Bliss Cafe

805-547-0108

778 Higuera St (at downtown), San Luis Obispo, California, USA, 93405

Vegan cafe offering an varied food menu with dishes like kale & grains bowl and tempeh tacos as well coffee, smoothies and fresh juices. Relocated from 1035 Chorro St into this expanded space in early-2013. The inside has a cozy seating, and the back opens into more seating under large trees and by a creek. Open Mon-Wed 10:00am-8:00pm, Thu-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, International, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican, Catering

First Review by ddubois

Everything a vegan cafe should be! - Edit

We visit this place multiple times every time we are in SLO. Every single thing we've had has been fantastic. I wish we had this restaurant in our hometown. I can't say enough good things about it, just go.

cool place - Edit

If I lived in the area I would be at this place all the time. It's such a cute cafe in the heart of downtown slo. Delicious cooked food and baked treats

Pros: beautiful location and setup, great food (cooked and sweet treats)

Cons: far from me, parking could suck

Beautiful location - Edit

Great menu, so many healthy options. A must when in SLO.

Pros: gorgeous setting , healthy food

Cons: parking is a hassle

Hits the Spot - Edit

There's never a lack of food when I go here. They give you gigantic portions (I'm a big guy and I can barely finish any of the meals). I love this place, but my non-vegan girlfriend absolutely hates it. I've taken her here three times and she refuses to ever go back with me. Kind of unfortunate, because she usually doesn't mind when I take her to these kinds of places.

Besides that. Generally a great experience every visit. Minus one star because I've had a few issues when ordering (ask for no cucumber, salad has cucumber on it, etc.)

Pros: Friendly staff, Relaxing environment, Healthy and tasty food

Cons: My non-vegan girlfriend hates the food, Don't always get what I order, A bit on the expensive side

amazing place - Edit

Been going here for years. The protein Buddha bowl with tempeh hits the spot when I'm really hungry. If you know people who aren't vegan this is a perfect spot to bring them. They have juices, smoothies and just all around really great food. 5 stars.

Not impressed - Edit

The place is big, lots of seating and fully vegan. Staff was really friendly and helpful.
However, the food was just mediocre, except for the almond chocolate balls which were magic. The Reuben Sandwich had too much sauerkraut which was overpowering and the all day breakfast bowl was blant and lacked flavour. However the dessert was delicious.

Pros: lots of seating, all vegan, super nice staff

Cons: food kind of blant

Great place to eat for lunch or dinner! - Edit

I was visiting SLO and was looking for a restaurant that would fill me up. Sure I could go get pizza or go to Whole Foods but I wanted to try a new restaurant. Even though I'm vegan, I'm even more picky. So I kept finding restaurants that served sandwiches, baked good or salads but I didn't want any of that. I came across this place and was stoked. The place is beautifully decorated, very chill environment and has a beautiful huge patio area next to the creek. I ordered the Tamari Stir Fry and loved it! ( Marinated grilled tofu with veggies and rice) They have a big menu from Tacos/Burritos to Sandwhiches all the way to Assorted bowl meals. Oh yeah, they also have cookies and donuts. Overall, I would totally come here again. :) Pluuuuuuus, if you want to kill time they have chess tables. Sweet.

Pros: Big Patio, Menu, Juices

Fantastic quality - Edit

Loved their Farmers Market Salad

visiting? come here! - Edit

So much character and goodies to look at. After a long day of traveling we devoured the burritos and got 2 donuts to go- real donuts!!-. Perfect.

loved it! - Edit

Cozy spot, great food, amazing cookies! I recommend the maple sugar cookie and almond butter/chocolate cookie, insanely delicious! Staff was very friendly too

Nice vegan resto - Edit

Lovely ambiance with a patio adjacent to the creek and perfectly situated near the mission. Lots of options here with a ton of juices, smoothies, sandwiches, salads and bowls to pick from. The fact you need to order without a seat makes this quite overwhelming. I had the green energy bowl which was delicious. The sauce was supposed to be ginger tahini but all I could taste was coconut. Lots of veggies and good tempeh which was nice.

Lots of desserts, all gluten free.

Free WiFi

Pros: Lots of veggies, Lots of options

Cons: Slightly slow service

Wonderful spot, I'd eat here daily if I lived here - Edit

Bliss Cafe is a wonderful spot tucked away down next to a gorgeous creek. I had no idea San Luis Obispo had such a European style area. There are several restaurants along a quite walking path with artwork leading to the Modern Art Museum. The Outdoor cafe seating is completely tranquil & perfect for a relaxing lunch. The cafe style eatery also has indoor seating with chess sets & games. There are a plethora of vegan items, but the highlight for us was that they do not use onions & garlic & had soups & a baja bowl that were completely oil-free whole plant based!!! The chef even whipped up some delicious & spicy hot sauce just for me! Extremely nice & friendly service real care & attention to the quality of the food & health of their patrons! The lavender lentil soup was really something beyond the imagination of my taste buds. The chef who created it deserves some real recognition. After our first bite we ordered another for the road! Find your Bliss & find it often!

Pros: Outdoor seating, healthy vegan food, soups

Gorgeous on a sunny day - Edit

Adorable place on a creek with views of the mission. We liked the veggie protein sandwich with split pea soup (which was not too thick and had lots of flavor). The donuts were disappointing because they weren't deep fried and the frosting wasn't amazing.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Outdoor seating

Cons: Donuts

Very cool vegan cafe - Edit

Firstly, I love the funky 'yogi' theme in this cool vegan cafe. The menu is extensive & food generally very healthy. My wife & I ordered a wrap & burger; both were well presented, healthy & pretty tasty. The fresh juice & smoothie menu was extensive, and the two we ordered were both delicious & healthy, although it was disappointing that our fresh orange juice was obviously straight from a bottle when first served to us After bringing it to the staff's attention, they were happy to replace it but is was still disappointing service in a place that feels so full of love. Overall, I enjoyed our meal here and would still highly recommend it for a delicious & healthy meal.

Pros: Lovely light, healthy food, 100% vegan, Cool yogi theme

Food with a positive vibration - Edit

I believe that food isn't just spices or slices, but also the mood and love that one cooks with. In that category, Bliss gets 5 stars. From the owner to the staff, everyone there is conscious and shows care. I love the peace plate and the burrito! The smoothies are out of this world.

Pros: Positive vibration, healthy ingredients, tasty food

Cons: tough to park, no high chair for child

Best Vegan Food for SLO!!! - Edit

Loved it! I hate traveling because I can't eat any where. Not in SLO. Walking distance from hotel and ate there BLD!!! Loved everything!!! I am Gluten-Free and they had plenty of options for me. Even dessert!

Pros: Home made items!, Loved all the salad dressings, Large salads had tons of veggies!

Amazing! - Edit

Bliss is one of my favorite restaurants in SLO; they have such a diverse menu and yummy desserts available. 10/10 would recommend :)

Pros: All vegan, fun staff, great vibe

Dissaponting: Tasteless food, lazy service - Edit

Myself and 2 other longtime vegetarians stopped here to eat during a long trip down the 101. We ordered various entrees, all were bland and tasteless. The food evidently was not designed by an experienced chef, but young hippies who basically gathered a bunch of "healthy" ingredients and threw things together thinking it'd be good. And there wasn't much professionalism or efficiency at all. The staff was needlessly slow at everything - though they were all nice and friendly. The carrot juice, however, was good - so at least they couldn't screw that up. :) I would not recommend this place. And though the portion sizes were good, given that the food didn't taste well it was rather overpriced.

Cons: mediocre food , lazy service , overpriced

Return to San Luis Obispo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bliss Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.