Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille

Contact 215-942-8888

772 2nd St Pike, Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA, 18966

Small vegetarian restaurant with nice atmosphere and white tablecloths. Offers a variety of cuisines. Reservation suggested for weekend dinners to ensure a table. Mon-Sat 11:30am-3:30pm, Mon-Thu 4:30pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 4:30pm-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Sun 4:30pm-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International

First Review by elisabethdean

Limited vegan options - Edit

Their menu only has a few designated vegan menu options but says that most dishes can be made dairy free upon request. What this means is that rather than replace animal ingredients with vegan versions they just remove the item from the dish. You get to pay the same amount for less food plus the meal is not the way the chef originally intended. Yay.
I'd really like to see more designated vegan dishes here and I would definitely become a frequent customer.

Pros: some vegan dishes, large dining space, service good

Cons: limited designated vegan dishes, no vegan ingredient versions, they just omit food

Disappointing - Edit

I'll put this disclaimer in here first. One, I didn't pick this restaurant, my step mother in law did. Two, I have really not gone to fancy restaurants, so keep this in mind as you read. I am really inexperienced with fancier menus and ingredient lists. That being said, I kind of hated this restaurant and would put it as my least favorite place I have ever gone to. I couldn't make heads or tails of the menu, and both personally and as a vegan, I rather like to know what I'm eating. But every ingredient listed was some foreign thing that I had never even seen before. The service was fine, but not helpful in figuring out the menu, and the place was small, crowded, and loud as a result. The food just didn't taste good, and no one in our party of four seemed to really enjoy the meal. I couldn't even finish it, and that is a rare occurrence for me. If you are used to this kind of menu and food, I'm sure it's great, but if you are looking for recognizable ingredients, family friendly, relaxed atmosphere, and tasty, simple food, don't go here. They didn't do anything wrong, they just didn't do anything right.I want to give it one star but of course I can't.

Pros: Had vegan options... sort of

Cons: Loud, crowded, Menu was not understandable, Food was not good

I could live on luna buns. - Edit

We stopped here for lunch while on our way back to Doylestown. Hands down, this was one of our better decisions of the day. The lunch menu only had a couple things on it that were already vegan, though there were things that could be made dairy free. I tried the luna buns and the vegan sandwich and they were incredible. I am amazed that I ate the entire thing because it was so much food, but it was so good, I couldn't help it! I will definitely be going back. Also, they are moving to their new location a couple doors down and across the street in a week, so I will have to check that out! I definitely recommend the luna buns! They are SO SO SO good!

We drive from Washington, DC just to eat here - Edit

We found Blue Sage on the recommendation of our hotel while visiting Philadelphia. We were meat eaters at the time (now vegan), and wanted to try something different. OH MY LORD. The blue corn asparagus tacos are amazing. And the soups.....I don't know what they do in that tiny, tiny kitchen to create these soups, but they are the best I have ever eaten. We have actually gotten up early on Saturday, driven from DC to PA so we could eat both lunch and dinner there, gotten a hotel room for the night, eaten there again on Sunday and taken a ton of soup to go. Do not miss this place!!!

Pros: Flavorful, Friendly, Adventurous

Cons: Tiny- need a reservation

Pretty Good - Edit

While visiting in Newtown, PA, I went here with family that wanted to spoil me by going to a vegetarian restaurant. It was a great atmosphere and service. I really wish the butternut squash soup was vegan, my mom had it and it looked/smelled great! She inhaled it. My dad had the tomato, which he said was taste-y. My husband got the Blue LT and he was stoked on it, he now wants me to recreate it at home. My dad had a salad, completely finished it. My mom had the slider appetizer as an entree with shoestring fries, she really liked it. I got the asparagus tacos appetizer as an entree, it was alright. I asked for no cheese and they stuck daiya in the tacos instead, not terrible but I only like daiya in small quantities. We got the caramel toffee with chocolate buttercream and caramelized banana for dessert, it had a big gob of the buttercream, a thin brittle like triangle of toffee and half a medium banana. I'd like to go again but would order something entirely different.

Pros: most items can be vegan, service, ambiance

Cons: no cheese means daiya instead?, veganize the soups please!

Very flavorful and big portions! - Edit

Excellent! My husband and I split an appetizer and 2 entrees and had to take home leftovers. The portions were really big (and they brought out chips and bean dip at the beginning of the meal)! Dishes were very flavorful too - we had a lentil dish and their vegan shepherd's pie. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is there was quite a wait even though we had a reservation, and there could have been more totally vegan options I think for a place like this (although certain things you could request be made vegan). They have a brunch on Sunday with organic coffee so we will be going back to try that for sure!

Try the Cubano - Edit

Some of the food is great but nearly everything has something fried in it, including the salads. The Cubano entree and toffee basket are phenomenal but I always feel the greasinesss of the food. It is super loud in there. Not for a romantic evening. I feel like I am always shouting 'what' whenever we visit.

Pros: some great food, great service

Cons: too much grease, loud

So Much Flavor!! - Edit

Again I'm a falafel junky and their falafel wrap is the bomb, even the next day cold from the fridge. Haven't had a bad meal here yet!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Huge portions

Cons: Small establishment, A little on the pricey side

A must see! - Edit

I love Blue Sage! Very accomodating for a small restaurant. I wish they were bigger, I think the area could support it! Menu is awesome and I have never had any complaints. The whistlestop sammy *frid green tomato sandwich* is to die for!

Pros: Good food, great menu, You get what you pay for!

Great food! Knowledgable about gluten free. - Edit

I've been to the popular veg restaurants in Philadelphia area, but this one in Southampton is my favorite. The appetizers are what my husband & I like the most. The staff is wonderful about gluten free (they even have GF desserts). The food has a very unique flair.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 21, 2011

Pros: creative, great staff, gluten free

Cons: busy, need reservtion on weekends, close tables

Highly Recommended! - Edit

I've gone here several times now and continue to be pleased with the place. I live in the Philadelphia area - and if i had to pick one vegetarian place to go in the area - this is definitely it. All their food is so fresh and very tasty! I've tried many menu items and love trying new dishes.

Two awesome appetizers - blue corn asparagus tacos and the buddha crunchy tacos. both are great but the buddha tacos blew me away with flavor:) !! I'm also dying to try the green curry summer rolls (looks good!).

Main course - i adore the sonoma sampler. Its massive and easily shared between two people (as most all of the entrees are!). But this platter has so many delicious treats on it and the flavor rocks!

I've also tried the green curry sheperds pie - its very good but i was slightly disappointed because it wasn't quite as expected. It is actually more like a stew. Very good but i wasn't expecting a stew but a veganized sheperds pie. While it was tasty, I wasn't blown away and missed my sonoma platter ha. Im anxious to try more entrees.

Dessert - you cannot go wrong with the Hazelnut Toffee Basket!! I have this every time and can't bring myself to try another other dessert this one is so amazing!

I love that this place is a BYOB too - keeps the cost down. Speaking of cost, I feel their prices are more than fair, especially considering the huge portions.

A few things to keep in mind - its very small. If you want to go, make a reservation. I've never even attempted to walk in this place without one. Additionally - the place is not marked well. It is small and hard to see from the road, particularly in the dark. They need a larger sign i think.

Pros: Wonderful options, Very fresh food, great staff

Cons: Tiny place!, hard to spot from road

Savory vegetarian and vegan - Edit

It's my fantasy to start something like this locally so people can see that being a vegetarian is not about deprivation. Blue Sage offers savory, hearty, flavorful food that is simply wonderful cuisine. It seems to attract a diverse crowd who cannot all possibly be vegetarian. I plan on dragging all my friends here, because I cannot cook like this and wonder how they do it. I try to scope out the vegan dishes but could not resist the Wild Mushroom Risotto with goat cheese. This is not spare cooking nor is it low-fat. We were stuffed with 2 entrees and a soup.

Decor is warm and earthy and elegant, and the service is friendly and excellent and non-intrusive. Reservations are needed; we saw people coming in the whole time, and there is not much room to wait. In fact, there is not much room at all, and my one wish is that there was more space between the tables to give you a bit more privacy. Unless you are a supermodel, you will be brushing many tables on your way to the bathroom. Maybe they will expand some day.

It's funny to see people dressed in dinner jackets alongside people in hoodies. I am getting a little bossy here, but I think one's dining experience is improved by fancying up just a bit to honor the occasion.

It's amazing that Blue Sage is BYOB, which cuts your bill in half if you are a wine drinker. Entrees are about $20 each and well worth it, though you can order from the more casual section where dishes were around $12. I'd also love to get a sampling of their amazing appetizers sometime. I wish for the day when people will get a craving for vegetarian like they do for sushi or Indian.

Great Place Outside of Philly - Edit

My husband and I went here on our anniversary weekend. The portions were huge and the soup was delicious. I had the Khorma, and it was delicious! I wish we lived closed so I could have had a doggie bag! We made every attempted to have one of the amazing sounding desserts offered, but were just too full to try one. But it will give up a reason to come back the next time we are in Philly!

My only complain about the place is that it's a little small and the tables are close together so you can feel a little crowded sometimes. Also, definitely make reservations!

Delicious! - Edit

I was just there with my mom for lunch. It was a cozy place and our server was very pleasant. The food was delicious and affordable. I would recommend the Serrano!

Pros: delicious food, affordable, nice staff

Cons: place is a bit small

Love it - Edit

I used to live in the southampton area and LOVE this restaurant. I moved about 2 years ago very far away and every time I come back to visit and visit here everytime. The food is fresh, yummy and awesome. Their dressings are to die for and I could safely eat anything on the menu and be totally happy with it. Nice, cozy place to eat in as well. Best time to go is with a reservation or call ahead.

Pros: Fresh , Innovative, Interesting menu items

Cons: Have to reserve if you plan on eating in, dinner can be a little pricey, none

Amazing place... - Edit

The best vegetarian restaurant in the Philly area. I've never been dissapointed by anything I've ordered off of their unique menu. Many items are, or can be made dairy free. Lunch and dinner menus are similar, although lunch is much cheaper. A great place to go for city quality food without the drive into Philly. As other reviewers have mentioned, reservations are highly recommended for dinner. Definitely a safe bet to take your non-veggie friends.

Pros: Great food, Non-veggies will love it, Great food

Cons: Can be very crowded/loud, Tiny parking lot

My Non-Veg, Skeptical Parents Loved The Blue Sage - Edit

This is probably my favorite restaurant ever. Not only are the dishes diverse and creative, they're indisputably delicious. Service is friendly, the owner shows visible delight when you compliment his food and staff. BYOB. Make sure to make reservations. Space is limited and they're always busy.

Pros: Delicious food, friendly staff, artistically presented

Love it! - Edit

The food is delicious and the prices are reasonable. Soups are fantastic and sandwiches and salads are large. BYOB saves some $ as well. Staff is courteous. Make dinner reservations well in advance. My first visit wasn't as good as my subsequent due to short staff and cold dining room, but every visit since has been great.

Pros: awesome soups, tasty food, good value

Cons: dining room small

A favorite place - Edit

How fortunate we are in Bucks Co, PA to have this delectable restaurant in our neighborhood. One can share just the falafel with one other diner, and it is enough food. The potato and corn chowder is so good, that it's become a recipe I make myself at home. However, to order the soup plus an entree is WAY too much food. It's best to go when they first open for dinner, as the place is very small, and fills up quickly. Reservations are a must. I also adore the salads as an entree. Tasty sun-dried tomatoes and interesting polenta croutons. I brag about this restaurant all the time. Always nice staff, knowledgeable about the food, very earthy type people working there.

Pros: tasty food, falafel sandwich, quaint atmosphere

Cons: very small space, only one location

Vegan "super-friendly"..... - Edit

From - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/food/20080717_Memorable_Vegan_Meals.html

........ vegan choices like sweet, chewy, crunchy Green Curry BBQ Summer Rolls and the Cubano Supper, which features plantain pastries stuffed with sunflower seed and red pepper pesto,......

Good, but Expensive - Edit

I recently visited this restaurant on a family vacation to Sesame Place. The menu was very unusual but the food itself was excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty the food was. I especially enjoyed the quesadillas (sp?) with soy chesse instead of dairy cheese. The only drawback was that it was a little expensive, although it did have nice size portions.

Healthy, tasty and good for you - Edit

The food and wait staff are so good. My taste buds have never tasted such interesting ways of preparing vegetables. Delicious and good for you. I wish I could eat my lunch and dinner there every day, not just once a week.

Pros: Tasty ways of fixing vegetables, healthy cuisine, excellent food

Cons: noisy when a lot of people are there

Highly recommended! - Edit

This seems to be one of the few REAL restaurants in the area that caters to vegetarians FIRST. I follow a vegan diet, and it is always a nice change to go into a restaurant and not have to scour the menu to find one or two suitable things to eat (and also not to feel like a freak for asking them to leave off cheese, sour cream, etc.)! The atmosphere is great and the there is a wide selection of vegetarian dishes that can be made vegan. Reservations are often needed. Bring your own wine. It is also nice, because it is a true restaurant--not just a small cafe/juice bar/deli. It is a place to bring out of town guests and they won't feel at all deprived at being "forced" to go to a vegetarian restaurant. (Also see "Natural Village" Chinese Restaurant listing)

Pros: Caters to Vegetarians!, Lots of choices!, nice, sit down atmosphere

Cons: reservations often required, can be crowded

Return to Southampton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4827 times since Aug 2007.