First Review by Stevie

Favourite place 💚 - Edit

Friendly and relaxed atmosphere with new mains everyday

Pros: Lots of vegan options Pile your plate with food

Cons: Drinks are expensive

Yummy, healthy, interesting food - Edit

Love this place! The food is delicious, healthy and varied. The menu changes every time and you get a lot of different things on your plate. About half the things are vegan, including some nice cakes - had a chocolate and coffee torte last time which was very rich! I also tend to go for the vegan hot choc and there's even ice cream if you fancy.

I do wish it was open a bit longer, as I tend to go there from Leeds to meet my Sheffield friends after work, which means I only get there for 7!

I don't mind the cafeteria look at all. Has a very rustic community vibe which suits me just fine ^_^

Blue Moon - Edit

Healthy food but could do with changing the menu, been pretty much the same for 15 years, was much better at its previous venue.

Pros: Healthy, Quite cheap

Cons: Same menu for donkeys years, Too many chakra realignment therapist adverts

A good fallback option - Edit

Friendly staff and affordable food options. It's sometimes not overly exciting, but solid quality. One dessert cake I had was great. The place itself is beautiful, with the high ceilings.

Pros: Friendly, Nice location

Unremarkable but convenient location - Edit

Not a huge fan of the food choices, the vegan desserts are ok, coffee is drinkable but unremarkable, the atmosphere does give off a bit of a cafeteria vibe. If I can I like to sit in the small room upstairs away from the crowd. It is really close to where I live and easy to get to, and is open until 8, so despite all I've said I do pop in every so often.

Pros: Convenient location, Open till late

Cons: Cafeteria vibe, Pricy for what it is

Good old Blue Moon - Edit

I moved to Sheffield in 1998 and I've been eating regularly at Blue Moon ever since. I never get bored of their amazing food and relaxed atmosphere. As a veggie I always had the homity pie, but since making the move the veganism a few years ago I found myself trying lots of new dishes and being far more healthy and adventurous than previously! Everything is delicious!

Pros: Vegan dishes, Friendly helpful staff, Large portions

Overpriced, overrated - Edit

The Blue Moon has long been Sheffield's only veggie and vegan eatery in the city centre and some people seem to love it. Maybe it thrives on past glories or maybe it's because there isn't really much else, however I would suggest going across town to VDeli or even get on a train and go to Leeds or Manchester than eat here.
The staff barely grunt at you and clearly have no interest in being there. I guess they are mainly students, but you might be mistaken for thinking they are on community service. The food is all pre-prepared and kept under hotlamps or in the fridge and microwaved if you want it warming up. Same old salad day in, day out and nothing is made fresh to order. This might be acceptable if the price reflected it, however a slice of microwaved quiche and salad for 8 quid is a joke. As vegan options are becoming more commonplace in cafes, pubs and chain restaurants the Blue Moon really needs to up its game.

Pros: Vegan food, Good location, Nice building

Cons: Expensive, Unfriendly, Not that good

Overpriced, boring vegan options - Edit

I recently paid £5.99 for a really shallow bowl of soup and some stale bread here.

I don't like leaving bad reviews, but the vegan food here is why my meat-eating friends and family raise their eye-brows and ask, 'don't you just miss cheese burgers though?' Always the same over-stewed trays of veg...

Fabulous - Edit

No idea what everyone is talking about with the staff - they are so friendly and nice and work really hard in an often busy environment. I've heard them being spoken to quite rudely for no reason by some customers before so maybe that's what other people have commented on!

Pros: Food , Staff

came for morning tea, came back for lunch! - Edit

Lovely little place with plenty of seating. Really nice vegetarian and vegan food, menu seems to change regularly. Also a nice selection of vegan and vegetarian desserts, unfortunately no vegan and gluten free slices or cakes. Good vegan ice cream though! Lovely staff to boot =)

Vegans subsidise veggies here - Edit

There are usually only 2 main meals suitable for vegans (it's been the same since it opened) and the vegan dishes never have any tofu or tempeh or vegan cheese etc - whereas the veggie meals all have cheese - and yet they are the same price. So if you eat vegan you are subsidising the cost of cheese in the veggie meals. The food is good, if unadventurous.

Pros: always has vegan options, nice food, nice building

Cons: could be more vegan dishes, not much variation of meals, as noted staff can be grumpy

tash 31 Jan 2015 - If you think that you are 'subsidising' as a vegan then surely you won't want to go to any supermarket or shop that sells cheese, any restaurant, or even a health food shop that sells non vegan products. Very odd! I assume the prices are the same to keep things simple. At least you're not giving money to a restaurant serving meat.

Getting better - Edit

There are now much friendlier staff in the café than there used to be. It's just the odd one or two who are too superior to crack a smile; the rest are grand and they certainly work really hard, and besides you can come across the odd grump wherever you go.

The food remains the best in Sheffield in terms of choice. The fact that the place fills up every day illustrates how good it is and that the prices are within most folks' budget as well.

While eating you can have a laugh at the massively overpriced art on the walls and the number of adverts for reiki therapists, tarot readers and other assorted charlatans. It's a shame that the atmosphere is so middle class but, again, that does seem to be the norm for vegan/vegetarian places wherever you go. More importantly, the food is great.
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 09, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 09, 2014

Pros: great food, best choice for vegans in Sheffield, smashing building

Cons: still just a wee bit up itself

Good range of vegan options, flavourful food - Edit

Lovely building, lots of seating. Good range of choice for us vegans. All the salads were vegan, a couple of pies and a couple of hot dishes. We had one Caribbean pattie with salad, one roast butternut squash with chick peas, red pepper and tomato stew with salad, chocolate cake and a peanut butter blondie and a fruit smoothie. Everything was very fresh and tasty.
Having read the other reviews we were expecting the legendary grumpy service so were almost disappointed to be served really nicely and politely!

Pros: vegan options, cakes, near city centre

Cons: not totally vegan

Not a bad place - Edit

The Blue Moon is not a bad place for a vegetarian to eat lunch. The management are not overly friendly it is true but you can see them in there working very hard.

The building is lovely. This is great old fashioned vegetarian food. I used to eat in Blue Moon quite a lot before the moved premisses over 15 year ago probably. The problem is that their choice of dishes is almost always the same. There are only so many times that I can eat the same 5 salad selection with a pice of pie.

I would strongly recommend this for a first timer but I just got bored with it after a while and there are very few vegetarian options in Sheffield.

If like me, you like imaginative modern gourmet vegan food, this is not the place for you. That will require you to get on the train for a 2 hour journey to London.

Pros: Good old fashioned veggie food, Only half decent veggie place in town., Great building.

Cons: Menu doesn't change much., The food is a bit dull.

Overpriced tiny portions from unfriendly staff. - Edit

We had be every much looking forward to visiting Blue Moon, but the staff were unfriendly, the potions we were given were tiny, on tiny plates, and very overpriced. The building is bright with a nice atmosphere, in a great location and dishes themselves were very good and nicely flavoured, we just would have appreciated triple the amount we were given. We were in Sheffield for an industrial music festival, and perhaps the staff did not like the way we looked and decided to be rude and serve us badly for this reason, but after looking through other reviews I fear this may just be the norm there.

Pros: Yummy dishes, Vegan choices, Lovely location

Cons: Teeny tiny portions, Overpriced , Unfriendly

itsmeagain 22 Jul 2013 - Yes, it is very frequent, this type of lip curled, irritable, conduct. Try heeley farm cafe instead.....

Great vegan cafe, shame the staff aren't more frie - Edit

I have eaten at this cafe for years and adore their food...The meals are very nutricious, filling, and divine, the cakes defy any ajectives I could throw at them, and the atmosphere is lovely...And to visit on a cold, grey winters day is a joy. But time and again I find myself confronted with staff who wont share a amile, refuse to take part in banter, and are just plain miserable...Is this part of the job description? I appreciate that they may get the occasional rude customer, have a very busy day etc but this is a job that requires friendliness and smiley service, after all eating out for most of us is a treat not a chore.
There is a cafe in Glastonbury called 'Rainbows End', I suggest the staff of 'Blue Moon' go there for a spot of training in cheerful service and friendly banter...I love you Blue Moon but I don't like miserable service...

Pros: Excellent value for money., Divine food., Lovely surroundings.

Cons: Staff can be very miserable., No banter with staff.

Something for everyone - Edit

Central location and good food, which is why this has become one of my regular haunts. Main meals can seem a bit pricey, but they're filling, and you'll be lucky if you have room for pudding.

There are usually 3-4 hot dishes every day, including at least one lacto-veg, one vegan and one GF. The soup is usually excellent too. I have carnivore friends who like eating here, which goes to show how tasty the food is!

The only down side is that it's sometimes difficult to get a table on weekday lunchtimes, especially in winter, as it gets very popular.

Pros: Central location, Good food

Cons: Popular - not always easy to get a table

I loved this place - Edit

I was vegetarian when I visited this place (about 4 times) and I absolutely loved it. I am vegan now so I can't comment from that perspective. But the food was amazing! Loved the old building and the atmosphere. The various salads were so delicious and we always got super large portions. Plenty of GF options too. Def. recommend this place.

Pros: delicious food, Great atmosphere, healthy

Return to Sheffield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Moon Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.