CLOSED: Bliss Organic Garden Cafe

08-82310205

7 Compton St, Adelaide, South Australia, SA 5000

Organic vegan cafe with a rear garden, under change of ownership since Nov 2014. Confirmed closed, Apr 2017. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-4:00pm, Fri-Sat 6:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 9:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Raw, Western, Australian

First Review by happy without cow

Good, but not perfect - Edit

My partner and I went to Bliss for brunch today. I agree with several of the other reviewers that it has a very artsy/hippyish feel, but we were a little put off by the large range of 'cure your cancer by rejecting every form of evidence based medicine' type books on offer (the content of which we personally find deeply irresponsible and misleading) as you walk through the front door.

Dodgy books aside, the service was friendly and the brunch menu extensive. The cake cabinet had at least 30 different vegan cakes and slices, which was very impressive. They also have other vegan goods (cliff bars, vegan chocolate) for sale - handy if you need to grab a snack or something that will travel well.

We sat outside in the rear garden thanks to recommendations from reviewers on here. It was a pleasant space; rustic, spacious and relaxing.

I ordered the bliss breakfast feast, which was huge (a slab of marinated tofu, sautéed mushrooms, homemade baked white beans, cooked tomato topped with homemade pesto, potato wedges and a Turkish pide type bread roll cut in half). It was good, although since every individual component had been generously seasoned the overall result was that it was over seasoned/too salty for me personally - at least one fresh/unseasoned component would've been good e.g. the addition of some plain greens. The amount of bread and wedges was probably a bit much, too, but I was hungry and managed to finish everything with a little help from my partner. He had the falafel burger, which was excellent, and again, a very large/generous size.

We both had coffee - a soy latte and an iced long black. My (not so) long black came is a small teacup with a couple of cubes of ice which rapidly melted, and both coffees tasted a little burnt. We probably should have ordered one of the smoothies or just stuck with the free fruit-infused water.

3.5 - 4 stars from me. I really wanted to love this place (for being fully vegan) but there are definitely things that could be improved and that other places in Adelaide do better.

Pros: extensive vegan menu, fully stocked vegan cake cabinet, nice rear garden seating area

Cons: some questionable literature on sale, bliss breakfast feast was salty/overseasoned, coffee could be better

Checking in with Bliss - Edit

It was time to return to Bliss for a quick work day lunch. Bliss is a vegan institution in the Adelaide CBD, located adjacent to the Central Market and refreshingly authentic in its offerings. Lunch was simple with a marinated tofu burger and sparkling water. I was tempted by the desserts on show but exercised unusual restraint. What's great about this place is it doesn't feel any need to sell out, it's true to its origins and mission. Well priced, well serviced and a calm environment.

Beautiful ambiance - Edit

Such a lovely restaurant.
The staff suggested we sat outside, it was raining so we were dubious. However it was stunning outside and undercover, We settled down on a comfy seat with blankets.
The food and drinks menu was great and it was hard to choose.
Fresh produce, beautifully presented. Very tasty.

great cakes - Edit

Friendly staff. Cakes are the winner. Haven't been here enough.

Pros: All vegan , Full of flavour

Cons: Could be open for dinner......

Great food - Edit

I really enjoyed the food I had here, as did my dining buddy. We were just going to have a snack but the options were too good to just have a little food. The atmosphere was great and the staff were really friendly. I'd definitely recommend a visit

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Lovely staff

My absolute favourite place to eat in Adelaide! The food is always fresh and delicious and the staff are always so happy to help out. Lots of vegan goodies in store aswell ❤️

Best burger in a long time - Edit

I really like the rustic athmosphere of the cafe. Besides burgers, wraps & co you can also buy vegan bars, bubble gums and stuff like that.
I ordered the famous bliss burger and was not disappointed. It was really yummy, low fat and the ingredients fit really well together. The price is quite good for the amount of food you get.
I'll definetly go there again and try one of their good looking cakes!

Pros: yummy & healthy food, low fat, good price

First class quality - Edit

We so enjoyed the vibrancy & quality of the food and the friendly staff that we returned twice for lunch on our short visit to Adelaide.
First time we had the bliss burger ($15) - my husband with the bread roll and me without. It was delicious and very satisfying.
The next day I had the aracini balls and salad and my husband had the curry ($15) Both were sensational and the portion sizes were large.
The outside garden area is perfect as a quiet oasis under the trees.
The desserts look divine which we will need to keep for our next visit.
Highly recommended.

Pros: Lovely staff, Fantastic fresh food, Garden setting

Lots of choices - Edit

I usually get take away from here and love the choices available to me. The falafel wrap and BLT are really tasty. The serving size of the wedges are quite large too.

Fantastic! - Edit

I really enjoyed Bliss. It's not far at all from the market so definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. It has a lovely atmosphere, especially out the back in the garden. Very friendly service and a fantastic selection of food. I enjoyed a raw strawberry cheesecake on my first visit and went back for lunch where I had a Bliss burger, carrot cake and smoothie. It was all delicious. There's a small shop of vegan goodies and also some books to purchase.

Amazing Vegan Food - Edit

Amazing Vegan cafe. The books, the food, the atmosphere, so much vegan awesomeness in one establishment. My partner and I both got the breakfast feast and I could not believe how much amazing food was on the plate. So yummy and plentiful, I regrettably couldn't eat it all. We the. Shares in a vegan brownie which was so tasty, but would have been made tastier if it was heated just a little.

Pros: So many vegan books, products and info, The plentiful, tasty and reasonably priced food, Great venue - inside or out

Cons: Food took a long time to come out, Brownie wasn't heated, No mock meats options

Amazing. One Of The Best! - Edit

A must do if in Adelaide. Heaven for vege/an

Pros: Choice, vegan, Culture

Cons: Only In Adelaide

Hipster Bliss - Edit

We sometimes miss the sidestreet when going to Bliss. The location is good, just off Gouger St on the edge of the Central markets/Chinatown. It's a nicely sized cafe with two front eating areas and a lovely garden section. It can still get uncomfortably crowded sometimes because it is quite popular and of course the location. Inside it's quite clean and a nook and cranny type place in the better way.

The food can be a little steep quite frankly but is a generously sized and organic. Most of their meals are very nice with my favourite being their avocado sandwich. They use texture well, they keep it fresh and colourful and presentation is very good. I have, however, had a disappointing meal here before. A root vegetable bake. No idea on spicing there.

Bliss has quite a range of vegan products available, an excellent community board and sometimes has entertainment on. They also do cooking classes.

The menu is both varied and all vegan and there is often something new. There's plenty to chose from to drink as well and specials are available. The draw for many customers is the wide and interesting selection of sweets, pastries and cakes. Bliss cater to any need, raw, gluten free etc, no worries at all. They are known for good breakfasts but I haven't done that yet.

The service is usually good though it does come and go a bit. They need to work on initial customer contact.

The style here is hipster with a good dash of hippie. All hip, all happening.

This review covers several visits.

Pros: Meal size, Wide variety of everything, Lovely garden dining

Cons: Service falters, Can be crowded at times

Enjoyable - Edit

We have always enjoyed our meals when we come here. Lots of variety on the menu (although always seem to go for the bliss burger)and the juices are great too.

Not meeting expectations... - Edit

I was excited about coming back to this vegan cafe after a visit a couple of years ago. The cafe has a simple, slightly funky feel to it. This time - as last time - we were here for breakfast, and the cafe opens around 8am, which is nice (except Sunday when it's closed - much to our disappointment). I was glad to see they served fair trade coffee and ordered a soy flat white. To be honest I didn't find this great: I didnt like the aftertaste (or 'finish' as I think they call it) and it was a bit watery. Checking out the breakfast menu, I couldn't go all the way and choose the Big Breakfast, so I decided on the scrambled tofu. My partner didn't feel like anything heavy and ordered the vegan BLT - but this turned out to be bigger than my order. I sampled the sandwich and it was quite good with reasonable fake bacon. When my tofu arrived, I have to say it was disappointing: it seemed to have chopped raw vegetables through it and almost no flavour. The most exciting element was the pepitas, which at least gave it some variation in texture, a little crunchiness. I resigned myself to a bland breakfast that morning. Checking out the cabinet, I noticed a wide selection of vegan sweets, but (for me at least)this was not for 9 o'clock in the morning. I'll come back for lunch when I'm in Adelaide again and hope it's a better experience.

Pros: Fair trade coffee, Pleasant ambience, Fully vegan with plenty of vegan sweets

Cons: Bland scrambled tofu, Watery coffee

My favourite spot in Adelaide! - Edit

I just returned to live in Adelaide after 7 years away and this was first on my list of places to grab a coffee and bite to eat.

The food never disappoints and is always fresh and delicious!
Wonderful selection of grocery items as well as notices about community events and organisations.

Definitely recommend visiting this spot!

Great vegan breakfast - Edit

Had the scrambled tofu here one fine morning. It was lovely, a large serving and quite tasty.

I agree with one of the other reviews on here though, the service is not all that warm and welcoming. The tables and ambience inside is ok, and there is also outdoor seating.

There is a range of vegan friendly sweets to be had I noticed. I sampled a slice with coffee on a separate visit. The coffee is a bit average and I was thankful to have a sweet vegan option, which happened to also be sugar free and (I think) gluten free. Not such an unhealthy choice!

This cafe backs onto the shop, or is infront of the shop, depending on which way you approach. The shop has a wide range of all things organic.

Pros: Vegan options, Decent breakfast menu

Cons: Expensive

Good - Edit

We went there while holidaying in Adelaide and it was a very nice surprise to find Bliss Organic hiding away from the bustling streets of Chinatown.
The food was good. We went for breakfast there and my husband had a BLT (which would have satisfied any meat eater I'm sure) and I had the scrambled tofu. They also have a lot of gluten free options!

The prices might be a bit on the expensive side but there was A LOT of food on our plates.

The coffee was good too and they have a lot of cakes/donuts etc... you can take away!

Overall, good surprise and definitely a must go when visiting Adelaide.

Pros: Vegan donuts! , piano :), Garden outside you can sit in

Cons: Prices (maybe), Not open on Sundays

Return to Adelaide Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Bliss Organic Garden Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.