Blue Koi

Contact 816-561-5003

1803 W 39th St (at Bell), Kansas City, Missouri, USA, 64111

Serves meat, vegan options available. Northern Chinese and Taiwanese food restaurant. Some menu items are marked vegan, and most of the vegetarian options are vegan. Some bubble teas can be made vegan by requesting soymilk. Veg options including tofu with sweet and spicy sauce, veggie dumplings, scallion biscuit, lettuce wraps, eggplant and tofu pockets, sesame balls (vegan) and more. Most dishes available with tofu. Closed Sunday.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Taiwanese, Non-veg

First Review by

awesome!! - Edit

Great food and great service. Get the vegetarian soup. It's vegan and delicious! And go to the book store across the street. It is the coolest book store you will ever be in.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 07, 2015

I visit Kansas City once a year and I always go to the Blue Koi. This year I brought some non vegan friends and they absolutely loved it!

Our favorite in the city - Edit

Our favorite restaurant in the city. Great flavors, fun staff, worth any wait. So many choices to eat, we are NEVER disappointed.

Pros: GREAT food, Fun staff, Fair prices

Cons: Not all vegan

Great meals - Edit

The menu items are clearly marked vegetarian/vegan. You can also ask if you are unsure.

I got the vegan ants on a tree, and it was super!! The bubble tea is ok, not fantastic, LOTS of tapioca bubbles. I got the mango kind. The portion sizes were huge. Enough for my lunch, and then leftovers for my dinner that night.

It was rather busy, but we didn't have to wait long. It has a homey atmosphere and the workers are very nice.

I definitely enjoyed myself!

Pros: Lots of veg options, Big portions, Tasty food

Cons: Can get busy, Small space

LOVE Blue Koi - Edit

This place is mecca for vegans. All kinds of vegan-friendly food. I usually load up on starters: dumplings, crispy tofu and lettuce wraps. The Midtown restaurant is very large and welcoming, the food is amazing and the service is very friendly.

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, Excellent food

Cons: Serves meat

One of the best places I've ever eaten - Edit

This place is great. If they didn't serve meat, I'd say they were my favorite restaurant of all time.

The staff is very knowledgeable of veganism, the owners actually understand veganism (rather than guessing and getting it wrong, like I've seen other restaurants do). Several items on the menu have 'vegan' in the name, and most of the vegetarian options are vegan.

Many of the menu items come with a description of the dish and then say to choose tofu/chicken/beef.

I highly recommend the scallion biscuit, the crispy tofu with spicy awesome sauce (that's really the name) and the vegetarian lettuce wraps. But really, I've never had anything here I didn't like.

These are also the same owners as the Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ around the corner.

Pros: Clearly marked 'vegan' items, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: Long waits on weekends, Serves meat

Very Accommodating - Edit

This place had wonderful service and food. The waitress was very helpful in checking on items to make sure they were animal ingredient free. She didn't even blink when I said I was vegan. She was also very accommodating in providing substitutions for my mother's food allergies. I ordered the fried vegetarian dumplings, which were pretty good. I ordered the Tofu with Black Bean Sauce as an entree and is was absolutely delicious! Not heavy or greasy like a lot of Chinese/Asian food. The atmosphere is pretty casual and a little noisy from the kitchen.

Pros: Excellent Waitstaff, Delicious Food, Quick Service

A Real Gem - Edit

This is one of the best restaurants in town. They have plenty of vegan choices and even offer a gluten-free menu. The Fried Tofu with Awesome Sauce is beloved even by devout meat-eaters. The Eggplant Pockets, Lettuce Wraps, and Dumplings are all outstanding. Sometimes I make a meal of several appetizers. However, the Tofu with Shitake Mushrooms and the Vegan Delight are very tempting entrees. They even have vegan Sesame Balls for dessert! The service is always impeccable, and the modern decor is quite appealing. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Fantastic Food!, Great Service, Cool Ambience

Cons: A Little Pricey (but totally worth it)

Return to Kansas City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Koi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2007 times since Apr 2009.