Black Bean Deli

• Veg-friendly
Contact 407-628-0294

325 S Orlando Ave, Winter Park, Florida, USA, 32789

Serves meat, vegan options available. Original location of this authentic Cuban cuisine. Offers several vegan choices including empanadas, black beans, rice, plantain and yuca. Not all labeled, so ask.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Cuban, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by eastendgrrl22

Best Cuban in Orlando - Edit

Black Bean Deli has a lot of vegan options that people don't know about
-black beans
-rice
-salad
-sweet plantains (maduros)
-vegan empanadas
-garbanzo beans
-red beans

They are opening a second location with 85 seats in June 2013 on East Colonial near Bumby!

Pros: fresh, quality products, great prices

Another south Floridian Cuban girl's review - Edit

Black Bean Deli's been around for a long time, and has even been voted Orlando's best Cuban restaurant, though it's not so much of a restaurant as a food counter, with just 5 or 6 stools for seating.

My dinner consisted of a container of black bean soup (no rice, per my white rice hating preference), maduros (fried ripe plantains), and 2 vegan empanadas. Despite it being delicious, I was only able to eat half of it. It's a very good value.

I was in absolute heaven. I even traded a couple maduros for a couple of my friend's tostones (fried green plaintains) that I dipped into my black bean soup. SO GOOD. The black bean soup, while being a little salty, was really delish, and the platanos were cooked perfectly. (My Puerto Rican best friend that lives here recommends the black bean soup too!) The maduros have just the right degree of burned cripy edges, and the tostones having the correct crisp outsides and tender middles.

The empanadas were a little different than what I'm used to, and certainly different than mine, filled with meat analogue, carrots and potatoes. This gave it a very cuban comfort food taste (like potaje). I enjoyed them much, and savored them fresh and hot, and cold out of the fridge later!

(Further research determined that they even have an empanada food truck (laempananda.com) that travels around the winter park area. WHAT?!?!?!! Yes. And it sounds like some of those amazing empanadas could possibly be vegan by their descriptions. Someone please find out!)

Highly recommend!

Full review with pictures here: http://cameraphonevegan.com/2012/03/15/black-bean-deli-orlando-fl/

Pros: good value, delicious, fast

Cons: limited seating, styrofoam, no recycling

Very good veg Cuban food - Edit

I am half Cuban and from Miami so I can be overly critica; with that in mind, this place has pretty good vegan options. I used to order the tamal platter but found out recently that it was not vegan even though a couple of years ago I was assured it was - don't know if an ingredient change occurred or if it was a mistake but I was really disappointed considering I make these all the time completely vegan. The empanada is too tomatoe-y and mushy inside, I like a more "meaty" picadillo so I wasn't crazy about that either. This being said, the rice, beans, salad (excellent lettuce and tomatoes which is unusual), dressing, and plantains are delicious - I generally don't even eat sweet plantains because they can be overly ripe and mushy but these are firm and caramelized just right. I'd like to see them expand their vegan options a little more to include papa rellena, tostones, a better empanada, and remove whatever it is in the tamal that is an animal product as no one would even notice. Still, very tasty and worth the tight fit.

Pros: Flavorful , Authentic

Cons: Could be more vegan, Very little seating

Vegan Empanadas!!!! - Edit

Talk about good food! If I hadn't ordered the vegetarian lunch platter with a vegan empanada myself...I'd never had known. The vegetarian lunch platter was good (comes with plaintains, salad, rice and black beans). But what made it awesome was that I just happened to order the vegan empanada, too. Absolutely delicious! Oh, they are located within the Ranch Mall strip (took me awhile to find it). The owner and staff are very friendly and always looking to help a lost outsider find their way to the location :)

Pros: great food, friendly staff, awesome prices

Cons: difficult to find, do not accept AMEX on small orders, parking is limited

Small and limited food - Edit

This place is a nice place to eat at if you don't mind sitting on a stool at a counter, (there are no tables). We have 4 kids and just about fill the small seating area up by ourselves, so we took our order to the park. There is not a whole lot in the way of veg. food, much of what they cook contains chicken, beef and pork. *We loved the Vegan empanadas, and the fried bananas! We would go back again for these item's and perhaps a couple others. * Good experience overall.

Pros: Good Food!

Cons: very small, no tables

Excellent - Edit

Amazing food!! One of my top five restaurants in Orlando. I've only ever gotten to-go as there's limited seating - but it's more than worth it. [the drive home can be a little difficult with the delicious smell filling your car, though...] Staff is also great and very helpful! They recently extended their hours - i've never been in there when it wasn't packed.

Pros: great food, great prices, friendly & helpful staff

Cons: limited seating, limited hours

Awesome food at a great price! - Edit

I crave the vegan empanadas constantly! That flaky crust filled with a seasoned "meat" and big chunks of carrots and potatoes. Add one to a tamale combo meal and you've got lunch and dinner! There is not much seating, and they get really busy, so we usually just get our food to go. Have a picnic!

Pros: Vegan Empanadas, Friendly and laid back, Great value

Cons: Limited seating

Return to Winter Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Black Bean Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2851 times since Aug 2007.