Blue Asia

( 1 review )
910-799-0002

341 S College Rd Unit 52, Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, 28403

Serves meat, vegan options available. A few vegetable and tofu dishes, like buddha's delight minus the fish sauce, can be vegan. Uses chicken stock in the sesame sauce and garlic sauce, so be specific about your order. Gets busy at lunch so large groups need call ahead.

Categories: Chinese, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by SavoyTruffle

Delicious, good vegan options - Edit

Three of us went for lunch at 11:30am on a Friday and we were the first customers. We ordered inari sushi, an avocado roll, tofu fried rice, tofu pad Thai, and (from the lunch menu) tofu with Thai basil sauce. The lunch special usually comes with your choice of soup, but none of the 3 soups are vegan. The waitress understood what "vegan" meant and confirmed with the kitchen that all of our items could be made vegan, with no fish sauce.

They brought an inari avocado roll instead of the inari sushi and I had to explain that usually the fried tofu slice is stuffed with sushi rice. The waitress said, "You mean nigiri?" I said yes and we finally got what we wanted. If you want inari sushi, make it clear that you're not looking for the roll, although in our case, we got a free sushi roll out of it.

The tofu with Thai basil was delicious! I recommend it 100%. And my daughter loved her fried rice.

The only weird thing was the "pad Thai." It kind of looked like pad Thai but didn't have cilantro, bean sprouts, or a slice of lime. It tasted really good but it did not taste like pad Thai. It tasted like a Chinese restaurant was trying to make pad Thai. I thought I tasted soy sauce, sugar, and lime juice, and there were ground peanuts on top, but some important flavor was missing - maybe the cilantro. And it's the first time I've had shredded iceberg lettuce in pad Thai. But we did eat it all (after we picked out the lettuce) because it was delicious.

By the time we finished, the restaurant was filling up. It appears to be a popular place, and the prices are lower than I would expect (about $45 for all of our food) given the decor - kind of dark and elegant, especially since most of the items we ordered were not lunch specials.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable lunch specials, Beautiful

Cons: Weird pad Thai , Soups not vegan

Return to Wilmington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blue Asia closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.