Blind Faith Cafe

Contact 847-328-6875

525 Dempster St, Evanston, Illinois, USA, 60201

Certified green restaurant, opened since 1979. Sit-down dining, self-service cafe, and bakery. Prices moderate to expensive; dinner prices are higher.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Western, Juice bar, Bakery, Catering

First Review by Reba

Tasty Food, great bakery - Edit

I wish this place was closer, as I almost never make it up to Blind Faith. It's not that far, but I have to drive past a dozen other great places to get to BF, so I always seem to hit one of them. It's a shame, because I really do like this place. They really don't have a great menu, but they do have a few things that they do very well. I love their BBQ sandwich. I also really like their bakery. I believe that they have the best vegan(isn) bakery in Chicago. Not everything is vegan, but what is vegan is very good.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Place, Friendly Staff

Cons: Parking can be a challenge

the best kept secret - Edit

this café is wonderful. the menu is full of choices where I can go (I'm a vegan) and I can eat with my friends whom aren't as strict. it is a must go eatery.

Pros: afforable, relaxing, friendly and helpful staff

Cons: hard finding parking

Not good - Edit

I really wanted to like this restaurant. I had been meaning to try it for years, though had been warned that the quality has fluctuated over the years. I can say that this is the first vegetarian restaurant I have eaten at that I wouldn't return to (and I have eaten at many). I ordered a seitan mushroom dish. While that part was okay, the sides were uninspired and unseasoned (white rice, sweet potato/squash mash, and very undercooked green beans). My husband got the peanut noodle and tofu dish. The tofu was cold in the center, and the dish tasted very bland (like unsalted peanut butter on noodles). Even when they provided a side of hot sauce, it was not very tasty.
With so many other great veg places in Chicago, I would skip this one.

Pros: Nice location

Cons: Bland, poorly executed ideas

Blind Luck Cafe - Edit

Blind Faith started right around the time I became a vegetarian (and then vegan). From the strange little hole in the wall to its current lovely sit down, Blind Faith has always been there. Truth be told, I haven't visited Evanston in years, but every time I go back, I go to Blind Faith as part of my "reunion tour." It is always consistently good -- a reliable favorite. Because I was lucky enough to grow up down the street, I also grew up thinking that it was "normal" and easy to be veg, back in the days before tofu was stocked in the grocery store and every meal included a PB & J. Just one of the many excellent things about growing up in Evanston. Go give it a try and say hello for me!

Pros: Reliably Good Food, Atmosphere, Location!

Terrible Service - Edit

I had heard from friends about this place, and so I finally went to check it out yesterday with a friend. I was really impressed by the food -- the Macrobiotic was great, the Kung Pao was very flavorful, and our waiter was very helpful. I was also impressed that we didn't have to wait a long time for our food. As we were going out, we passed by the check-out section and was so excited to try one of the cupcakes, and wow. Let's just say that the guy behind the counter was not very helpful (and rude). Because of that experience, I doubt I will go back to this establishment. I do recommend the place because of all the healthy and tasty food, but I left with a really sour taste in my mouth. It definitely was enough to deter me from considering the place again.

Pros: excellent food, healthy

Cons: service

Great vegetarian find near Northwestern University - Edit

Our vegetarian family had an excellent meal here at the Blind Faith Cafe. The variety of options was great. My seitan stew over linguine was very well prepared and seasoned. The restaurant itself is clean and attractive. They have a good selection of wine, beer and cocktails as well, which we consider to be a plus. My husband and I came back the next morning for brunch before heading back to Pennsylvania. The place was hopping with families of all sizes. There was pleasant outdoor seating available to accomodate the crowd. It is great to see a real vegetarian restaurant doing so well and clearly meeting a need. I wish it were always this easy to find a great restaurant with no meat on the premises. We were very glad for such a good meal to get us on our way.

Pros: quality and variety of ingredients, excellent and attractive prep, open late on Sat. eve.

Classic - Edit

The Blind Faith Cafe has been my safe spot for going out to dinner with my meat-eating grandparents who both get the BBQ Seitan Sandwich EVERY time we go. The corn bread is terrific as are all the salads, the quesadillas, and blind faith burger. The desserts (both vegan and dairy) are well balanced and always fresh. My experiences with the wait staff have proved them to be patient and kind in the face of 80 year old grumpy seniors. This place is a winner. Well worth the trip up to Evanston (and very easy to get to if traveling by the El). My only complaint is how they became more expensive in the past year or two since the remodel. Great restaurant however getting pricey. Will be eating here for years to come.

Pros: Delicious food., Wonderful staff., Desserts!

Cons: Tad on the pricey side.

Best BBQ Seitan Sandwich I've Ever Had!!! - Edit

I highly recommend this place! And Chicagoans, it's really easy to get here via the train, so get out here soon [take the purple line to the Dempster stop and it's about a block away - really close!!!]! When I first walked in I had the choice of sit down dining or self serve, I was with a friend so we did the sit down area. Unfortunately I had to walk past the desert display case which had some really good looking Vegan cakes and brownies [this is all I could think about until I got my good ;)]. I ordered the BBQ Seitan sandwich...all I have to say is, that was the best BBQ Seitan sandwich I've ever had! The prices are a little higher, but I will tell you my sandwich was pretty big - and I was too full to order the Vegan deserts. Overall this is a cute area and nice restaurant with VERY GOOD food!

Great Food!! - Edit

This is simply one the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. The seitan is excellent, well flavored, I highly recommend it. The dessert selection is amazing as well. Even if I wasn't looking for a vegeterian selection I would advise anyone to go to Blind Faith.

Pros: Excellent Tasting Food, Lots of Choices, Inexpensive

Cons: Decor Cheesy

tasty and reliable - Edit

I've never had a bad meal here. Their menu is diverse and interesting, offering something for everyone.

Pros: healthy cuisine, varied menu, comfortable room

Cons: can get a little crowded, parking is tough

Return to Evanston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Blind Faith Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3289 times since Aug 2007.