First Review by Miggi

Good enough... - Edit

I'm not a fan of icecreams but I've tried the dark chocolate Vegan flavor with the Vegan Gluten Free cone. Good enough, but pricey.

Pros: Dark Chocolate is good, There were some other Vegan flavors

Cons: Pricey, Not many choices

Not friendly and not much option - Edit

I was excited to find this yesterday. I was looking at flavours when the lady came over I very politely said 'Ciao' and she just rudely looking at me and basically rolled her eyes as she looked away. Then to discover they only had 1 soy flavour which I read below is not vegan (lucky I didn't get it). I ended up just leaving because the lady was so rude.

Cons: No soy options, Rude staff

not vegan - Edit

WARNING: SOY GELATO IS NOT VEGAN. I asked and was told that all soy flavours contained a mix of soy milk and regular milk. However, there was a selection of fruit sorbets which were all vegan and also the dark chocolate gelato was vegan. I had a peach sorbet which was ok but nothing special. It is also no longer located at the address listed on Happy Cow.

Very good! - Edit

Visited it quite a lot because i was sure they have vegan options. They had 4 different flavors with soy milk: pistachio, hazelnut, chocolate and vanilla(as far as i remember). Hazelnut was definately THE BEST! They also had fruit gelato which did not contain animal products either. I really enjoyed my trip and this was one of the reasons why!

P.S. Blue ice gelaterie has many more shops all around Rome. There is one near Trevi fountain and St. Peter's Basilica. I also visited one just wandering somewhere in the streets of Rome so i can't exactly remember the location. Sometimes the smaller ones didn't have all of the soy flavors i mentioned but they always had at least two of them.

Pros: Lots of options, soy-free gelato

Brilliant Soya Ice Cream - Edit

I guess this is kind of a chain store in Italy, or at least Rome, as once we'd spotted one we started seeing them everywhere. Anyway for 3 euros you get a massive ice cream with 5 or 6 flavours of soya ice cream to choose from. The pistachio was brilliant, and the chocolate was one of the nicest ice creams I've ever eaten, dairy, soya or otherwise.

Pros: Lots Of Them , Choice Of Vegan Ice Creams

Cons: Possibly A Large Chain, Maybe Not So Good For The

Ok Gellateria - Edit

I was no impressed with these gellateria at all. Because it's a chain, you find the same type of gellatos at all of them and are limited to only 2 or 3 soy flavors.
Service was ok at some of them and they had some rude servers at other stores.

Now, my hesitation about Soy at these gellaterias is whether the soy milk is actually vegan or not. As all good vegans know, not all soy milk is vegan. I went to a super market in Rome and I found Soy Milk. When I read the ingredients, I noticed that they had mono and diglycerides.(I would doubt Italians would use plant base emulsifiers when animal fat is so readily available) Then, is it possible that it's only that particular soy Milk? Has anyone confirm with these gellaterias that their soy milk doesn't have those ingredients? After what I read at the market, I kept away from soy gellatos and kept eating water base stuff, Fragola sorbets were so delicious!

Pros: Availability

Cons: Rude service, Price, lack of veriety

Best vegan ice cream I've had in Europe! - Edit

We went to two places on our trip to Rome and this place had by far the best soya ice cream between the two. I had the hazelnut and chocolate and wish we could have eaten there more days. Unfrotunately,they had been closed for holiday every other time we went by. I just wish we had this place in Copenhagen!

Pros: excellent full flavors, cheap, delicious

Cons: wasn't open so often

Very creamy, very tasful soy gelato! - Edit

The texture of their soy gelato is just perfect: chocolate & hazelnut very creamy, coconut with bits of the fruit. And the flavour, among the best I tried in Rome so far!! :-))
There are several locations in Rome, so check out their website and mark your tour map. ;-)

Pros: creamy and tasteful soy gelato, several locations in Rome

Cons: not all their stores offer same variety

Vegan ice cream! - Edit

Delicious soya ice cream... Visited several Blue Ice locations over a warm October weekend, and found the hazelnut and pistachio soya ice cream to be the best flavours. Just delicious! Sorbet, especially melon, is great but wonderful for vegans to have the ice cream option so easily out on the street in Italy.

Pros: Vegan ice cream!, Multiple locations, Variety of flavours

Great Find - Edit

Great spots throughout Rome, mostly found near the tourist destinations. There is one right near Trevi Fountain, one near Piazza Navona, etc. Don't forget to ask for the soy whip cream on your gelato.

good selection, central location - Edit

This was located right by the Pantheon and offered several vegan options. We ate a lot of gelato and sorbetto in Italy, so some of it blurs together, and I don't remember which flavors I had here. I do remember that it was tasty and I would recommend stopping in while you're in Rome!

Pros: plenty of vegan options

These are all over Rome - Edit

If you are touring the sites of Rome, you are likely to be doing it walking and in the warm weather. The Blue Ice locations are very pleasant to have nearby. Great variety of good-tasting soy gelato options. The location mentioned here is RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Pantheon!

Pros: Good Options, Multiple Locations

Yummy ice-cream! - Edit

I found quite some Blue Ice ice cream parlors in the centre of Rome easily identified by their big blue-yellow signs. They do have a large variety of different flavours with a handful soy variants (choco, vanilla, nut), some of the fruit ice cream is also vegan, but I had to ask the staff since it's not posted. The cups come in different sizes, price varies from 2,50 EUR to 5 EUR - I always took the 3 EUR cup (you can choose 3 flavours with it). Often the staff would add a huuuge scoop on top of the cup so that I really got a big portion...

Pros: Vegan options, Large variety

Soy Gelati to die for!!! - Edit

Having the pleasure to eat soy italian Gelati that are tasteful, creamy and that come in a variety of flavors: hazelnut, pistaccio, vanilla, chocolate.
There are several locations in the city. The stores are rather small, but the big blue sign above the door will help you locate them. We probably visited them about 6 times while we were there. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable with ice cream ingredients and will point out the vegan options. A real treat!

Pros: Variety of flavors, Multiple locations

lots of tasty soya gelato flavours - Edit

A great find. Several branches in Rome - not all have soya gelato though. options are labelled in English. Very tasty soya gelato (have sorbets too).

I saw other Gelateria offering soya options in Rome too, just keep your eyes peeled and ask everywhere (costumer pressure)!

12 types of vegan "Ice Cream" - Edit

Visited here today and found loads of vegan options. I assume the rest were vegetarian.
The coconut soya ice cream was amazing, as was the chocolate one.
They do various size tubs from 2 euros to 5 euros, and cones from 2 euros to 6 euros.
Their website lists about 10 sites in centre of Rome and 9 in outer Rome.
Fans of Soya Cornettos may also want to look in supermarkets for "Valsoia il gelato cono" which we found in the supermarket near where we are staying - a box of 4 for about 4 euros and they are nicer than the ones we can get in the UK as the cone is fully chocolate-lined and crunchy.

Vegans don't have to miss out on Italian Ice cream!

Pros: vegan, ice cream, sorbets

Cons: only about 10 branches, Valsoia cornettos even better!

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Ice Gelaterie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3505 times since Jul 2011.