Bliss Cafe

Contact 805-547-0108

778 Higuera St (at downtown), San Luis Obispo, California, USA, 93405

Vegan cafe offering an varied food menu with dishes like kale & grains bowl and tempeh tacos as well coffee, smoothies and fresh juices. Relocated from 1035 Chorro St into this expanded space in early-2013. The inside has a cozy seating, and the back opens into more seating under large trees and by a creek. Mon 9:00am-8:00pm, Tue-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, International, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican, Catering

First Review by ddubois

Nice vegan resto - Edit

Lovely ambiance with a patio adjacent to the creek and perfectly situated near the mission. Lots of options here with a ton of juices, smoothies, sandwiches, salads and bowls to pick from. The fact you need to order without a seat makes this quite overwhelming. I had the green energy bowl which was delicious. The sauce was supposed to be ginger tahini but all I could taste was coconut. Lots of veggies and good tempeh which was nice.

Lots of desserts, all gluten free.

Free WiFi

Pros: Lots of veggies, Lots of options

Cons: Slightly slow service

Wonderful spot, I'd eat here daily if I lived here - Edit

Bliss Cafe is a wonderful spot tucked away down next to a gorgeous creek. I had no idea San Luis Obispo had such a European style area. There are several restaurants along a quite walking path with artwork leading to the Modern Art Museum. The Outdoor cafe seating is completely tranquil & perfect for a relaxing lunch. The cafe style eatery also has indoor seating with chess sets & games. There are a plethora of vegan items, but the highlight for us was that they do not use onions & garlic & had soups & a baja bowl that were completely oil-free whole plant based!!! The chef even whipped up some delicious & spicy hot sauce just for me! Extremely nice & friendly service real care & attention to the quality of the food & health of their patrons! The lavender lentil soup was really something beyond the imagination of my taste buds. The chef who created it deserves some real recognition. After our first bite we ordered another for the road! Find your Bliss & find it often!

Pros: Outdoor seating, healthy vegan food, soups

Gorgeous on a sunny day - Edit

Adorable place on a creek with views of the mission. We liked the veggie protein sandwich with split pea soup (which was not too thick and had lots of flavor). The donuts were disappointing because they weren't deep fried and the frosting wasn't amazing.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Outdoor seating

Cons: Donuts

Very cool vegan cafe - Edit

Firstly, I love the funky 'yogi' theme in this cool vegan cafe. The menu is extensive & food generally very healthy. My wife & I ordered a wrap & burger; both were well presented, healthy & pretty tasty. The fresh juice & smoothie menu was extensive, and the two we ordered were both delicious & healthy, although it was disappointing that our fresh orange juice was obviously straight from a bottle when first served to us After bringing it to the staff's attention, they were happy to replace it but is was still disappointing service in a place that feels so full of love. Overall, I enjoyed our meal here and would still highly recommend it for a delicious & healthy meal.

Pros: Lovely light, healthy food, 100% vegan, Cool yogi theme

Food with a positive vibration - Edit

I believe that food isn't just spices or slices, but also the mood and love that one cooks with. In that category, Bliss gets 5 stars. From the owner to the staff, everyone there is conscious and shows care. I love the peace plate and the burrito! The smoothies are out of this world.

Pros: Positive vibration, healthy ingredients, tasty food

Cons: tough to park, no high chair for child

Best Vegan Food for SLO!!! - Edit

Loved it! I hate traveling because I can't eat any where. Not in SLO. Walking distance from hotel and ate there BLD!!! Loved everything!!! I am Gluten-Free and they had plenty of options for me. Even dessert!

Pros: Home made items!, Loved all the salad dressings, Large salads had tons of veggies!

Dissaponting: Tasteless food, lazy service - Edit

Myself and 2 other longtime vegetarians stopped here to eat during a long trip down the 101. We ordered various entrees, all were bland and tasteless. The food evidently was not designed by an experienced chef, but young hippies who basically gathered a bunch of "healthy" ingredients and threw things together thinking it'd be good. And there wasn't much professionalism or efficiency at all. The staff was needlessly slow at everything - though they were all nice and friendly. The carrot juice, however, was good - so at least they couldn't screw that up. :) I would not recommend this place. And though the portion sizes were good, given that the food didn't taste well it was rather overpriced.

Cons: mediocre food , lazy service , overpriced

Good taste, mellow vibes - Edit

I had read about this place on Happycow years ago and ate here once when they were in their former, tiny location around the block. Came through San Luis Obispo again in June 2014, and here's my Bliss Cafe review update.

Whereas the former cafe was tiny, this new space is large and expansive. Enters from the street into an indoor mall area, and some steps in you will the cafe counter and the desserts counter toward the back. Then the hall leads you to the back patio area where you welcome the fresh greenery of giant trees and a creek with running water down below.

Last trip here we had a very filling and delicious meal called "the peace plate" which comprised organic brown rice, a salad with sprouts and sunflower seeds, chickpea flour breaded eggplant in a marinara sauce, spicy pineapple salsa, and a yellow vegetable-potato curry. We also shared some sweet potato fries, a quiche, a green kale and banana smoothie, and a raw chocolate avocado pie for dessert.

This time around we stopped in for a green smoothie and a fresh green juice, and just relaxed by the creek - a wonderful place to explore.

Pros: good food and drinks, friendly people, good intentions

Bliss Indeed - Edit

I have had the same thing every time I go in....several times. The Buddha Bowl is delicious! Curried vegetables over brown rice with optional chutney. Ample, delicious, filling and disappears in a few short minutes. Once I take that first bite I can't seem to put the fork down. Pretty informal, order at the counter, find a seat and your food is brought to you. Nice "zen" atmosphere with lots of announcements and literature about local activities and health events posted and spread around. And it is right in the middle of downtown SLO...great locations.

Pros: Great food, Really nice staff, Convenient location in town

Cons: a little pricey

If Gas Stations Served Food for Vegans... - Edit

After trying multiple Vegan eateries in over 15 different states, this cafe has got to be the most disappointing. The chili dog was microwaved to the point of being inedible, and the "chili" was just tasteless black beans. The girl behind the counter was very rude, but maybe she was just having a rough day. I sincerely hope that the vegan population of San Luis Obispo has other options of restaurants to choose from besides this one.

Pros: nothing

Excellent! Freaking delicious! - Edit

Our family of four all loved this place. We loved the atmosphere, the cleanliness, the staff and the FOOD! The chocolate mousse pie is life changing. Best thing I have eaten since becoming a vegan. The chili dogs were so good and came with a huge salad. My son and husband had burritos and other son had a fresh made juice. We all were satisfied and had zero complaints. That doesn't happen often with me as I have managed restaurants and it is in my blood to find the flaws. Bravo. Will be back every time we are in town.

Pros: Staff, Chocolate Mousse Pie , Chili dogs!

Cons: none

Awful in so many ways - Edit

After trying vegan restaurants all over the country, THIS place has got to be the worst. If you like microwaved chili dogs and frozen vegetables, then this place is perfect for you. When asking the girl at the counter how much a bag of wheat grass powder was, she looked at me and said "oh, that's really expensive", to which I replied "do I look like I can't afford it?" Should've left then and there, but we were traveling and very hungry. What a disappointment.

Pros: None

Cons: Everything

Bliss is bliss! - Edit

Happy Cow did not let us down with this jewel of a Cafe. Although you have to walk from the main street into a building with other shops, Bliss sits in the back of the building and opens up onto a courtyard. When we were there there was live music and a lively crowd just outside. There is seating out in the courtyard but we elected to stay inside because it was a little chilly.

The food was wonderful. We tried a couple of different dishes. The salad was really impressive with all kinds of local and organic ingredients. The juice was good as well.

We recommend this cafe to anyone interested in living healthy!

Tasty take-out food - Edit

Was in town for a conference and stopped by about 10 minutes before they cosed. I got a Tempeh Reuben and a side of Lentil Kale Soup for $9. Both were very tasty, but not exceptional. Solid vegan option in San Luis Obispo.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive

Good Food, Nice Atmosphere - Edit

Good food, tasty & healthy. Nice little place with a comfortable little indoor seating area, and an outdoor seating area as well next to a creek, with lots of outdoor plants. Attentive, friendly service. It is a little pricey.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Friendly

Cons: Pricey

Contributions +195

Almost Exceptional..... - Edit

Very tasty, but nothing to write home about. I had the all day Breakfast Burrito. Yummers, but I could have done it at home, better. But, I am always stoked to be able to go to a Vegan establishment. They have a very simple menu(in terms of choices, not in terms of food prep), and a very simple location. 4 tables, a window seat area, and 10 or so items on the menu. My only real negative critique would be the cost. I spent $11.31 (USD) on a breakfast burrito with a small side salad. Not a lot in the scheme of normal eating out experiences, but way inflated when you think about how you're eating rice, tofu, veggies and a tortilla. It is all vegan though, and the food was good. I'll support them... Also, nice selection of gluten free and raw items...plus, they are well known for their super packed vegan and live smoothies....

Pros: Vegan, Nice atmosphere, Tasty unique standards

Cons: Pricey for what you get, small

no illusion hare - Edit

I loved the special sauce. Not sure what it is: tamarind, cardamon, and more? I did feel cheated though. The portion of tempeh I got with my sandwich was weak considering what I paid. I am also guessing I got wheat bread, not squaw, and it was quite thin. Suppose I was hoping for homemade, and dark squaw at that. The apple/banana/kale smoothie with hemp protein was OK, but very runny, not smooth/thick, and not cold at all. Maybe that's just how they make their smoothies? But I'd call it juice, warm juice. On a warm day I'd like something cool, or cold. It was also disappointing to see a server wearing the latest trendy rooster feathers in her ears, but perhaps she doesn't know the score, or care. They do serve eggs and cheese, but rooster feathers are still in poor taste in a vegetarian restaurant (or anywhere for that matter). Nevertheless, I'd call the service just OK, and the taste/vale about the same. The bathroom could have a used a good cleaning, and a LOCK! as well.

Pros: good special house sauce, cozy

Cons: dirty bathroom, runny warm smoothie, thin bread

My favorite restaurant in SLO - Edit

Bliss Cafe is hands down my favorite restaurant in SLO. The Peace Plate is fabulous and the portions are plentiful enough for two people to share. The Spanakopita is great as are the quiches and desserts. You can't go wrong ordering anything on the menu.

Pros: generous portions, friendly staff, good prices

fresh and fabulous - Edit

I had lunch at Bliss Cafe today, and it was a pretty wonderful surprise. A handsome, breezy, relaxing little place with soaring ceilings. The menu is super wholesome and appetizing --I started with a light smoothie that featured banana and kale, and ate something I rarely dare order: a "vegetable sandwich," this time with tempeh. The shredded veggies (lettuce, carrots, beets) were abundant and fresh, the bread was local, brown and deliciously smeared by hummus and vegenaise, and the tempeh hearty. On request they piled in some sauerkraut, which pretty much made it a reuben. Served with a pile of wildly delicious home-made lavash chips, that they'd seasoned w/ nutritional yeast and more. Highly recommended! Esp. as an antidote to greasy road-trip food. I think I'll go back tomorrow.

Pros: healthy, fresh, delicious

Cons: unlikely to fit large parties

Truly vegan, peaceful ambiance! - Edit

This little restaurant was so cute and welcoming! The chef and staff were all so nice and we had an amazing and very FILLING meal! I had a vegan quiche that was delicious and iced Mate by the glass. It was a wonderful lunch and we will be back!

Pros: All vegan, Healthy, Delicious

Cons: Limited seating

Fantastic restaurant for the health conscious - Edit

At bliss you know that all their food is coming to you clean and fresh. With a small restaurant like this you can be sure that each meal is made with care and quality and not rushed or mass produced along some assembly line. But what I really like about Bliss is that the typical barrier between the customer and the cook is erased. The result is a unique dining experience where the person showing you the menu is the same person who goes to the kitchen to prepare your meal. This setup makes so much sense when you think about it! Not only does this put the patron at ease with the assurance that they are well taken care of, it also gives them the chance to meet and thank the person making their food. It's my opinion that when you never speak to or even see the person making your food, something is lost. Bliss Cafe frees you from the impersonal aspect of the typical restaurant and celebrates the bond that food preparation can create between people.

Pros: Healthy/fresh food, Warm and friendly staff, Affordable

Return to San Luis Obispo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bliss Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8107 times since Nov 2009.