chicken & Dumplings’, Black Bean Chimichanga and Hoppin' Jons. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm. Brunch on Saturday & Sunday till 3pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by AquairyFairy

waitress from heaven. - Edit

We just had the nicest lunch! We both got the house made veggie burgers with tomato chutney, which were delicious, they were made of chia seeds, quinoa, carrots, and some other good stuff. We also got the tofu "wings" which were strips of breaded tofu, the breading was really flavorful and crunchy. We dipped them in the spicy ketchup.
The place is cute and rustic looking, filled with artwork, and our waitress was a freakin doll.

Great food, great beer - Edit

We ate dinner here in late May, it was a great meal after a long day of travel. The food was a big hit with our 2 small kids, they have a good selection of local beers. The server was very helpful with choosing vegetarian options. There was a band in the front room at just the right volume for listening but still being able to converse.
Unfortunately they do not have the veggie burgers at the moment, hopefully they will next time we are there!

Pros: Food is very good, Helpful stuff

Cons: none!

a gem - Edit

The Bluegrass Kitchen is a gem in an area that is not very vegetarian friendly. For us, it was like finding a river in the desert. The vegetarian / vegan menu items that they do have are really good quality, fresh food. I've probably tried most of the vegetarian options now in our travels through that area, and enjoyed everything. We don't eat the processed stuff that passes for food at Denny's, so this was a real find for us.

Pros: made from scratch, quality ingredients, knowledgeable, helpful staff

should not be on happy cow - Edit

i thought a restaurant had to be at least 50% vegetarian to be listed on this website. i understand there is little to nothing around here, but a veggie burger and a grilled cheese sandwich is offered at denny's and virtually an restaurant on the planet these days. those items should not qualify this restaurant to be listed on a vegetarian website.

Cons: not vegetarian

I'm a loyal regular here! - Edit

I love this restaurant. Really, really love it. I have tried every vegetarian item on their menu except fried green tomatoes (I don't like them), and I have liked all of it. My favorites are the amazing veggie burger and the portabello sandwich. They also regularly have vegetarian and vegan specials not listed on the set menu. I eat at Bluegrass at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times. It is consistently good, and they care about using local and organic ingredients, too.

Pros: friendly staff, consistently great food, interesting specials

Cons: noisy

great evening :) - Edit

Grabbed a late, light weekend dinner here and got the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer, unique and yummy.
I especially loved the art and things to read, I never got bored of looking around. Keep it up, Bluegrass!

A Unique Restaurant with a great veggie burger - Edit

They make their veggie burger from scratch, and the waiter said it had taken them a few months to figure out how to perfect their vegan recipe. My partner ordered it and it was quite tasty!

They prepare all their food fresh, so be prepared to wait awhile.

My biggest complaint about the menu is that it seems very heavy on the dairy. I ordered a breakfast burrito, described as "seasoned beans, scrambled organic eggs, cheese"..... When it came there were almost no beans and it was like a giant pocket of melted cheese.

But if you order the veggie burger without the cheese on top, it is an easy vegan option.

Pros: one of a kind, friendly waitstaff, a few tasty, fresh vegetarian options

Cons: very heavy on dairy, long wait for food

Return to Charleston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bluegrass Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2385 times since May 2008.