Blue Diamond

Contact +66-053-217120

Moom Muang Road, Soi 9 (at near Sriphum Moat), Chiang Mai, Thailand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Caters to visiting vegetarians, yogis, meditators, and massage therapist. Features breakfast, lunch, and salads. Makes own bread and supports 2 other nearby healthy food restaurants. Also sells fruits and products. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Non-veg

First Review by LilacHippy

Great surprise! - Edit

We didn't expect much from Blue Diamond, but it turned out to be a great place to eat for vegans. They have vegan, gluten-free muffins, organic salads and hill tribe coffee :) Also, there is a store with fresh fruit, teas and spices. Would go back, but there are better vegan organic options in the city (more thai atmosphere)

Pros: GF vegan muffins :)

Cons: Not 100% vegan/vegetarian, But international oriented

Okay, but there's better - Edit

The food is good, but not special (for vegans anyway) - Blue Diamond is mostly a favourite along meateaters that love their breakfast (omelette etc.). Definitely get their cinnamon roll if you're into sweets though. Depending on how much time you have in Chiang Mai go eat somewhere else. Nice atmosphere in the garden, however I hate the fish they have swimming there in a little pond.

Cons: expensive for what you get

great for desserts - Edit

As a vegan this place is great for desserts, everything is very clearly labelled which is great and there is a lot to choose from. Most of the desserts are lovely however a few can be quite dry.. For meals however Blue Diamond isn't anything special and is very pricey.. I visited here 5 times whilst in Chiang Mai and had rude customer service every time!

Awesome selection of vegan baked goods! - Edit

I only came for the baked goods and a vegan cappuccino, so I can't comment on the food, but the muffins, cinnamon roll, and croissants were fantastic!
Nice patio as well.

Pros: Vegan Baked Goods, Patio

only go if you want vegan pastry - Edit

They have decent vegan pastry and cakes. Espresso was alright but nothing to write home about.
What I didn't like was that they have fish in their garden. Having animals in captivity doesn't make this a vegan friendly place imho. Only come here if you crave vegan pastries during your travels.

Pros: vegan pastries , nice atmosphere in general

Cons: Fish in captivity in a cafe with vegan options??, coffee bit pricey and only average

great vegan pastry selection!!! - Edit

vegan croissant, cinnamon roll, choco brownies, coconuts cream pie, muffins, cookies, cakes, raw sweet.
Whatever you can imagine, they have it in vegan way.
Lots of gluten free selection as well!
I was looking forward to try vegan 12B donuts but they said they don't make it everyday and especially this season in May : (
Oh and do not try their soy yogurt! it tastes old and sour and not good at all.
Try their vegan tomato pasta! Very generous in volume : )
I wish they had a vegan ice cream!

great variety and delicious food! - Edit

Took me about ten minutes to decided what to eat due to the wide variety. Everything on the menu has a vegan alternative and tastes delicious! Also there is a lot of non breakfast food, and a lot of western and Thai choices. Kept on coming back here at least once a day!
Also have a great health store with a bunch of natural products.

If you're craving that Western Food..... - Edit

Blue Diamond calls itself "The Breakfast Club" and you can indeed get a lot of Western Breakfast choices which is great if you're craving muesli or a pancake (the vegan version costs the same) for once. They also have breadrolls (which they bake themselves) with hummus/ baba ganoush and antipasti.

We also tried two of the soups which were quite nice and not too expensive (around 50 Baht)

One thing that makes me keep coming back are the sweets. Unless you buy the 4 Pack Oatmeal Cookies which are like 80 Baht you can actually get vegan treats very cheap. Tried a cinnamon roll for 35 Baht, not even 1€!!

In Europe everything that is marked as vegan is prone to be overpriced even though the ingredients are often cheaper than the ones of a non vegan treat. But at Blue Diamond almost all of the bakery goods that are vegan (it's clearly marked) are delicious and cheap!

All in all if you're having a strong craving for Western Breakfast choices this is the place to go.

My bf was not that impressed, he said the soup he ordered the first time was a bit to salty and so was his (non-vegan) pancake. Also the honey had three dead ants swimming in it but what can I say.. I didn't encounter anything like that.

Pros: Good Taste, Portion sizes normal and filling, Great choices of Western Food

Cons: Pricy

Excellent!! - Edit

BLUE DIAMOND > Great!

Moom Muang Road, Soi 9 (near Sriphum Moat) Chiang Mai, Thailand

+66-053-217120

Lovely garden setting with waterfalls and koi pond. Tables inside and out but no A/C

Avocado-Cheese-egg-tofu-burger on a multigrain bun (very good) 120Baht (exchange tofu for tempeh an extra 30B)

Veggie Tempura (tasty yet a bit too much batter)

Papaya salad (delicious!! First one I have had in Thailand that I could really enjoy without being overpowered with spices which is typical of Esan style)

Home Fries with bits of onion – very flavorful! 50B

Spinach soup- excellent 65B

Shake Mint Leaves-Honey & lemon – very good 75B

Lemon Meringue Pie (Okay but too chewy and not enough lemon for my taste)

Lots of wonderful looking desserts

International - veggie burgers – Thai - some meat dishes

Mon-Sat 7:00am-8:30pm

Pros: Lovely setting, Many great choices

great cake selection! - Edit

Finally we found a cafe with vegan cakes and muffins! They have interesting ones like avocado-ginger muffin. Also they offer coconut cappuchino! One muffin was a little dry but I think that's a matter of the recipe.

The only thing that really stood out was, that nobody was smiling. They didn't respond when we said hello(sawadi krap) or thank you..

Prices are totally fine.

Pros: great cakes and desserts, interesting pancake variations

Cons: nobody smiled

Awesome Vegan Smoothies! - Edit

I hit this place up everyday for their smoothies...and their vegan desserts. While it isn't super cheap it was affordable, and they had some great vegan offerings. Probably my fav place in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Healthy Food, Great Vegan Desserts

ahh yiss, vegan baked goods heavennnnn! - Edit

Never as a vegan, have I been presented with so many delectable treat choices!!!
We never ordered from the menu, although it looked extensive and worthy of a try, we just obviously got sidetracked by the enormous selection of pick and pay vegan baked goods!!

Pros: vegan treats, oh my glob

Cons: none, this place is hella dope

Vegan sweets - Edit

Kind of busy place for breakfast. Staff was a bit cold.
We had the avocado tofu sandwich which was kind of tasteless. Didn't like the chocolate croissant, was old and dry. The chocolate cake was average.
The glutenfree banana muffin was really nice though! Big variety of baked goods. They also have an organic shop inside.

Cons: not cheap

Great options for Gluten free - Edit

I can't eat gluten, so the bakery at Blue Diamond is a rarity in Chiang Mai (and Thailand in general) with lots of vegan and / or gluten free treats like cinnamon rolls, coconut macaroons dipped in dark chocolate, plain rolls and loads of different muffins and cookies. I would stop by now and again to pick up baked goods!

Also the store stocks some less common things for when I bake gluten free at home like chia and flax seeds. They also have health stuff like ginseng, maca, spirulina etc. and organic fruit and veg.

The garden is nice and shady, and as it's tucked down a side street it's pretty quiet. I've been here a few times to eat with friends and had one of their big salads. We've found the food has always been good, as have the staff, but I guess every day is different! One thing is we often think about coming here for Sunday brunch, then realise it's closed!

Pros: Gluten free bakery, Menu caters to all, Health food store on site

I didint really like it - Edit

the staff was not really nice. they were ok. (on the tip box said they dont charge service fee, so maybe because of it??)

I ordered tempe avocado burger (90THB) which had NO FLAVOUR. it was just slices of avocado, pan fried tempe and vegan bread. a waiter also brought a bottle of mayo and mustard. so I used only mustard (which seemed like a store bought)
and I also wanted to have a vegan muffin which displayed on a table near a cashier. so I asked her I want a muffin, she said "take it by yourself." the muffin was oily too.
when you want to pay, you have to go to the cashier and tell her what you had.
I didnt really like their food and service, so I will never go back there again.

Pros: vegan option, gluten free and vegan bakes

Cons: no flavour, bad service

Mixed feelings, but basically good - Edit

I went there for breakfast twice during my stay in Chiang Mai and had two pretty different experiences.
The choice is huge and I especially loved their Tempeh-Avocado-Sandwiches and take-away sweets, such as vegan brownies, muffins and cookies. The food is good in general, but nothing exceptionally great. The banana oatmeal I had during my second visit was pretty disappointing though.
The place is usually quiet crowded with backpackers, which unfortunately can be pretty loud and stressful sometimes, even though their outside seating in the garden is beautiful! I think this is also a reason why the service seems to be a little overstrained and confused at times. They still manage to serve their food very quickly though.
They even have a little shop area where you can buy organic items, such as soap, incense and other souvenirs, which are mostly produced regionally.

Overall I think there are better breakfast places nearby, but this probably has the biggest variety.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 14, 2015

Pros: beautiful outdoor seating, good food, take-away sweets + other organic goods

Cons: confused service, highly frequented

So much choice! - Edit

As well as salads, soups, tofu burgers, tempeh burgers, avocado burgers and Thai food, there are vegan baked goods for sale, such as blueberry muffins, brownies and more. I tried a few things, delicious. The restaurant is very nice, especially if you sit outside.

Pros: Vegan bakery. , Vegan beauty products.

Cons: Menu contains meat, dairy and eggs.

unfriendly staff and overpriced food... - Edit

We had been here several times for breackfast and for buying some stuff and cake from the store. The owner is unfriendly, the cake sometimes some days old, the prices are expensive. The breakfast was all the time good, but not expensive and not the best quality.
dogs are here not allowed.

Pros: have vegan a large selection of vegan food, some nice things in the store, nice garden

Cons: unfriendly and expensive, quality of the food is not the best, serve meat

Good place, sometimes. - Edit

I have been here 6-7 times in the last month and I have noticed the quality varies quite a lot. I absolutely fell in love the first couple of times - the healthy and vegetarian (not completely though) profile, the huge menu, the food, the bakery, the shop, the garden... It's hard not to. But the quality of food does differ a lot from time to time. I've had amazing salads but also dull and unappetising curries. I've had yummy bakes but have also been served dry and old cakes.
Come on Blue Diamond - step up your game! It is a good place but there is so much more potential in it, if only it was care of better. But as I said, in many ways it's great and I would say it's worth a visit.

Pros: Generally good food and a wide variety, Good Location, The shop

Cons: Uneven quality, Unengaged staff, Not completely veg

So and so - Edit

The place looks nice with a lush garden and fish pond. They serve vegan pancakes which were delicious and good size. Lots of different vegan options on the menu. Staff varied from dull to grumpy.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 26, 2014

Pros: Good food, Lovely garden

Cons: unfriendly service

Simply perfect! - Edit

Great and delicious food, extensive menu, not very expensive, in a relaxed and beautiful atmosphere in opposite to the bustle of the city. It was the first time during our entire trip that I could eat without worrying about the oyster or fish sauces ... And the vegan bakery options are an exception in all the country! What a pity that is not fully vegetarian restaurant...

Pros: High fresh-food quality, Value for money

Great food/bakery - Edit

Oh my gosh, the vegan baked goods are AMAZING. I would totally get my fix here. The food was also great! The Indian curry noodle is probably the best noodle dish I've had. Ambience is nice, I really enjoy the store inside. The staff is totally overworked but it's the owners who are working... Sometimes they really let their tiredness show so be aware that they are tired/a little crabby. The location is great, a little tricky but in a great neighborhood

Pros: Delicious , Lots of choices , Location

Cons: Grumpy staff

Very Tasty Vegan Desserts! - Edit

I love eating at Blue Diamond, for non other then their amazing selection of delicious vegan desserts. From cookies, to muffins, to chocolate cake, coconut pie and soy based icecream. The meal menu also offers a large selection of vegan and heaps of vegetarian options (with meat dishes available). Dessert prices start from 35 baht and main meals from 70 baht. They also stock a selection of goodies for purchase including fruits/vege, breads, spreads and other natural products such as oils and repellants.

Pros: Large Selection Of Vegan Desserts, Garden Setting

Cons: They Offer Meat Dishes

An oldie but a goodie - Edit

Blue diamond was one of the first vegetarian places I dined at a couple yrs back. It's a great place to bring your non vegetarian friends too so both parties can have something to eat.

My only issue with this place is that the food quality is inconsistent. Sometimes it's cooked very well and at other times its crap. The staff is also very unfriendly.

Pros: Fun social place, Lovely garden

Cons: Staff sucks, Inconsistent food quality

To be fair - Edit

So I ate at Blue Diamond almost every day for a month, not because it's amazing, but because it was close to the guesthouse I was staying in at the time. I can understand some of the negative reviews on here...the place is run by a family and their kids (and the parents) work extremely long days. I also think that some of the "poor service" comments could possibly be from people unfamiliar with Thai service, which is much more laid back that Westerners are accustomed to. You tell THEM when you are ready for the bill (or get up and go pay at the counter, which is the case at Blue Diamond). While I've definitely eaten at many veg places in Chiang Mai with brighter more smiling faces, I've always found this family to be quite pleasant to me (could also be because I was eating there so often!)

Their food overall is good. Some dishes are great (Vietnamese salad is THE salad to get there, by the way). It's one of the few places in town I've found that has a selection of vegan baked goods. Their homemade bread is good too.

The atmosphere is really wonderful...they have a lovely garden with a koi pond and it's lovely at night with the twinkle lights on. Charming really.

It's also great that you can go in there and buy stuff like incense and shampoo...as well as a large selection of dried goods like tea and treats. Overall a good place with some stand out dishes with most being just generally "good enough".

Pros: Great garden, Nice place to meet Westerners, Vegan Baked Goods

Cons: Staff is overworked

Beautiful Place - Edit

This restaurant is very beautiful, with lots of plants, a small waterfall, and a koi pond. There are a lot of tourists here, so I imagine it might be a great place to meet other tourists?

There are shelves with various health food items and supplements including coconut yogurt, spirulina, raw almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, and fresh turmeric. They also carry colloidal silver, some interesting soaps, and many different flavors of incense including Nag Champa.

The menu is pretty western, with lots of omelette dishes and traditional western breakfasts. They also serve some cooked vegan items, salads, and tofu dishes, as well as smoothies and fresh juices. There are copious amounts of very tempting baked goods out in the open, and they will taunt you with their obvious deliciousness.

My friend tells me this place is organic. I didn't see that anywhere on the menu, but she probably knows what she is talking about.

Pros: Probably organic, Beautiful setting, Something for everyone

How Big is the Diamond? - Edit

I have eaten at Blue Diamond at least five times and introduced several travelers as well. I have been completely satisfied with the staff and the service. I mainly order the same dish Vietnamese Herb Salad. Very very tasty lots of variety of fresh veggie and very filling. 98 THB

I considered it the best salad in Chiang Mai. I have seen many people chow down on the salad while I'm there. Occasionally, another happy traveler will glance over at your plate to notice you are eating the same thing.

Be mindful the kitchen closes at 8:30 sharp. So get there on-time to order or you will be drinking water and eating some fresh bread or a muffin.

The operation shut down at 9:00 sharp. But the owners are patient and wait for a few stragglers. I was one of those in the beginning. Later learned they have long days so try to leave when you see the gates closing.

I enjoyed the atmosphere as well with indoor and outdoor seating in a garden style setting. Very nice place to meet new people or enjoy time with some friends.

Now be warned this is not 100% vegetarian as it claims in the name. I personally think that is deceptive. So ask about the ingredients before ordering they use fish sauce and serve meat products.

There are also a wide selection of menu items which can make it hard to make a choice.

Like with many businesses, people are tired and get an attitude. I have found that many Thai people are over worked. Keep your orders clear. And don't too many changes to a set menu item. They tend to follow the recipes exactly.

Just be reasonable. I have seen them make mistakes with orders.

Recently, I order a banana chocolate wasn't as good as I anticipated. I drank it all but may not order again in the future.

The salad is my diamond.

Pros: Great Herb Salad, Excellent location, Large Menu Selection

Cons: Not 100% Vegetarian

Caveats for vegetarians/vegans - Edit

The food is good and comes in large portions but is tailored to western palates and overpriced by local standards. This probably wouldn't bother most tourists.

A word of warning: from my own experience it would seem that all of their Thai salads are made with fish sauce as the default. I wonder how many vegetarians/vegans have ordered and eaten som tum without even realising this. Seems to me that they ought to ask the customer their preference when taking orders. Also, I couldn't be 100% certain but in light of the above point I would have my suspicions that their Thai curries are made with the regular pastes that can be bought from the local markets - all of which contain shrimp. I will happily modify this comment if clarification is provided.

The owners are super-friendly but really only in it for the money and not committed to the vegetarian cause - the meat dishes on the menu providing evidence of such.

OK. Nothing special. - Edit

I live in Chiang Mai and the Blue Diamond is generally well-regarded. Personally, I have never understood why - although it is OK for Thailand. It is not really vegetarian, but they do have a number of vegetarian dishes and nothing there - that I have tasted - is exceptional. To me, it is OK if you are in the area and want vegetarian food, but there are lots of much less expensive Thai veggie places around that are just as tasty, but without the Western bakery items and such. They are on this website, but not easy to find for a tourist.

Pros: pleasant environment, OK food

Cons: slow service, The "health food" items are not healthy , not cheap (for veggie food in Thailand)

A haven in Old City - Edit

Besides vegetarian options, a large assortment of great patries, free wifi and organic, hill-tribe coffee, Blue Diamond is also located in a quaint garden setting complete with koi fish and waterfall. A great place to spend a few hours of the hot Thai afternoon, sipping peach iced tea and munching on vegan fresh coconut muffins. While the owner speaks good english and has a large staff, at times they seem a bit untrained, lost and inattentive.

Pros: wifi, good coffee, pastries and bread, great atmosphere, delicious salads, stir fries

Cons: service could be better, moderately expensive

Great place in Chiang Mai - Edit

This restaurant might actually be what I liked the most in Chiang Mai.

The food was pretty good, but I was most impressed with all the health food products you can buy there... you can even get real whole wheat bread, which is very nice. There is even soy yoghourt and vegan ice cream - which is divine, by the way.

Pros: Great salads, Nice atmosphere, Cheap

Cons: not entirely vegetarian

bad experience - Edit

Several times I have passed by Blue Diamont, I have bought some sweets, cakes, and expending 70, a 100THB or more, stayed for a few minutes and leave, one time a got two cakes with fungus in them, but is not the subject today, from then on I just ask for only fresh ones.
Last two times I decided to seat and use my computer. Today I ordered bread and Avocado, which is two slices of bread with less than 50grams of guacamole for 60THB, I am sure that you already know that this prices are totally address for westerners, therefore expensive within Thailand reality. [edit by staff - see ToS]

Pros: good healthy food

Cons: cakes with fungus, charge for electricity

Great place but wish it was fully veg. - Edit

We had so much trouble finding veg food in Bangkok. Everyone we'd tell would look as if they felt sorry for us. We got to Chiang Mai and I saw several veg restaurants listed in the Lonely Planet guide so was really looking forward to some decent food. We met a traveller and he told us about the Blue Diamond.

I was confused about the meat dishes (mainly breakfast stuff) in the menu. At first I wondered if it was mock meat but there was no mention of it being so. We stuck to the veg menu and were thrilled.

I'm usually not the sort of person who will experience a cultures cuisine by going where all the other tourists were going but it this case, we had no choice.

Pros: extensive veg menu, tasty food , awesome drinks

Cons: there's meat in their menu, most of the staff don't speak english, why the bacon?

Vegan Pancakes!! - Edit

I only went here for breakfast and enjoyed a delicious mixed fruit shake and vegan banana cinnamon pancake. I went early at 8:30am, service was fine and I was super happy to have a pancake with maple syrup after traveling for 2 months without a good vegan breakfast in sight. Reasonable prices. Grabbed their one vegan pastry, apple strudel, and it was tasty too.

Not vegetarian ??? - Edit

I sat down and was disapointed that most of the food had dead animals in it,,,, i ask the owner why she said this was a veggie restaurant when you serve meat ??? she sais what happens if customer want meat and dont like vegetarian food,,, i did not answer,,,,,, i still tried the food to be fair and so slow service and grumpy service but this may have been because i was a vegetarian? never again as i was thinking they use meat and then my food in the same pan...

Pros: nice location, garden nice, ???

Cons: serve animals, slow service, poor food

Made Me Sick - Edit

I found this place through another source, and thought it was completely veggie, so was disappointed to find a number of non-veg dishes, even if it is only a small part of the menu (serves me right for not checking here first).

Service was friendly but slow and disorganised; one of my dishes never came at all and I gave up at closing time. The Indian food was watery and bland - hardly Indian at all, and the portion was small. Their Thai range might be better.Worst part though is that it made me a little sick the next day, for the first time in Thailand.

I had a much better vegetarian Indian meal at the New Delhi Restaurant, which while not completely veg either, the owner is from a vegetarian family and seemed very conscientious about not using meat or dairy andc using separate utensils etc.

I won't go back to Blue Diamond.

Pros: Nice setting, Cheap

Cons: Bland, Poor service

Good Food./Okay Service - Edit

I originally visited this restaurant because I heard they had vegan ice cream, and after 6 weeks without I though "Hurray vegan ice cream!" I was a little disappointed in that aspect as they had a few flavors in these small plastic cups but the chocolate ice cream I was hoping to have was not vegan. Oh, well. We did have an AMAZING dinner, but the service was slow and not very friendly. The food was good enough that we decided to come back, and again we had delicious food but this time the service was a bit better (maybe because they were less crowded?) I really enjoyed eating in the beautiful garden and I liked that they had fruit and nuts you could buy to go which helped sustain me during climbing sessions. Overall, I think this is definitely one of the top veggie eats in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Good snacks to go, Delicious Food, Pretty setting

Cons: Slow/unfriendly(?) sevice

The best restaurant! - Edit

It's the best restaurant in Thailand I've visited. The portions are huge and everything is incredibly tasty. They have fresh bakery, soups, salads, sweets, lot of food. I didn't see anything not vegetarian. The service is a bit slow, it's true.

Pros: Food is delicious, A huge variety, Bakery and local coffee

Cons: May be not very easy to find, Close early!!, A bit slow service

Decent Place - Edit

OK it is not "quite" vegetarian but I don't see the problem - it means you can take your non vege friends and they can enjoy it a little bit too..
They now have a garden which is extremely pleasant and I believe you can smoke there, which, if you are a smoker like me, you will certainly appreciate, although they could do with getting an ash tray and some rain shelter. I know alot of BD customers do not smoke but I also know a lot of people who don't go there for the lack of smoking area. Hope this has now been redeemed.

By the way, they are not open until 10.30 PM like the site says, they close at 9 and the kitchen closes at 8.30 (sharp) - worth knowing.

Like someone else said I go there several times a week at least - because the food is so good, and so are the delicious fruit shakes.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly, Cheap

Cons: Improve smoking area

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Diamond closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11608 times since Aug 2007.