Black Water Bar

503-281-0439

835 NE Broadway, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97232

Metal and punk themed bar and live music venue from Black Water Records. Serves vegan pub food including sandwiches, subs, nachos, and fries. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 6:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by AbolitionistDrumGirl

UGH I love this place - Edit

Black Water is what comes to mind when I want good food and music. I've only had a few things off their menu due to an allergy, but everything I've had has been amazon! And huge portions as well!

Pros: Delicious Greasy Vegan food

craving comfort food? look no further! - Edit

MUST TRY! I had the party melt. I recommend pitting the vegan ranch in with it too!

Fantastic niche in the PDX vegan landscape - Edit

Took me a long time to get into this place, but when I did it proved to be a great throwback to the small, grungier, bar-food-90's style bars I first hung out in in post-21 days in 90's Portland and Salem. But it's better now, as it's a veganized and LBGTQ-friendly punk and metal themed bar. Good events, food is delish. I had the Elvis like burger with tempeh bacn, peanut butter, b&b pickles and sauce. Soooo freakin savory, nutty and sweet. Hearty portion of flavorful homemade potato salad. Looking forward to revisiting and diving into more of the menu! Allll vegan, and mozz stix?! Yes.

Pros: punk and metal theme, Good 100% vegan bar style food, Hate-free zone

Cons: Strange neighborhood, Evening-night only, Noisy at times

Great junk food & music - Edit

So glad I went to this place on a recent visit, despite traveling solo. Food served all night and take out available for an extra dollar. I ate at the bar and washed down the chilli cheese fries with one of their lagers. Mostly beer in cans or bottles, not tap. Inexpensive. Friendly staff. Seemed like a great community. The music was right up my street too. This place has more punks & metal heads than some of the rock bars in London! Fully vegan and not a meat market either.

Pros: Delicious junk food , Inexpensive , Friendly staff

Cons: I love the vibe, but this will be too alternative

Food so nice, we ate here twice! - Edit

While on vacation in Portland we ended up here twice! The first night there wasn't an event going on so we stayed to eat and watched the Hobbit on the big screen. The second night they were getting ready for a punk show so we got everything to go (all the tables were taken.) The food was SO GOOD. My favorite thing was the vegan cheese sticks. How do they make them?? My husband was in love with the Western burger and got it both nights. I had the BBQ sandwich one night, and the mac and cheese the second. Both tasted great. The bartenders were very friendly both nights and it wasn't too long a wait, even the night that it was packed.
Like the other reviewer said, check the facebook page to see what events were going on. We love shows and loud music so weren't put off by the crowd for the show, but I can see families might be a little hesitant to try it. Just get the food to go if that is the case, it can't be missed if you love GOOD vegan junk food.

Pros: great food

Cons: not much seating if there is a show

good food - Edit

I had the mac & cheese and the brisket sandwich with coleslaw. It was very tasty and filling. The staff was friendly.

Mixed feelings - Edit

Wannabe goth bar serving genuine pub crunk, veganised. The burgers are decently priced for what you get and my Scorpion burger was excellent. That said, the 'music' was provided by an over-amped garage band that should not have made it past the end of the driveway. Great venue if you love bar food and hate your eardrums.

Pros: affordable, fast

Cons: dark, loud

Vegan Casual - Edit

Great food. The food is authentic vegan. You can tell they make all of their proteins themselves. Need a better wine selection but still worthy of more than 5 stars!

Pros: All Vegan

Cons: can be noisy

Fun dark atmosphere with tasty sandwiches - Edit

I love the cozy darkness of this place, I love that they have pinball, I love the burgers, and my fiancé loved their home brewed beers he tried!
We got the western and the scorpion burger, potato salad, and fries. He drank the smoked porter and seemed to really dig it! I love spicy food and the scorpion burger really hit it right. It was delicious! Pickled and fresh Jalapeños! The cold potato salad paired nicely! Although I recommend their coleslaw! I'm such a sucker for purple cabbage but wanted to switch it up.
The western burger was good too, but the scorpion was the tastier in my opinion!
They make their own veggie patties! No reheated frozen discs here. I commend you for that Blackwater. Going the extra mile by home crafting the foundation of their food and their own beer makes the trip worth it!
It's a venue too! Last night a DJ was playing some digital, alien sounding sh*t, and while playing pinball I was pretty happy about it, and the visuals were galactic and footage of ascending into space.
I think it would be pretty awesome if they had desert! Maybe some cookies with pentagrams or something with ice cream in the middle?
Call me Blackwater, I'll make the cookies. ;)

Pros: brew their own beer, solid menu, pinball

Vegan cheeseburger can't be beat - Edit

Pretty sure I've gained a lil weight since this gem opened a few months ago. The diner-style menu is a perfect trifecta: delicious, generously portioned & cheap as hell!

On my birthday I tried a bite of pretty much everything on the menu (salads, sides, Mac n cheese, fried motz. Sticks, etc) all good but the burgers & sandwiches win top prize.

Wow your nonvegans friends with the slutty goodness of the perfect vegan burger!

They also brew beer that's quite good. Look at their Facebook event calendar before heading out because there may be a rad but loud show going on at Black Water.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Laid back, roomy atmosphere

Cons: Not open til 6pm, Sometimes has concerts (not that that's bad)

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Black Water Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.