First Review by will-travel-for-food

love love coffee - Edit

Love love their coffee (dean's beans, AHAB'S REVENGE).

My favorite sandwich is the Jamie's Veg: hummus, veggies, cream cheese -- but without the cream cheese and replace it with guacamole. It's great.
They also have a huge salad but it's HUGE and I can never eat it all -- has hummus, olives, etc. (maybe you have to ask for it without feta, don't remember).

They always have some vegan baked good: most usually vegan chocolate cupcakes with chocolate or vanilla frosting [really hard to resist!], and they also have some vegan cookie.

Great place to sit and do work most of the time -- can get busy and loud with conversations, though, since this is the place the college students bring their parents. :) It's somewhat of a dirty place at times, perhaps just old tables etc., but they don't clean the tables enough. I usually end up just getting takeout and bring it to the office for all of the above reasons.

Pros: veggies always fresh, great great coffee

Cons: crowded, loud at times

Nice Local Restaurant - Edit

Black Sheep Deli gives you a feel for the local Amherst atmosphere. Having said that, I wasn't super excited with my meal there. I ordered the portabella sandwich, which I thought was average, and a vegan cupcake which seemed a little stale and was too sugary for me to eat all of it at once. Overall, my experience was underwhelming, but they do make their own bread and some of it is vegan and gluten-free, if you're into that.

Pros: nice location, nice atmosphere, homemade bread

Cons: not many vegan options

Vegan baked goods--yummy! - Edit

My friend and I had the vegan chocolate cupcakes, and they were excellent. This is a great place for vegans to get cupcakes and other delicious baked goods. They were a little messy though, so get plenty of napkins. : )

Pros: Great desserts

decent sandwiches - Edit

the black sheep is on the pricey side. seven bucks for a sandwich that is easy to prepare and has common, cheap ingredients. that said, the sandwiches are pretty tasty and the coffee's alright. the atmosphere varies -- they often have appalling acoustic performers preventing conversation in their main room. nobody ever seems to be interested in the music, but they stay presumably because its better than the cold. still, along with crazy noodles, the best vegan-friendly meal you'll find in downtown amherst.

Pros: better than the competition

Cons: still not great

Fantastic dark roast coffee! - Edit

We love the Black Sheep Blend coffee offered here. We occasionally stop in to take a pound or two home with us to Rhode Island. They make some fantastic breads, too. Vegans should be aware that some of them contain honey, however. I believe that The Lone Wolf restaurant just up the block (which has delicious vegan breakfast offerings) uses breads and coffee beans from the Black Sheep. The Black Sheep is probably the best spot in town to get a nice, robust cup of coffee.

Pros: great coffee, great breads

Return to Amherst Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Black Sheep Deli and Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1341 times since Aug 2007.