Bless My Soul Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 707-443-1090

29 5th St (at Broadway St), Eureka, California, USA, 95501

Serves meat, vegan options available. This family-owned-and-operated small cafe with an inviting feel to it, has a number of vegan suitable menu items. Try the tofu creole, manicotti and fresh salads with an house-made green vinegarette.

Category: Beer/Wine, Take-out, Southern American, Soul food, Creole, Cajun, Non-veg

First Review by 3Lego

Comfort food in a Comfortable Setting - Edit

"Veggie plate" is delicious. The food and ambiance makes you feel like you're eating a home cooked meal. Try "Mama's Sweet Tea" too is the best.

Pros: Super Friendly Staff, great food

Cons: Not much to look at

Great Experience - Edit

Bless My Soul Cafe is a very cute small converted house in downtown Eureka.  Besides the lace curtains and nice dinnerware, the gracious family members who own & operate this restaurant make you feel like you have been invited into their home for Sunday supper.  On the menu, there are 7 "vegetarian dinners" -- 2 of those dinners specifically labeled "vegan": Sauteed Fresh Vegetables w/Tofu ($14.95), and Veggie Plate ($14.95). But if you look carefully at the menu and ask questions, there may be several other vegan options.  The owner, Marie (aka Sweet Mama Janisse) was back in the kitchen turning out some amazing authentic Southern style food. When she came out at the end of the evening to visit with the remaining diners, we found out that she makes most of the food and award-winning sauces from scratch and is able to answer questions about any of the dishes.  Also, she is more than willing to try to accommodate special dietary needs.  She is passionate about all types of food, and hopes to add more vegan dishes to the menu.  It would be great to have more choices.  It was our first visit, and I wish I had asked more questions.  We had the vegan Tofu Creole which was good.  But I didn't think to ask if any of the other dishes could be prepared vegan style.  The meals may seem a little pricey, but the dinners come with a very fresh organic spring salad and 2 sides.  There are a number of "Veggie Sides - all prepared vegetarian" but you may need to verify that your choice is vegan.  Our favorite was the collard greens. The sweet potatoes were thick slices/chunks baked perfectly with just a hint of cinnamon & brown sugar. The creole corn was fresh and flavorful.  Cabbage, red beans, black-eyed peas, & creole herb rice are other choices.  No vegan desserts, but we were too full to notice.  Interesting beer & wine selection.  My husband tried a brand new beer (Rosie's) bottled locally, and it was one of the best he's ever had.  We also really enjoyed the soulful Southern jazz that filled the air, and we couldn't resist rocking back and forth and tapping our toes to the music.  Bless My Soul Cafe is a total experience worth having.  Good food, fun atmosphere & incredible service.  The family is just as warm, delightful & soulful as the cuisine.  A very enjoyable evening.  Highly recommend.

Pros: Very knowledgeable & friendly staff, Great Food, Great soulful jazz music

Cons: A little pricey

Return to Eureka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bless My Soul Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1903 times since Jul 2011.