CLOSED: Blue Nile Ethiopian

• Veg-friendly

Contact 480-377-1113

933 E University Dr, Ste 112 (at N Scottsdale Rd), Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85281

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a large vegan menu and an organic, raw menu every Sunday and Monday. Casual, Large Groups Ok, Non-smoking. WiFi. Aug 2012 SHUT DOWN.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Juice bar, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by PH0ENIX

Great place - Edit

I don't think I've been there since March of 2011, but I've there multiple times by myself as well as with non-veg coworkers and we all loved it. Great vegan food that leaves you feeling good.

Pros: awesome food, friendly waitstaff

I've been going here for years - Edit

I love Blue Nile! Vegan items are very clearly labeled. There is another Ethiopian restaurant down the road, but it is more expensive and vegan items are not marked.

They offer raw food Monday and Sunday (and sometimes other days) and it's hit or miss. I prefer to share a big vegan plate ("combo") with someone and order raw cheesecake, if available, for dessert. I really don't recommend the raw cinnamon rolls (unless you like overpaying for the equivalent of chopped up Lara bars with a dabble of chocolate sauce).

Pros: Vegan labeling, Delicious stews, Traditional style seating available

Cons: Staff are often a bit spacey, Their great coffeecake's no longer vegan, Best raw desserts not always offered

Not so fresh - Edit

I was disappointed with Blue Nile. [edit by staff] Most of the food tasted like it had been cooked yesterday or was made with canned vegetables. Their salads are good, but the entrees were a waste of my money and I definitely won't be going back.

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: Not fresh, Canned food

Great Vegan Cheesecake - Edit

After having my main course at Tsom, which is one door away, I came over to this restaurant for dessert. Their cheesecake is excellent.

Between these two restaurants, vegans can have a full meal, from start to finish, that is most satisfying.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly, Informal

I was impressed - Edit

We went here for Thanksgiving. I had had Ethiopian food years ago and I wasn't impressed with it, NOT at this place!!! So, naturally I was leary of having it again. We each picked a dishes and shared. The food was amazing!! All of it was very flavorful, tasty, and amazing! It was reasonably priced and the waiter was very helpful to us. I read previous reviews and was a little hesitant to come here but I saw NO cockroaches, the place was very clean! So, don't let the other reviews scare you. Come to the Blue Nile! You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, tasty!

Have the least oily injera bread I've ever had! - Edit

I have eaten at a fair number of Ethiopian restaurants and I almost always feel bloated after eating injera bread. Not so at Blue Nile - their food is flavorful and they have a good number of vegan options. Love the vegan coffee cake (I prefer the strawberry over the orange) although it doesn't really taste like coffee cake.

Very friendly folks as well!

First time here - Edit

This was the first time we had ethiopian food and was very glad we tried it. We had the veggie sampler dish and everything was very tasty. Our waiter was very helpful with what to get..very cute and friendly

Pros: great food, great service

yummy - Edit

My roommate took me after we went to ASU for a conference. Yummy! We had the plate of five vegan dishes with a salad in the middle. I see why my roommate is addicted to this place and goes there every time she goes home. They have a vegan coffee cake too.

Pros: inexpensive, good food, traditional seating

Cons: serves Pepsi (instead of natural soda), not all vegan

love blue nile - Edit

i've gone many times. the staff is always friendly & patient. the food.... is always... SOOO GOOD! love this place. when ordering the vegan combo plate (for 2 or more) make sure you get the lentils, they're delicious, the eggplant is great too!! and get that beet salad,potato salad,&tomato salad trio they put in the middle for like $1.75 more.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, coffee

My first Ethiopian dining experience - Edit

I enjoyed my first Ethiopian meal here. They offer traditional (table/chair) as well as authentic seating options. I liked the vegetarian choices, and loved the injera. The ambiance feels halfway between Cafe Lalibela (restaurant style) and Tina's Ethiopian (casual family dining).

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Open late

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Blue Nile Ethiopian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 466 times since Aug 2007.