CLOSED: Black Rose Tavern

Contact 310-275-2619

8771 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, California, USA, 90035

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar offering a small plates menu, opened Mar 2014. Offers a separate vegan menu with food prepared in a separate area from meat. Live music events. REPORTED CLOSED, JULY 2016.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by BettyBarnes

late night vegan grub - Edit

We visited Black Rose during a Vegan Drinks event which included special drinks and a buffalo wings dish in addition to the three items on the menu (jackfruit sliders, crab cakes and iceberg lettuce wedge). I tried one of the special drinks which included jackfruit in it (the other was a White Russian) and Dirk had a brown ale. We also ordered the wings, sliders and wedge. The food was all good bar grub. A friend wanted to order fries, but was told none of them are vegan, so that was a disappointment. Overall, it's nice to be able to eat at a bar that's open late, but it would be even better if there were more than 3 items available on a regular basis.

Pros: vegan food at a bar, late night

Cons: few options

Late Night Vegan Food! - Edit

It isn't always so easy to find tasty vegan food in LA late at night. I saw that the Black Rose Tavern just opened in my part of town, and decided to check it out.

I walked up to the front door at around ten pm, and there was a bouncer who checked my ID, and then I was asked to pay to see a couple of bands that were playing. I told him that I was only there to have dinner, and he didn't charge me.

The interior is quite large with a stage and has the "cool black-walled Hollywood look". A long bar lines one wall, and restaurant booths line the opposite wall. I felt like I was the only person there looking for some late night vegan food.

My waitress was very sweet, and referred to me as "love".
I ordered the vegan crab cakes and the jackfruit slider.

The jackfruit slider was decent, but I was hoping for a bit more texture than a mashed up jackfruit patty. I preferred the crab cake. I can't say either dish was mind-blowing, but I love the fact that the kitchen closes at 1AM, and if you are looking for late night vegan food, this is one of those rare spots on the westside where you don't have to settle for a salad or vegetable sides.

If you want amazing vegan crab cakes in LA, although expensive, I would highly recommend Crossroads. I also enjoy the vegan crabcake sandwich at Vegan Grill. If you want a couple of tasty vegan dishes at midnight, then I would recommend you check out the Thai Restaurant scene on Hollywood Blvd, Swingers, and now we have a new addition: the Black Rose Grill.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Late Night Vegan Food

Cons: A bit loud for my taste

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Black Rose Tavern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1872 times since Mar 2014.