Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 503-338-7473

1493 Duane St (at 15th), Astoria, Oregon, USA, 97103

A worker owned bakery and cafe. Serves organic and seasonal breakfast and lunch including frittata, sandwiches, fair trade coffee, salads, pizza, naturally leavened bread and pastry. Limited vegan choices. Has a children's area, Wi-Fi access.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by arati

good food lots of vegan choices - Edit

We like this place, are there for lunch yesterday and breakfast today. I found it better for lunch, recommend the burrito or TLT. Breakfast was good too but the oatmeal was too expensive for whatnot was.

great! - Edit

Finally a place to get vegan food in Astoria! Many options can be made vegan. Just ask. We were so impressed, we came back for lunch today.

Pros: many vegan options, everything was good. , next door to a good brewery

Got vegan cookies, bread, and chocolate meltaways - Edit

There was some signage to indicate ingredients and which items were vegan, and someone helped us for the signs we couldn't see well. They had four kinds of vegan chocolate meltaways (plain, walnut, almond, mint) and we tried walnut which was good. They had two kinds of vegan cookies and we tried sesame which was wonderful and just right not too sweet. They had another vegan treat called a nourishing bar, like a fresh granola bar with a nice layer of chocolate on top. Yum! Also got olive and whole wheat bread. None of the other pastries appeared to be vegan (all with butter or eggs) but we had our fill with the vegan selections. Note, it gets very crowded for lunch. We arrived there at 11am and there was a line out the door when we left.

as vegetarian oasis on the coast - Edit

Good food. Causal atmosphere and prices are reasonable. The food is organic and has vegan and gluten free options. Provides Eco friendly cloth napkins. Eat here!

Pros: organic, worker owned, Eco friendly

Great cafe - Edit

This is a great cafe. The food was very good, lots of vegan options. We had soup and sandwiches. They even have yummy vegan chocolate. They have a huge selection of magazines you can browse and the building is really hip and cool. Loved it!

Pros: good food, great building, vegan chocolates

Cons: a little slow

Scorched by Dissapointment - Edit

Recently my wife daughter and I went to the coast and like most vegetarians/vegans plan out the trip to be sure there would be places to stop and eat. We stopped at the Blue Scorcher and though we found the staff to be friendly and attentive the food left much to be desired. My daughter and I both had soup which was very bland and very oily. My wife ordered one of the bowls that was nothing more than a bland very small portion of beans and rice. Although this place is exclusively vegetarian which is great the vegan options were miniscule with only one of the baked goods being vegan. This place might want to take a cue from Seat Pea Bakery in Portland that if you make the items vegan everybody can eat them and they are just if not more tasty! My advice, if you are going to the coast pack a lunch and let the sun do the scorchin.

Pros: Vegetarian, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not enough Vegan Options, Food needs big improvements

Accommodating, tasty, great service! - Edit

What a cool little place. They could stand to expand their hours, but they accommodate when you go in a little late. Food was extremely tasty and selection was great. VERY friendly service; highly recommended!

Pros: Great food., Fantastic selection., Friendly service.

happy to find vegetarian place - Edit

My husband and I located this place on your website and saw the ads in the insert from the Chinook Observer and wanted to try it. I was very pleased with the veggie burger and the green salad. My husband is not vegetarian, so he had grilled cheese, which he said was fine, but a little pricy. I will definately come back as soon as I can. Nice, easy atmosphere. The baked goods are like homemade.

Pros: healthy, good food, good location, good people

Cons: cheese sandwich pricy, too far from home

A nice cap on our day of Goonies sight seeing - Edit

The Blue Scorcher was an unexpected treat to come across in Astoria. My Sister, my brother, and I are vegans. Blue Scorcher was able to accomidate all three of us, and it was a great way to end our day trip there (visiting Goonies sites, haha!).

Wonderful! - Edit

I love this restaurant! Every time I'm in Astoria I go here, and wish it was more local (probably a good thing, I don't think I could afford it). The service is wonderful, the staff is friendly and very accommodating. Also, the chai tea there is amazing!

Delicious Veggie Burgers! - Edit

Very healthy food--you can taste the pure ingredients. I definitely love their homemade veggie burger, especially the freshly baked bun. I walked in grumpy, weary from my travels, and walked out a "happy cow!" Very nice bakery selection. I didn't have room for soup, but it seemed that all the other patrons were greatly enjoying theirs, and I was told it is their specialty. It is just a nice place to have breakfast or lunch--or just for late afternoon hanging out. The staff and patrons are very friendly. If you are traveling the Oregon coast, you absolutely must stop in Astoria and visit the Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff

vegan oasis - Edit

GREAT pizzas, salads and beer. They will make anything vegan. Just ask!! Ask for the "romesco" sauce on your pizza or go with their fantastic maranara. We loved their salad - great greens, nuts and balsamic (but they also have fresh, vegan Green Goddess dressing they make here.) Vegan desserts and muffins (more on the summer but still a few in winter.) Fort George beer from the brewpub next door on tap!

Pros: inexpensive, vegan variety, great staff

Return to Astoria Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Scorcher Bakery Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3124 times since Aug 2007.