CLOSED: Blue Planet Natural Grill

Contact 402-218-4555

6307 Center St., Suite 101, Omaha, Nebraska, USA, 68106

Serves meat, vegan options available. Promoting a healthier dining option. Many vegetarian and gluten free options, marked on the menu. Has vegan cheese. Prices cheap to moderate. Previously located in a different location on Center St. Mar 2014 this location reported shut down/closed.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by alden

Keep driving - Edit

While traveling across the country we stopped in Omaha hoping for a somewhat decent vegan meal before continuing our trek to South Dakota. I will admit, my partner and i are total vegan snobs and generally have pretty high standards...but we lowered our expectations for vegan food in the midwest because, well, its the midwest. Based on happy cow reviews I thought blue planet deserved a chance...but people of happy cow! You have disappointed me! I mean for real this place is the saddest excuse for vegan food I have ever encountered. I don't know, maybe this is just what food tastes like in nebraska..and if that's the case, I feel so sorry for those who live here. First of all, the food came out in five minutes which is automatically a red flag. We ordered a caprese pizza with vegan mozzarella....there were a couple thin strips of greenery that I'm assuming was the "fresh basil" ...the cheese was sparse and looked like cubes of tofu, both were completely tasteless. Essentially it was a crunchy flatbread with marinera sauce. We also ordered the Asian wrap with grilled tofu. It too was flavorless. They forgot the teriyaki sauce and the menu said something about wasabi but neither of us detected any. The gluten free wrap felt like rubber, and the tofu had the texture of soggy styrofoam...seriously. It was not seasoned, much less grilled. The highlight of the meal was the curry seasoned fries and the spicy cilantro lime ketchup. Its a bad sign if the ketchup bar is the reason you frequent an eatery. If you're traveling through nebraska, pack some quinoa and just keep driving.

Pros: Seasoned fries

Cons: Overpriced , Poor quality, Lacking flavor

Great fresh ingredients and wonderful concept - Edit

I like this place. My meat-eating boyfriend loves the burgers and I am happy that they offer so many sides as options for kids. The kids tried edamame for the first time there and thought it was delicious. I've been there two or three times and have tried the different veggie burger patties which, although good, have left me underwhelmed. They are dry and do not have much flavor. I wish they would revisit them because this restaurant is very popular and I love everything about it. I will plan on ordering something else to see how I feel about it.

Pros: They source local food, They recycle everything, Side options are plentiful

Cons: Veggie burgers are not very flavorful

Good choice for vegetarians AND meat eaters - Edit

I have heard really good things about Blue Planet, so my husband and I decided to give it a try last night. Overall, I was impressed. They have a nice selection of burgers, sandwiches, wraps, bowls, and salads for vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters. I was able to view their menu online, and also find the nutrition information, so I could make an informed choice once I got there. They also have several different flavors of organic ketchup, which is a definite plus since I am a ketchup lover. Restaurant was clean and inviting and even has a patio area for dining. There is also a park and shopping nearby, so after dinner, it's easy to continue a date night right in the area. The only complaint I have is that they had run out of wheat buns, so I had to settle for white since the gluten free buns are an added cost. We had an overall good experience and will definitely make it one of our regular stops.

Pros: Clean, Friendly staff, Quick service and good value

Cons: No wheat buns on the day we visited

Fresh, Unique, and Good! - Edit

I got the asian wrap and it was awesome -chock full of a plethora of fresh veggies, the wasabe mustard was excellent but I am very grateful for the cashier suggesting that I get it on the side because it has some kick! The place looks brand new inside (and it may very well be). Service was quick and friendly and the food was well priced.

Pros: fresh, good value, good portions

Return to Omaha Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Blue Planet Natural Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1998 times since Jul 2010.